Super Size discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Size discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

As a spectator, you can see that touring bodies on supers do sway more. Supers act the way our other cars do, except exponential greater when it comes to suspension movement. It is a little like watching RC10GT's race on road... It is really funny at times.

If there was a lot of close competition in this class still, it would be a fun class. I saw a super race where the leader and the second place driver were nose to tail for what seemed half the race... at the club level, you can't usually see that. You could focus a little more on racing than fast lap times.

If I had more money, and more super cars were racing at the track, I would try it, but it is dying off- so it seems -locally.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
I'm happy that there is a forum about SN in here.I had read some posts of popracer about the modification but i didn't quite get what he actualy modified. Can you please explain me again what have you actualy done!! 10x
Old 03-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Lazy,

Nobody around here had a Super. I bought mine after driving one at the Orlando HPI Challenge. I had so much fun driving it and traded another car for it... After I got it.. and showed up at the track, and let some people drive it, then the idea has started to catch on. I run a super for a couple of reasons.

1. it is a fringe class, not mainstream, It seems people are not so crazy competeive in the fringe classes, and have more fun with them.

2. I run rubber tires that last a long time. I run similar lap times to the guys running Foams that get eaten in 1 night. Those guys laughed at me when the super showed... Now they are bitching that I run a LMR body....

3. Cost effective. Between the tires, and parts, this car is pretty cheap to run and hs proven to be durable.

I only race it competitively in our 2 hour enduro races, which we have a seperate Super class. That car put more grins on my face then dollars out of my pocket. We had no supers.... Now we have 5
Old 03-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Pops,

Thanks for the tip on the inserts... Do you have to trim themto get the tires to seat properly too ?

Also.. On the body issue. I dont mind the body sway... Kinda makes the car look a little more scale. Just as long as everyone else is hampered with the sway.. A bunch of us just bought Skylines... so we will run those .
Old 03-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default spooky;

I agree about the GRIN factor of the Super's.

If you're all running Sedan Bodies, then everything should be equal, right.

Last time that I raced mine at our permanent track, I had a bunch of Guys complain that I was an Expert Nitro driver and should race in that class (which I do with my 1/10th's).
I countered with, the Super is Heavier, still has a small block and everyone else is running Foams. I got 4th (out of 9) in a 20 minute race.

I think one of the things that hurts the Super's popularity with the Racers, is the lack of a better Tire selection, like 1/10th Cars have.

I do not remember having to trim anything off the inserts.
Comment: I don't think you will like the firm inserts unless there is a TON of traction.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-13-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

What's up, spooky?

Here's my input on bodies from my experiences racing my FW04 last year. Since the car has 280mm track width, I tried a few different "narrow" bodies.

HPI BWM LPM V12 - Good downforce, adjustable rear wing. Tends to push as all "wedge" bodies do. Overall, my first choice.

Kyosho Mercedes CLK-DTM - Good overall balance of steering and downforce. The last thing a super size car needs is more body roll and the high cg of this body adds roll.

HPI Nissan Skyline GTR - Feels as good as the CLK body, but has less roll. A good choice.

HPI Toyota TS020 GTP - (300mm) This body handles very well, but tends to get crunched up and touch the front wheels with a front impact. If the frontend popped out, I would race this body.

Our Superten class is totally open except for tires. We require rubber tires, but anything else goes. If you guys want to try foams, it is a completely different experience. Suddenly, you'll have a nimble racing machine instead of a dumptruck! These cars really come alive with foams. You can use 1/10 scale front donuts on superten rims. Just grind down the ridges of the rim on your tire truer and they'll fit over nicely. I'd glue up a set of 35 shore and 40 shore and you'll be ready for any situation.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by spooky
Pop's I ran the Murcialago body last week, As I expected it had a push. The track I run on... I can deal with it... I really like the Gt1 and the LMR... they just plain work... I want to try an Escudo on the car, I am betting it will rock. It was the body of choice for the HPI World Finals on the 1/10 cars.

Anyone have advice on how to keep the firm inserts in a hoop and not seperating. Just had couple guys in the area buy a super.. we are having a blast.

Hey are Ride tires better then the HPI's ?
Ride Tires seems to work better in cold to slightly warm weather. They stick Like glue in the first few laps in hot weather, but they seem to get greasy when they heat up too much. They like to stay cold. They have great inserts though. They are like hpi pro miolded inserts for super size tires.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super Size discussion

Originally posted by psycho

You can use 1/10 scale front donuts on superten rims. Just grind down the ridges of the rim on your tire truer and they'll fit over nicely. I'd glue up a set of 35 shore and 40 shore and you'll be ready for any situation.
The $10,000 Question: Where did you find Foam Donuts? I have a set of rims ready and waiting but can't find anyone with the donuts. I was thinking 1/8th Fronts would work good.

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was also thinking to put 1/8 front tires but they are kinda wide. The rims of the SN are around 35mm and the 1/8 foams are 40mm. Will this be a problem?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Foams on the Super nitro

Speed De;

Just cut the excess off on a Tire Truer. Sooner or later, if your going to run foams you need access to a truer.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psycho

Here's my input on bodies from my experiences racing my FW04 last year. Since the car has 280mm track width, I tried a few different "narrow" bodies.

HPI BWM LPM V12 - Good downforce, adjustable rear wing. Tends to push as all "wedge" bodies do. Overall, my first choice.
If you run the body without the Rear spolier extension, the handling is more balanced. (Popsracer)

Kyosho Mercedes CLK-DTM - Good overall balance of steering and downforce. The last thing a super size car needs is more body roll and the high cg of this body adds roll. You think this is bad, you should see the HPI Alpha Romeo body. Waddles like a turtle through the corners. Very heavy too. (Popsracer)

HPI Nissan Skyline GTR - Feels as good as the CLK body, but has less roll. A good choice. I have no experience with this particular body (Popsracer)

HPI Toyota TS020 GTP - (300mm) This body handles very well, but tends to get crunched up and touch the front wheels with a front impact. If the frontend popped out, I would race this body. Handles about as well as the LMR, but the Front Crunching problem is there to effect the handling (Popsracer)

HPI F150 truck - (300mm) This body actually handles pretty decent with a spoiler extention in the Rear. Not quite as nimble as the 280mm length. (Popsracer)

Last edited by popsracer; 03-13-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Super Size discussion

Originally posted by popsracer
The $10,000 Question: Where did you find Foam Donuts? I have a set of rims ready and waiting but can't find anyone with the donuts. I was thinking 1/8th Fronts would work good.

Thanks,
Pops

Look Here
Old 03-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Super Size discussion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sydewynder

Perfect Sydewynder just what I was looking for Foam tires.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Dave, thanks for the comment on the bodies, look like we made the right choice going with the Skyline. hope all is well with you guys. Les has opened a carpet track, and we are working a new Gas track too. Whats you take on the rubber tires ?

Sushi, thanks for the comment on the Ride Tires. Looks like I am gonna stay with the HPI's for now, as it is rarely below 60 degrees when I race.

Pops, I have been running the firm inserts, they seem to be ok, but I want to try the med-firm.

Glad to see this tread is getting some traffic.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Super Size discussion

Spooky;

I wish we still had a parking lot track where the traction was good enough to use my tires with the firm inserts. Everything we race on now is resealed asphalt and the current Super size tires just do not work good on that surface. I even tried adding more rear toe-in, but the improvement was minimal.

Sydewynder;

Thanks, I tried ordering some Motor Brushes form them the other day and the links were all broken. Seems like the Tire links are working ok though. I'm going to look around some more as I don't like working with Foams labeled with the colors. I much prefer to use tires with Shore numbers for the compound. Just my preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.