200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

We tried rental cars.And that was when our turnout were good. Evrybody thought it would be a good idea, we just never had the intrest we thought it would bring.We would have 50-75 spectators, and maybe 1 or 2 would try it.
I guess I am just trying to let some know, none of these ideas are new.
I think a renal program would do better, when races weren't going on. I think people wanted to try it, but maybe not have so many people watching. Which is why you have bashers.I think slot cars are a good example of that. They rent cars all day long and then race at night. Trinity built a spec on road electric car. They offered, the car, battery, tires, motor and just a couple of bodies. I would think that if it was something that worked, they would still be making it.
I have watched alot of people come and go, the one thing I have seen over and over again is , the kind of people that get into racing don't buy the budget car, bashers buy those cars.And they are by far the majority of the market.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Same old song and dance

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Just because not every noob that tries the spec class becomes a harcore racer doesnt mean we shouldnt try it, if out of 10 guys 2 hang around and become racers, is better than none.
That’s the way I see it too.
Its a numbers game, the more that try it, the more may stay.

The hardest thing about On-Road racing from a promotional standpoint is that we’ve experienced an “Elite Attitude” that some “Hard-core” racers demonstrate when growth topics and ideas are discussed.

It’s hard enough putting together promotional events and we have to deal with people that really don’t want R/C to grow all the time.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slcf1
Rampage, all of those events buy time on ESPN. An hour of prime-time cable (pick any station from the Travel Channel, Speed, to ESPN) goes for no less than $100,000. So if you have $100,000 for a one time buy of one hour on national cable and can sell the production/content/commercials to make it viable then put it together yourself. ESPN doesn't wake up every day and say, "hmmm, maybe we need to spend time and resources showing the world the diversity of sport". That's the old ABC Wide World of Sports way of thinking but there's too much money being thrown at all the major stations that they don't need to create something cause they will just sell the time to infomercials... no effort and easy money.
WOW this was really good infomation... Many thanks...

But are people out that provided this service... For example, what if I'm willing to spend the money (get a group together and fund it) but we do not have the contacts to sell ads, and make this whole thing happen... I know we would have to get a Video done to air, but the business of TV, I have no experince in this and really do not have the time....
Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

What it is coming down to is this: (note you may need to modify this for your area )

10. Do a race a month in public area. Bring exposure to R/C. Demo other forms of R/C... Make it an R/C event, not a race. Racers need to remember you are show casing R/C.

20. Create a "production" class for newbies (this is key so that the experts can help the newbies and coach them) Nitro brings people to watch, sorry elec guys, and I'm one of you....

30. Look for a way to get this on TV, maybe start with News (Feel Good is always a door opener), do a race and maybe a blood drive, YMCA... something for the comunity, News crews will come if they know...

40. Someone needs to start playing with taping a race to see what is possible and what is not. (Far out idea, but, some how (colored light) something to show what car is what postion so people can follow the race. Like Green for 1st, yellow for 2nd... I do not know how but lets put our heads together and maybe someone has a great idea...

Look all this is work, but if you want to race, everyone needs to setup (racers and LHS) and do what will work with your area and budget... I'm sure that some do this already, but others do not...

I'm sure others would like to add to this list, so I have numbered them with space for you to add. I went to college for computers... Plus I'm dating myself. I'm olderrrr...
Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WARDO
No body sanctioned, truggys, touring cars, or the 15 open class, untill enough of them showed up and wanted to race.Even the Hpi Challenge, was had alot more serious racers than new people. The last 2 I went, I borrowed a car to go.The assumption here is that if companies build a cheap entry level car, on road racin will pick up again.That is like saying, when Chevy, Ford and Dodge race, people will race their cars. Racing is not their objective, selling cars is.The people that go and spend 400 dollars to get into racing,will soon realize, that that 400 dollars,is not all they have to spend to go racing.
These ideas, of spec class, or entry level class or rental classes, have all been tried before. The people that tried these classes, realized that,the cost of racing is alot more than the cost of getting in.And those who stayed in racing wished they would have saved their money and bought a good competetive car to begin with. And thats why I said an entry level class is alot like suckering in racers.THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BUDGET RACING.
You know how to make small fortune in racing ? Start with a big one.
While I agree with on "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BUDGET RACING", but some have smaller budgets to work with. It like everyone thinks that stock is cheaper to run then mod. That is a big joke, stock is one of the most expensive classes to run. What I think Jspeed and I are saying, at the club level you need a "production" class or box stock class, for people to start with.

