Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Size discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On anther Topic, which bodies fit the super other then the HPI ones.. and which work the best other then the GT1 and LMR.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Pop's... what diff's ,what oil if they are the gear diffs ?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default what diff's ?????

spooky;

Stock HPI Gear Diffs. I edited the set-up post with the details.

I've tried the Robinson Ball Diffs before and don't like the way the Car handles with one or both.
I've have also tried OFNA Diff Lock in the Front Diff and the Car pushes way too much. Too heavy of a Grease in the Rear and it becomes too loose. Thus my reasons for my current choice of Greases in the Diffs.

Certain Tamiya and Kyosho bodies will fit but they cost $10-$20 more than the HPI bodies. The Sedan Bodies handle terrible compared to the GTR type bodies.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I really do like the LMR body, but for sake of discussion... The locals are gonna run a non GTP type shell. I have tried the Skyline... and the Murcialgo. was wondering if the Kyosho ( think ) NSX was good ?
Old 03-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super Size discussion

Guys;

I ran the Super in practice on Saturday but did not race it, due to I was not happy with the handling. The new engine is awsome and I just need to work on the set-up a bit more.
Note: The Race Track was EXTREMELY loose for everyone with Nitro Cars.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Cool a super nitro post. Here are a couple of pics of my car. I haven't had a chance to race it yet but hope to this weekend if the weather holds up.
Attached Thumbnails Super Size discussion-super_outside500.jpg  
Old 03-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Here is another
Attached Thumbnails Super Size discussion-super_outside500_1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Number 11;

I like your paint scheme. Nice simple and good looking too. I suck at creating good looking paint jobs that involve more than one color. I can't even draw a stickman that doesn't look drunk or crippled.

spooky;

The problem with any type of Sedan/Sports car body is they handle like Crap when compared to the GTP/Lola type bodies. There is also alot of heavy lexan in that roof on a sedan body and it is really noticeable when driving (to me). Never seen an NSX on a Super, but they have always seemed Tail Happy when used on 1/10 scale Nitro cars. Good looking body though.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default Handling....

Originally posted by popsracer
The problem with any type of Sedan/Sports car body is they handle like Crap when compared to the GTP/Lola type bodies.
Well actually the handling characteristics of a GTP/Lola type body really only come into play on large tracks like Crystal Park and Revelation. If you put up sedan bodies vs lola at say a parking lot race where your suspension setup is going to do more for your car than the body ever will, then I would say there is no longer an advantage. Down force at the smaller track level doesnt really come into play unless you can get to a high enough of a straightaway to take advantage of it.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Bounty Hunter;

Ask 10 different people and they'll each have a slightly different opinion on this subject. I've found from my personal experience, that because of the larger surface area of a Super Size body, they seem to have a greater effect on the handling when compared to a 1/10th scale.
I have recently tried a Lola type body on my Reflex at our local parking lot races and I didn't see any advantage with the handling. Different, but I thought the Sedan was more balanced from high to low speed than the Lola was. On a Track like Revelation, no question about it, the Lola's provide more downforce all around.

See you at Rev.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

I always feel a difference with any body, and while I don't race supers, I'll just say that for the most part, the difference is nil (mostly a mental advantage) until you get funky aerodynamic accesories.

I've seen Corvette's with the "street" spoiler and "race" wing on at the same time. Also pieces of lexan to extend the length of the GT1 rear wing (kind of like serpent 1/10 bodies). Aerodynamically, these things will give a little bit of a difference.

But there are certain bodies that "just don't work". Some of the wacky sports cars like the TVR Speed six (1/10), do put you at a disadvantage. In my opinion, a corvette doesn't work too well either.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

okay, short story time...

My dad was watching me race one time and then the super's were running their Amain, and my dad asked, "These look different/ Are they bigger, or are those bodies just different (most were running GT1 bodies)?"

"yeah, there 'supers'... they're bigger than my car..."

"Well, they are obviously fast (many big block 15's), but they're no fun... they don't crash enough..."

*(then after he said that, one traction rolled over the side rail)*
Old 03-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Pop's I ran the Murcialago body last week, As I expected it had a push. The track I run on... I can deal with it... I really like the Gt1 and the LMR... they just plain work... I want to try an Escudo on the car, I am betting it will rock. It was the body of choice for the HPI World Finals on the 1/10 cars.

Anyone have advice on how to keep the firm inserts in a hoop and not seperating. Just had couple guys in the area buy a super.. we are having a blast.

Hey are Ride tires better then the HPI's ?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Spooky;

I think the Escudo would probably work good. A loss of top speed because of the drag, but on a parkinglot track, traction is more important.

The HPI FIRM inserts come with that Tape to hold them together and it doesn't work by itself. Use some 3M weatherstrip adhesive (follow directions) at the joint, then apply the tape to help hold things together. Let dry for several hours before installing in the tires.

I have NOT tried the Ride tires. I HAVE heard that they can come apart suddenly in warmer weather.

Im2lazy;

I used to race at several tracks that were set-up on old rough asphalt and the traction was perfect. I thought I'd try the Mitsubushi Rally body, and Whoa!!, the car was almost undrivable. Loose, loose, loose in the Rear. I installed a Wing from an 1/8th buggy in the back and now it has a REAL bad push. (looks cool though) Back to the LMR and nothing else since.

Guys;

I wanted to add that, the higher roof line of a Sedan body is VERY noticable to me on my Super. Much more sway with a Sedan on a Super over the LMR/Toyota bodies. The car seems to waddle through the corners instead of having that crisp transition handling that the others do.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-12-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Number 11;

[QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
[B]I like your paint scheme. Nice simple and good looking too. I suck at creating good looking paint jobs that involve more than one color. I can't even draw a stickman that doesn't look drunk or crippled.

Thank You I just got an air brush and this was my first paint job using it. My 2nd and 3rd paint jobs for other cars didn't turn out so well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.