Super Size discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Size discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sydewynder, what clutch are you using? Also which engine mounts? (because I'm not ready to give 50$ for adjustable ones) Is your Super heavily hopped up to survive the power of the Novarossi Big block?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sydewynder, what clutch are you using? Also which engine mounts? (because I'm not ready to give 50$ for adjustable ones) Is your Super heavily hopped up to survive the power of the Novarossi Big block?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Speed De
I'm using an MIP/HPI racing clutch. The mounts I got are WolfPack but Ofna sells an adjustble mount that's more adjustable than the WolfPack and cheaper.

I'm running:

HPI super SuperNitro chassis
HPI graphite upper deck
Cross Al upper arms
Cross Al bulkheads
Cross Al midblock
MIP shiny CVDs
HPI hardened outdrives
Robinson Al small pulleys
Ofna 2 speed
CRC Al steering
Kyosho metal disc brake with Robinson pads
Some other stuff I don't remember offhand

The pieces that get worn out fastest are the outdrives. Get the longer silver Rush ones. The so called hardened ones seem like the same soft metal just plated.
I have twisted dogbones before. They're straight but if you look at the pins at the ends of the bone, they don't line up like when new.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Any other FW04 owners besides Syde, psycho, and me?

Oh yeah....they're right too. My FW04 is a pig in the corners but the car is very easy to drive.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Dan

Yeah, where did everyone go? I guess everyone is racing foam sedan class this year.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Originally posted by psycho
Dan

Yeah, where did everyone go? I guess everyone is racing foam sedan class this year.
Not sure, hope the Super10 class doesn't get killed off like the 1/10th .15 Class. I last raced the FW04 at the November RCCAR race. Check it out, I'm in the results. Did terrible but not bad for running 2WD...
Old 03-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default FW04 is a pig in the corners

Originally posted by Dan
Any other FW04 owners besides Syde, psycho, and me?

Oh yeah....they're right too. My FW04 is a pig in the corners but the car is very easy to drive.
Why do you Guys say this? With a fully adjustable suspension and F/R toe, you should be able to dial in/out anything you like.
A little less Rear toe and a little Front Toe-out should help make it more nimble.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Believe me, tried it all. I'm running a much stiffer rear end and changed my caster settings now to get some more steering and induce oversteer. It still is not as repsonsive as I like (maybe because I'm used to my onroad with oneway) and I could use more steering.

I mainly think its the overall weight and more unsprung weight on each of the 4 corners of the FW04 which causes its handling characteristics.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

I got the FW04 to handle pretty decent now. Running less rear toe, stiffer springs in the back, swaybar in the back only, smallest degree of front caster, and less rear droop.

Pops:

The car always seem to have the rear really planted so it feels like there's not enough front bite and steering. Turn in and transitions feel slower than my Supernitro because of the weight. The car is fun to drive since I have a 4 stroke in it.

You are right that we should be able to free up the rear for more steering. I guess for me I just haven't been spending enough time to play with it. Racing 1/10 electric, 1/10 gas touring foam + messing with 1/8 buggy, 1/10 onroad etc. just doesn't leave much time to try things out.

Dan:

Alot of people decided to go 1/10 gas foam only this year. A local by the name of Chris A is running a super now so + 1 for super size, - 10 for those that left.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Syde, some of the guys on the other FW04 forum are saying OS is releasing a new .30 4 stroke. Not sure how reliable the sources are. Anyways, I think I need new valve springs for my engine.

Probably need to swap engines for that Fremont track too.

Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sydewynder
[B]I
I guess for me I just haven't been spending enough time to play with it. Racing 1/10 electric, 1/10 gas touring foam + messing with 1/8 buggy, 1/10 onroad etc. just doesn't leave much time to try things out.

Dan:[B]
Man do I know what your talking about. Way too many Cars to work on.

I did get my Foam tires and Donuts for the Super today. Hopefully I can find the time to get the Super set-up before Sunday, to try them out.

Steven (popsracer)
Old 03-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super set-up

Guys;

Mounted my new Foams on the Super today and the Wide Rears rub the Header on the left side. Time for some gentle re-bending AGAIN.
I'm going to put 40wt oil Front and 35wt oil Rear and try some different spring combinations Starting with Green/Black. Am also going to increase the Droop F & R by a few mm's. I used to race the Cars on High Traction Asphalt, but the track is no more, so I'm stuck with LOW traction surfaces.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ttt
Old 03-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

hey popsracer hows that fantom 15 working with the foams on.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah Pops... how do you like the Foams ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.