But I do agree with you. Racing is racing... I think you can some people to get in slowly over time... and they want to start simple (I can not say easy, because what is easy for some of us, is very hard for newbie....)
Old 08-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Wardo

We tried rental cars.And that was when our turnout were good. Evrybody thought it would be a good idea, we just never had the intrest we thought it would bring.We would have 50-75 spectators, and maybe 1 or 2 would try it.
I guess I am just trying to let some know, none of these ideas are new.
I think a renal program would do better, when races weren't going on. I think people wanted to try it, but maybe not have so many people watching. Which is why you have bashers.I think slot cars are a good example of that. They rent cars all day long and then race at night. Trinity built a spec on road electric car. They offered, the car, battery, tires, motor and just a couple of bodies. I would think that if it was something that worked, they would still be making it.
I have watched alot of people come and go, the one thing I have seen over and over again is , the kind of people that get into racing don't buy the budget car, bashers buy those cars.And they are by far the majority of the market.
Your years in R/C are acknowledged and respected but you need to consider a few things.

Today there are several factors that our sport and industry needs to realize.

If you look back 10 to 20 years ago, the price of gas was a lot different than today. There are hundreds of thousands of people that just can’t justify racing a full sized “Hot Rod” anymore. It costs too much money. Have you tried to buy an old Roadrunner or GTO lately? It is crazy.

What about all of them? They used to like to race their “pride and joys”. Are we as a collective trying to market our events and products towards them? Aren’t they “hard-core” enough?

Right now it’s Saturday night. My Corvette is sitting in the garage because it’s raining but even if it wasn’t, how much money do you think it costs to go out and do a few “Holeshots” with an LT1 powered car?

How about the cost of a set of the "slicks" that I enjoy smoking so much. Have you seen the price of "Hooker Headers" lately? Have you priced a complete "Roller Cam Kit"? It is sick.

If you think people have a problem with the cost of R/C, check out full scale racing, you'll have a heart attack.

R/C racing is the closest it gets to real racing. There are so many people out there that would love to race R/C cars if they only knew it existed.

So if something was tried years before, that doesn’t mean that it’s an idea that doesn’t work, it could just have been a good idea that was way ahead of its time.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow you guys have made alot a really great valid points. I started racing Rc 2 wheel drive offroad(rc10) back in the early 90's. I remember back then you had a lot of fast guys that would not pay any attention to the slower guys this was always disturbing to me. You have to understand there is no one that likes to come to the track and week after week get his head bashed in by the fast guy...the problem I see is that just like in the 90's most people love to hold on to there speeed secrets so they can keep that edge, never letting the guy that is slower in on the tip..this is one major problem that hurts the sport. I know what your gonna say..in all of motorsports you have this happening, but this sport hasn't grown as rapidly as it should and I feel a lot of it has to do with hands on technical support to the average racer, its just not there. Hey the way I look at is you get everyone up to speed this way everyone will get faster as a whole. Help out your fellow racer, and if at one time you do become a high caliber driver do not forget you at one time began at a lower level. Basically just try to help the newbie as much as possible and hopefully the newbie will do the same when catches up that's the key.

Also races need to be more Spectator friendly Jeff I talk to you about this you what I mean.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed

What about all of them? They used to like to race their “pride and joys”. Are we as a collective trying to market our events and products towards them? Aren’t they “hard-core” enough?

