Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 MOTONICA Grand Prix Las Vegas Silver Bowl Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Zoot, did you read my posts above? I suggested that most (all?) modern scoring systems will happily run class A and class B together yet print different winners, etc. I've seen Rod do that at Blacksheep when there are two weak classes on a particular night.

Also when I added support for Dave's suggestion of run what you brung, I did so in the context that it's one of two possible solutions.

I'm trying to not just whine and see things from my only perspective - I'm trying to offer a solution. I think the solution that will make most people happy is a dual-class (spec and open) running together (assuming there's only like 5 of each class). If we're surprised and there are 8+ of each then perhaps running them separate would be ideal. Barring a two-class solution, 'run what you brung' is the only other way I can see it. We have some people who want box-spec (even Kyosho engine) and others who want open (with foams to boot!).

I've now made my suggestions and will shut up. I will also now put my entry form where my mouth is. The moment that Rich tells me I can run an open IGT (with foams), I'll sign up for both IGT and 1/10th nitro. Seriously, I'll phone in my payment within 24 hours. Truth be told, I'll likely be running 1/10th nitro either way but my IGT wasn't fun to drive on rubber so I'll pass on that.

Now, if I can't run IGT on foam I will cheer you all on and happily pit you all (but I'll take bribes to put some milk in Dave's gas tank).

PS - Even when we have our differences of opinion, this is a super fun hobby and I look forward to seeing you all in April

PPS - The foam set that Dave used to cheat (hehe) in qualifier (he didn't run them in the main) sell for $35 plus shipping on ebay for all four!

PPPS - Zoot, I'm happy to see rules followed. I personally am most interested in the Open class as defined by the midwest series (supposedly with help/input from Kyosho) for my car I know others are interested in other classes.

Last edited by Arboleda; 01-27-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am not sure if hop ups or motor, really make diffrence sometimes. In my opinion it comes down to driver and how well your car will hold up and not break down.

I seen some fast guys run with top motor and every hop up you can think of but when car breaks it pretty much over for you. I am going to get one of these cars they look seem to be lot of fun to run and price is right. Tho I have not seen any site with set ups for this car. Anyone know were to look?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Robert, there's a dedicated forum here that you may find to be of interest: http://infernogt.proboards102.com/index

Many of the guys on there are bashers but some are racers.

As far as setup goes, Garen's setup was absolute king of the hill in Vegas. He's an awesome driver too but you could tell that the setup was spot on.

I got some of the info from him after the race about setup but not everything. In the next few days (I need a little time) I could dig out those notes and then we could hit him up for the information that I didn't get at the time. He's really willing to share with anyone and everyone.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

When decisions are made I will be interested as well. In my opinion foam tires will be a bad idea for this class. If foam is allowed I will not be getting one of these cars. I too am not trying to whine and will pit for someone (just like I did last time). I just think in the long run it will be a bad move.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll gladly post the setup I used for my Aston Martin, including every hop up, every modification I made, and every piece of assembly advice I can remember, in the next few days. I can assure everyone that the reason why my car worked well was 95% tires ($60/set), setup (which costs almost nothing), and proper assembly/build (costs nothing but time). The motor I ran was a 2+ year old offroad Radical motor that sells for under $300, maybe even under $250. I like some of my cars to look really good, and I went all out on this one (this is a hobby after all), but I don't think the results would have been much different had I left out some ti screws and carbon fiber side guards. I'll even help anyone build their car and help them at the track in April...just like I offered last week.
Let's make this class at the Motonica GP just the same as it was at the Airtronics GP- fun, simple, and fun.

Now let's talk about 1/10th and 1/8th!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Cool.

Garen is going to be my IGT mechanic!!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Matt... did you read the entry form... 10 entries... for the class... not two embedded classes.

Garen.. you were very helpful at the race and if I had more time there I would have been able to do more of what you openly offered.

Scott... Thanks for the Pit work though I was out early. You really did help.... especially when you told me to stop hitting the wall
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

I said I'd shut up so I'll hold my tongue...

Change of topic...

My mtx-4 ran decent (given my limited skills/experience) but I'm curious whether there have been any popular setups published online somewhere, specific to silverbowl?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hmmm, If it called IGT class, then a rule should be they all be Inferno GT's then right?
I know one car was not. I really don't care that one was not, it's just that all these rules make enforcing them all that much harder, and ultimately less FUN.

Also, if Garens was %95 tires, then we are all screwed in the future because those tires are no longer going to be available.

In that case it leaves us with the GRP's which are worthless there, and Kyosho V-slicks. Or maybe an OFNA brand...?
The V-slicks according to guys in Florida are only lasting 2-3 race days.

Maybe they would work best and we could try them in Vegas, but... At $50 + every three weeks to buy, glue, and assemble new tires, I will be not interested in that.

The guys who bought the medial pro tires didn't seem too impressed with them. That is why I passed on them.
Honestly, Garen just had the right set-up.

I am thinking of just using an old set of crimefighters from my 8ight next time.
Can't be any worse....
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Gus got one from a mugen site I believe that was specific for Silver Bowl.

He'd have to show you all the shock hole settings and all that.

It was 190 front width
200 rear width.
2 deg toe in rear
1 degree toe out front
camber was...? 2 1/2 rear and 2 front I think.
ride height was 4 front and 5 rear if I remember correctly
Called for a front one-way too
Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Front width was probably 199
Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a stash of Medial Pro 25, 35, and 45 shore tires put away, enough for about 5 or 6 guys, so if you want to run them in April, let me know now. 1 set of tires will last you a long time. My tires look almost as good as new.

I have not tried any other tire on this car, but based on what I saw at the race and based on how my car ran, I would have to say they work just fine. My setup was an educated guess, based partly on off road buggy setup knowledge, and partly on sedan experience. I setup the car knowing I would run a harder front tire, and with the exception of a couple of changes I made at the track, I was pretty close to start with. Anyone who ran these tires and did not like them either ran the wrong combination of tires or had other setup issues.

I said my car was 95% tires ($60/set), setup (which costs almost nothing), and proper assembly/build (costs nothing but time). Setup and assembly are a big part of that 95%.

Now the good news. I am trying to get these tires made elsewhere. I doubt I'll have them before April, but I am trying. I also have some other tires coming in for testing. I have no idea if they are any good (or bad), but as soon as I get to try them, I'll post something here.

Scott, sure, I'll be your wrench. Just make sure you use a good quality exhaust gasket, I would hate for your high dollar IGT motor to go lean.

MTX-4 setups- contact Robbie at Mugen...he has raced in Vegas many times (and won once or twice) and should have a good setup for you. Maybe you can convince him to come race in April.

We will have a race within the race for the unsponsored guys in 1/8th and maybe 1/10th as well. I want to do something different, instead of a 20 minute race....I have a cool idea and as soon as I talk it over with Rich we'll post the format here.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, your right
199 in the front
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

garen; what is the for sure date for this April race please?

Billy
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YLLIB
garen; what is the for sure date for this April race please?

Billy
The 2008 Motonica Grand Prix will take place April 9th to 13th, 2008.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.