Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

bvoltz: Now, that's the way to promote the hobby. Right in front of Bass Pro Shops on a sunday !! RIGHT ON MAN !! Now, I understand where all the foot traffic comes from. That's a great thing your doing for your location, the hobby, and I commend you for that. There's not too many tracks located in areas where the track is located in front of a major store (especially, bass pro shops where you're pretty much gurenteed alot of exposure ). In Japan and other asia countries, they sometime host races inside a Mall where everybody is located on the weekend. Keep up the good work bvoltz.

On a side note: Does bass pro shops ever have any sales on G-Loomis rods and shamino calcutta reels
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by khubner
as a new comer to the hobby recently buying an electric drifter to learn controll and cordination amoung others i know how expensive the hobby can be $260 au and since buying 2 weeks ago i have spent over 200 in parts. hitting a pole at 20k's sideways is not kind to any car. already looking into nitro mainly the hobao gpx4 which is rtr 2spd and aparently race legal with a hyper 12 and with a pro upgrade kit costing 200AU thus this car seems a good investment to me but at 600AU and the obvious time/ expense involved must consider the options seriously with the local track 1/2 an hour away. im seriously starting to consider trying to get the 4 lhs to get together and run racedays down near the beach in a very popular park with large event area. directly across the raod from a major shopping centre. my main drawback is the time effort and knowledge required and as a youngin would realy like to see higher publicity even if competing or running close to others is outa my reach affordability and convenience are what would sell me
I'm not sure if you mean you are a young person, or you are new to R/C, if you are new to R/C, you are have step up... (now please do not jump on me you long timers...) You do not have the history to get out of your head. It has been one of my keys of sucess... Too R/C dumb to know better, and it works... It is time for everyone to toss out the book and look at from a newbie's point of view, break out of the box and try something new at each club race. Longer races for elec. change the format, change the track if you are running in a temp location, etc... I allow BL in all classes, I allow LiPo, I allow you to run 4 cells or 5 cell or 6 cell all in the same class at different weights, I do not want all the drama, I just want people to race, not bench race. We are not a national race, we are a group having fun and racing our little toy cars. The minute that stops, I will stop the race program. Fun FIRST. If you want to test your skills, you can attend Snow Birds, GLC, Nationals, etc.... not the Bass Pro race... Sorry if some of you taken this personal, but some times you need to step back and remember what got you into R/C and reproduce it for the newbies. The reason we race at Bass Pro is to promote R/C first, racing is second, and everyone knows it and enjoyes it. A lot of great things have been said by the bigger names... And not just couple... I do care what racers want and they are part of the race program, at each and every race. After all it is for all of us...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roger
bvoltz: Now, that's the way to promote the hobby. Right in front of Bass Pro Shops on a sunday !! RIGHT ON MAN !! Now, I understand where all the foot traffic comes from. That's a great thing your doing for your location, the hobby, and I commend you for that. There's not too many tracks located in areas where the track is located in front of a major store (especially, bass pro shops where you're pretty much gurenteed alot of exposure ). In Japan and other asia countries, they sometime host races inside a Mall where everybody is located on the weekend. Keep up the good work bvoltz.

On a side note: Does bass pro shops ever have any sales on G-Loomis rods and shamino calcutta reels
Thanks and I'm always willing to help anyone that wants to look at this, but you can not be against a lot of work... But in the end I really enjoy it, seeing everyone having fun, it makes it all worth it...

What is a: "G-Loomis rods and shamino calcutta reels" sorry I'm not a outdoors men... I grow up on the farm for 16 year and the was enough for me...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roger

Thanks and I'm always willing to help anyone that wants to look at this, but you can not be against a lot of work... But in the end I really enjoy it, seeing everyone having fun, it makes it all worth it...

What is a: "G-Loomis rods and shamino calcutta reels" sorry I'm not a outdoors men... I grow up on the farm for 16 year and the was enough for me...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
We are adults, playing with toy cars, having a good time. This is what keeps us racing.
Well said! In my opinion, a class dies when racing becomes "too serious", it happened to eletric, to 200mm and it will probably happen to 1/8 off-road anytime. Then another class will become the "hot" class, and the cycle will start again...