R/C racing is the closest it gets to real racing. There are so many people out there that would love to race R/C cars if they only knew it existed..
That is exactly my point.The class you have for new people, is novice.Don't limit them to a single car, let them run whatever they have.Getting racing in front of people, is the most important thing. Somebody (in an earlier post) said they got into racing , when a friend let him drive. I am hoping, I can talk our hobbyshop into running at a much more visible location, maybe once a month.We have a Bass Pro Shop, right by the entrance to Six Flags. If that spot won't attract a crowd, I don't know what will.We got to set up a track at one of the VIP gates, at the Texas Motor Speedway, during one of the IRL and Craftsman Truck Series. The crowd was huge. But that club , got some property and built a pemanent track.And now the only people that might see their track, are lost. Getting racing in front of those that CAN afford it, is more important , than starting a class thats cheap.
ALL RACING COST EXACTLY THE SAME. ALL YOU HAVE TO SPEND ON IT
Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
What it is coming down to is this: (note you may need to modify this for your area )

10. Do a race a month in public area. Bring exposure to R/C. Demo other forms of R/C... Make it an R/C event, not a race. Racers need to remember you are show casing R/C.

20. Create a "production" class for newbies (this is key so that the experts can help the newbies and coach them) Nitro brings people to watch, sorry elec guys, and I'm one of you....

30. Look for a way to get this on TV, maybe start with News (Feel Good is always a door opener), do a race and maybe a blood drive, YMCA... something for the comunity, News crews will come if they know...

40. Someone needs to start playing with taping a race to see what is possible and what is not. (Far out idea, but, some how (colored light) something to show what car is what postion so people can follow the race. Like Green for 1st, yellow for 2nd... I do not know how but lets put our heads together and maybe someone has a great idea...

Look all this is work, but if you want to race, everyone needs to setup (racers and LHS) and do what will work with your area and budget... I'm sure that some do this already, but others do not...

I'm sure others would like to add to this list, so I have numbered them with space for you to add. I went to college for computers... Plus I'm dating myself. I'm olderrrr...

also, I'd like to point another area......

RC's are just not about racing........

I meet ALOT of people at the LHS that build cars as a hobby, because it relaxes them, they enjoy building something, and getting the satisfaction of seeing it run. And then, they get involved with racing as an extension of the LOVE they have for their HOBBY.

so lets not get in a rut thinking that racing is the only way to pique interest.........

I saw my nitro car at my LHS in 1996.....I knew I wanted to build one even before I saw one run..........

I omly started racing it afterwards.....

Racing my cars has always been second to building a car and watching it come alive,..........and ALL the enjoyment that includes...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Default Wardo

That is exactly my point.The class you have for new people, is novice.Don't limit them to a single car, let them run whatever they have.Getting racing in front of people, is the most important thing. Somebody (in an earlier post) said they got into racing , when a friend let him drive. I am hoping, I can talk our hobbyshop into running at a much more visible location, maybe once a month.We have a Bass Pro Shop, right by the entrance to Six Flags. If that spot won't attract a crowd, I don't know what will.We got to set up a track at one of the VIP gates, at the Texas Motor Speedway, during one of the IRL and Craftsman Truck Series. The crowd was huge. But that club , got some property and built a pemanent track.And now the only people that might see their track, are lost. Getting racing in front of those that CAN afford it, is more important , than starting a class thats cheap.
ALL RACING COST EXACTLY THE SAME. ALL YOU HAVE TO SPEND ON IT
Wardo,

First off, the people I was talking can’t race what they have because they’ve been racing Real Not Toy Cars. I’m talking about the “Hot Rod” owner that think R/C cars are made by Radio Shack.

If you also spend all of your time trying to attract the “VIP” of the world then you continue the “elite” thing. For our sport to be recognized by corporate America, it needs to attract the “masses” not just the few.

Growing R/C racing will never happen by excluding Middle Class America.

You do know that I organized the RC Pro Series race at Homestead Miami International Speedway during the Indy XM Radio 300, last March, right?
Getting the racing in front of thousands of people was great.

Those people all asked the same questions: how fast & how much? They all had the same, are you serious, that much blanking money?

So yes Wardo, more affluent people will buy the most expensive products from the "get go", but if we want to go mainstream “price-point” is everything.

I found a forum for a track in the New York area called “Pro Speed RC Raceway”

Check out their thread topic GT Inferno Class Info., you might find it interesting and one of the guys on the thread is very recognizable, “raffaelli”, just so you guys can see that even a veteran and respected R/C racer is enjoying this class as well.

http://prospeeds.activeboard.com/ind...opicID=9887423
Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot

Originally Posted by fastharry
also, I'd like to point another area......

RC's are just not about racing........

I meet ALOT of people at the LHS that build cars as a hobby, because it relaxes them, they enjoy building something, and getting the satisfaction of seeing it run. And then, they get involved with racing as an extension of the LOVE they have for their HOBBY.

so lets not get in a rut thinking that racing is the only way to pique interest.........

I saw my nitro car at my LHS in 1996.....I knew I wanted to build one even before I saw one run..........

I omly started racing it afterwards.....

Racing my cars has always been second to building a car and watching it come alive,..........and ALL the enjoyment that includes...
Harry,

You made a valid point you mentioned that RC is not all about racing.
I’m glad you did.

The Number 1 problem that has kept RC racing from being a recognized and respected sport in the eyes of the “mainstream world” is not being able to separate the hobby from the sport.

A hobby of building bicycles & collecting is relaxing and rewarding to the hobbyist.

The second you race someone with your bicycle, it has become a sport, a competition, and you push your limits to win.

Do you see the difference?

If you still don’t understand here’s another example of hobby vs. sport.

A guy loves to make golf clubs, he also loves collecting vintage clubs and keeps all of them in a case shiny & clean.

One day a guy at work “Challenges” him to a round of golf.

At the very first “Tee” the competition is on. The hobby is over and the sport has begun!

We at RC Pro enjoy the hobby, but our events are sports and we want attendance & corporate America to love what we do too.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Harry,

You made a valid point you mentioned that RC is not all about racing.
I’m glad you did.

The Number 1 problem that has kept RC racing from being a recognized and respected sport in the eyes of the “mainstream world” is not being able to separate the hobby from the sport.

A hobby of building bicycles & collecting is relaxing and rewarding to the hobbyist.

The second you race someone with your bicycle, it has become a sport, a competition, and you push your limits to win.

Do you see the difference?

If you still don’t understand here’s another example of hobby vs. sport.

A guy loves to make golf clubs, he also loves collecting vintage clubs and keeps all of them in a case shiny & clean.

One day a guy at work “Challenges” him to a round of golf.

At the very first “Tee” the competition is on. The hobby is over and the sport has begun!

We at RC Pro enjoy the hobby, but our events are sports and we want attendance & corporate America to love what we do too.
trust me J, I hear you....

I just wanted people to realize there are more aspects to this HOBBY than racing......

if you only cater to those who get the racing bug, you lose out on a segment of the people who just want a casual hobby.....and enjoy building, painting, playing etc....on a non competetive level......

we need to work on all aspects of the RC world.....
Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default SPORT

Originally Posted by fastharry
trust me J, I hear you....

I just wanted people to realize there are more aspects to this HOBBY than racing......

if you only cater to those who get the racing bug, you lose out on a segment of the people who just want a casual hobby.....and enjoy building, painting, playing etc....on a non competetive level......

we need to work on all aspects of the RC world.....
Harry,

The word you looking for is SPORT.

Say it Harry, don’t be scared, and say RC RACING IS A SPORT!

Hobby sounds, kinda like “I have a little hobby, wanna see my little hobby, when I grow up, I’ll still love my little hobby, hobby-hobby-hobby sounds kinda gay don’t you think? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, lol.

Look man, we need more people racing On-Road RC cars at our tracks. If the manufacturers of hi-end cars want to see some REAL sales numbers for a change, they should want the same too.

The only way to attract NEW RACERS to RC racing is to first stop calling racing a hobby. Racing is a SPORT.

If you tell people that Baseball or Rock Paper Scissors is a hoppy they won’t respect what you’re doing. The “Mainstream American Public” only respects SPORTS.

O’yea, and Sports pay the Winners MONEY!

RC Pro Series supports MONEY races and to all of us, our sponsors & our racers this is more than just a little hobby.

RC Racing is a Sport.

I have to leave now, I have a new track in Tampa to build to help grow our Sport of RC racing.

Peace out, all the best