When you have to invest too much time and money to be competitive, it takes the fun out of it... Some time ago I raced at the 200mm regionals, but when I got to the point where I spent too many nights working on my car, practicing almost every weekend, and waking up at 6 in the morning on Sundays to race, I realized that I wasn't having much fun anymore...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've been racing 200mm sedan for 2.5 years now and have had a blast. I've had a relationship with R/C my whole life, but this time around, I've taken it to a whole new level. I grew up with dreams of becoming a basketball, soccer, football star, which died at the end of high school. Sedan racing has brought back the child in me with dreams of becoming a great driver. My point is, I love strong competition and I enjoy seeing drivers in tears from both happiness and dissappointment because it shows how passionate drivers are about there hobby/sport.

To the nubee, be patient and practice. Read forums, manuals, and by all means practice, experiment, and race within your class. Avoid pointless spending on aftermarket hop ups because your skill level will not be able to make the most out of them. This is what makes R/C racing more fun than just driving in an empty parking lot: The racing is for minutes out the day, but the ritual of preping a car, hanging out with friends who share the passion, and the drive down the track on an early Sunday morning to get the whiff of VHT makes for a great experience. If you race nationally, your experience is all the more grand

Understand on any given day, there will always be someone better than you and it's a hella fun trying to catchem.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

double post
Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Sedanfahrer
Well said! In my opinion, a class dies when racing becomes "too serious", it happened to eletric, to 200mm and it will probably happen to 1/8 off-road anytime. Then another class will become the "hot" class, and the cycle will start again...
Not compleetly my opinion.....
RC racing can get a serious level, for sure when racing national but is it the way to turn your back to when it is no fun anymore ?
You can also fight for a hobby-class as I once did. The 8th scale onroad was going down from 3 classes to 2 and ended up to 1 group of a maximum of 64 people. I alway sugested that 2 or more groups/classes will give more fun to the slower people when they can end up to a podiumplace and so we did go back to 2 classes and now we have a 3rd one which is actually an open clubrace with a goal to promote to the faster national classes.

Otherwise we have seen the popularity of the Tamiya and Kyosho races which are only for 1 brand. It shows there is a need for racing with RTR cars....
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot Again?

We at RC Pro Series feel the same way.

Earlier this year we put together a Nitro only race at Homestead Miami Motor Speedway. Art Carbonell designed a track that allowed the entire INDY race fans the opportunity to see R/C racing for the first time.

There were over 50 thousand people at the track that weekend and every time the Nitro cars started the crowds surrounded the R/C track. Anyone that was there will tell you that it was incredible to see real crowds.

The biggest problem we’ve found attracting “New Blood” to our sport is “sticker shock”. People see our cars and they love them. They ask how fast they are and how much they cost.

How many of you have seen the looks on their faces when you tell them how much it costs to be competitive? You know that look, the one you see right before they say….$2-4K, man that’s crazy!

Now, it you told them they could run in a class where the cars were $400 -$500 each, we wouldn’t see that “are you crazy” look as much.

That is the reason RC Pro Series is entertaining the concept of “promotional racing events” to include RTRs that makes financial sense and can provide an entry level class that will attract more “normal” people to R/C racing.

In Tamps Florida this December 1-2, we are scheduling a racing event in another hi-visibility location in the heart of the city. The event will be a charity race intended to show the community and civic leaders what R/C racing is all about.

Our first of many such events will feature a “class” for the Kyosho Inferno GT RTR type vehicles. They’re great looking, big, fast, very durable and loud. The “price-point” is acceptable and people will be more apt to get started racing.

The other alternative is to continue to do what has always been done and wonder why R/C racing has never gone “Main-Stream”.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed

Earlier this year we put together a Nitro only race at Homestead Miami Motor Speedway. Art Carbonell designed a track that allowed the entire INDY race fans the opportunity to see R/C racing for the first time.

There were over 50 thousand people at the track that weekend and every time the Nitro cars started the crowds surrounded the R/C track. Anyone that was there will tell you that it was incredible to see real crowds.

The biggest problem we’ve found attracting “New Blood” to our sport is “sticker shock”. People see our cars and they love them. They ask how fast they are and how much they cost.

How many of you have seen the looks on their faces when you tell them how much it costs to be competitive? You know that look, the one you see right before they say….$2-4K, man that’s crazy!

Now, it you told them they could run in a class where the cars were $400 -$500 each, we wouldn’t see that “are you crazy” look as much.

That is the reason RC Pro Series is entertaining the concept of “promotional racing events” to include RTRs that makes financial sense and can provide an entry level class that will attract more “normal” people to R/C racing.

In Tamps Florida this December 1-2, we are scheduling a racing event in another hi-visibility location in the heart of the city. The event will be a charity race intended to show the community and civic leaders what R/C racing is all about.

Our first of many such events will feature a “class” for the Kyosho Inferno GT RTR type vehicles. They’re great looking, big, fast, very durable and loud. The “price-point” is acceptable and people will be more apt to get started racing.

The other alternative is to continue to do what has always been done and wonder why R/C racing has never gone “Main-Stream”.
I think the Inferno GT class would be a great class to have for the RC Pro Series. This would introduce more people to an affordable class. As someone who just invested in a 1/10 kit, I can tell you, the price of admission can be intimidating. There are not too many people under 25 willing to invest the $$$ to get into racing. Having a class with Inferno GT type cars, especially if ROAR/IFMAR/RC Pro Series behind it would be great.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blanks596
I've been racing 200mm sedan for 2.5 years now and have had a blast. I've had a relationship with R/C my whole life, but this time around, I've taken it to a whole new level. I grew up with dreams of becoming a basketball, soccer, football star, which died at the end of high school. Sedan racing has brought back the child in me with dreams of becoming a great driver. My point is, I love strong competition and I enjoy seeing drivers in tears from both happiness and dissappointment because it shows how passionate drivers are about there hobby/sport.

To the nubee, be patient and practice. Read forums, manuals, and by all means practice, experiment, and race within your class. Avoid pointless spending on aftermarket hop ups because your skill level will not be able to make the most out of them. This is what makes R/C racing more fun than just driving in an empty parking lot: The racing is for minutes out the day, but the ritual of preping a car, hanging out with friends who share the passion, and the drive down the track on an early Sunday morning to get the whiff of VHT makes for a great experience. If you race nationally, your experience is all the more grand

Understand on any given day, there will always be someone better than you and it's a hella fun trying to catchem.
That is a really good post.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot Again?

That would mean all sanctioning bodies working together for the common good.

It would be nice to talk together in an open forum.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

that's a good post......

but, I don't think price has everything to do with it...my whole group of friends started racing in 1996....and having a 1000 dollar HPI Rs4 (remember, Ball bearings weren't even standard back then).....or a 1,000 dollar GP spyder never deterred us........

because you could spend whatever, have a car that was as good as the guy next to you....was not overly complicated, learn to race, and have fun..

the problem today is that the cars are faster, cheaper, more complex......and there is a RC base that knows how to race......but to a newbie, who either gets a high end car and gets overwhelmed (esp when I make it look easy..).....

or buys a less inexpensive kit....and gets smoked by a hand modified Rb or nova, the whole process becomes less fun...

and makes video gaming more appealing.........

the answer isn't in the dollars spent......

its in the fun per dollar spent...............

and RC racing today has become less fun.......for alot of reasons....
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

That would mean all sanctioning bodies working together for the common good.

It would be nice to talk together in an open forum.
I cannot see a better way to grow the sport then to have all the bodies in some sort of agreement. Would probably help to get the some of the R/C companies (Mugen, Kyosho, Ofna, etc.) involved as well. If more RTR Inferno GT class cars start to show up, the sticker shock for new guys will be greatly reduced. The sport must grow organically (RTR to RTR "pro" to Pro)

I think I'm up to 20 cent now.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot?

Originally Posted by fastharry
that's a good post......

but, I don't think price has everything to do with it...my whole group of friends started racing in 1996....and having a 1000 dollar HPI Rs4 (remember, Ball bearings weren't even standard back then).....or a 1,000 dollar GP spyder never deterred us........

because you could spend whatever, have a car that was as good as the guy next to you....was not overly complicated, learn to race, and have fun..

the problem today is that the cars are faster, cheaper, more complex......and there is a RC base that knows how to race......but to a newbie, who either gets a high end car and gets overwhelmed (esp when I make it look easy..).....

or buys a less inexpensive kit....and gets smoked by a hand modified Rb or nova, the whole process becomes less fun...

and makes video gaming more appealing.........

the answer isn't in the dollars spent......

its in the fun per dollar spent...............

and RC racing today has become less fun.......for alot of reasons....
Harry,

During the RC Pro Homestead Miami Speedway race, Sony PS2 had a huge “Rig” right across our track for people to play their video games.

The truth is that we had more people interested in R/C racing all weekend long. I think Sony PS2 learned something too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.