R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #7006
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
What's up? I recently noticed when I have my front wheels turned to the left there's something rubbing. There's no engine installed, car is in roller form. When I turn right it doesn't do it, I took off the side belt, turn left and when the tire gets about 1/2 of the full way around I feel a rub slowing it down and can't figure out where its from.
I changed every pulley, belt, front and rear arms, front and rear knuckles, every bearing to brand new ones (not just cleaned and put back in) and still can't figure it out.
It doesn't do it when I have the radio is on and turned left since my EPA will never need to go full lock, but it just bothers me and like my stuff 100%.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, anything I forgot to check? Regionals are tomorrow (9/28) and want it 100%.
Thanks in advance
Check the pivot balls in the steering knuckles to make sure none are bent. Also, make sure you haven't overtightened the adjusting nut that sits in the knuckles, should be enough play where the pivot ball moves freely (should be a slight horizontal play). That would cause a binding effect to steering one direction.
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #7007
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_T View Post
I reckon one of two things:

1. Your axle could be binding. Check it has enough sideway clearance, an it doesn't bind around the joint or

2. The actual rim could be rubbing or binding (I got this with certain tire brands),
It's not the tires(rim) been using the SRC's and this just started recently. I do run the front universals without the set screw but even when I put the screw in to check if that was it, still did it. I don't think it's going to cause any handling issues, I just don't like it LOL
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #7008
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
Check the pivot balls in the steering knuckles to make sure none are bent. Also, make sure you haven't overtightened the adjusting nut that sits in the knuckles, should be enough play where the pivot ball moves freely (should be a slight horizontal play). That would cause a binding effect to steering one direction.
The pivot balls and adj nuts are the first thing I checked and then replaced and still happened. Odds are it's been this way from day 1 and never noticed. Again, it isn't bad enough to cause handling issues and doesn't happen with my radio on since the wheels don't turn that far. It's just gonna cause my mind to play tricks on me all weekend, especially if I'm struggling LOL
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #7009
Tech Regular

Quote:
The pivot balls and adj nuts are the first thing I checked and then replaced and still happened. Odds are it's been this way from day 1 and never noticed. Again, it isn't bad enough to cause handling issues and doesn't happen with my radio on since the wheels don't turn that far. It's just gonna cause my mind to play tricks on me all weekend, especially if I'm struggling LOL
Joe , it is known, and what i have done to minimize it

- losen it up a little with some more play (quick solution)
- cut a ball end with a cutting edge and put it in their with a powerdrill and have some turns to get it round inside. Easy on the powerdrillrev`s though.
(better solution)
- heat the ballend and fit it to both sides. (helped but gave other problems because one can heat to much and melt the nut)

EDIT, now i see you mean the drive train.

Hope this helps you, have fun.

Last edited by djiewie; 10-02-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: edit misunderstood the question
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #7010
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

NT1 2012 for sale.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #7011
Tech Master

I like asking questions here so I can get more than 1 answer, and thanks to those for answering.
This December I'll be at Kissimmee ( can't wait ) but I'm pretty sure the track is bigger than the ones I'm running on.
Right I'm running 60/55 spurs and 17/23 sometimes 59/54 and 17/22.
Any of those good for Kissimmee? Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #7012
Tech Master

I like asking questions here so I can get more than 1 answer, and thanks to those for answering.
This December I'll be at Kissimmee ( can't wait ) but I'm pretty sure the track is bigger than the ones I'm running on.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #7013
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

these are the gears that i run at kissimee track. 60,55 standard gearing everywhere. 59,54 if i am running low cut tires.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #7014
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah 17/23 is what you want for pinions and i run 59/54 for spurs. It will be slightly different from motor to motor but this or 60/55 will be a good ball park
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #7015
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagic302 View Post
these are the gears that i run at kissimee track. 60,55 standard gearing everywhere. 59,54 if i am running low cut tires.
What do you consider low cut?
58/60 what I usually run for qualifiers
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #7016
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
What do you consider low cut?
58/60 what I usually run for qualifiers
It depends on how smooth the track is...i race at nor cal...very smooth track wit high bite...i have went 56/58 for a five min qual...wit very minimal tire wear..
bigbank66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #7017
Tech Master

That's such a waste of tire lol.
I never took a fresh set and cut them that low.
I'll go as low as 58/60 for qualifiers but won't chuck them so I can use them for practice.
So anything lower than 58/60 I should use 59/54 for spurs?
Or blow my motor first time on the straight
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #7018
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That's such a waste of tire lol.
I never took a fresh set and cut them that low.
I'll go as low as 58/60 for qualifiers but won't chuck them so I can use them for practice.
So anything lower than 58/60 I should use 59/54 for spurs?
Or blow my motor first time on the straight
Joe,

This is my home track and George did a great job re-doing it. The track is smooth. Now saying that, i don't recommend tires quite as low as bigbank mentioned (56/58), BUT it can work, depending on ride height. I cut qualifier tires for a FORGASS race here at 58/60, with a ride height of 5.5mm/6.5mm. Keep in mind though, that's a 3 min warmup with a 7 min qualifier, George's big December race is a 5 min qualifier. I am going to keep the 58/60 split to start but may get down to 57/59. Tire size is obviously going to affect the handling of the car as well. If you car feels great on 58/60 and is fast, leave it there (you will be better prepared for mains).

As for the spur question, you won't blow your motor on slightly smaller tires than 58/60 running 17/23-60/55, unless u are super lean. That being said, you should be running 59/54 anyways at Full-Throttle/K~Raceway. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #7019
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
Joe,

This is my home track and George did a great job re-doing it. The track is smooth. Now saying that, i don't recommend tires quite as low as bigbank mentioned (56/58), BUT it can work, depending on ride height. I cut qualifier tires for a FORGASS race here at 58/60, with a ride height of 5.5mm/6.5mm. Keep in mind though, that's a 3 min warmup with a 7 min qualifier, George's big December race is a 5 min qualifier. I am going to keep the 58/60 split to start but may get down to 57/59. Tire size is obviously going to affect the handling of the car as well. If you car feels great on 58/60 and is fast, leave it there (you will be better prepared for mains).

As for the spur question, you won't blow your motor on slightly smaller tires than 58/60 running 17/23-60/55, unless u are super lean. That being said, you should be running 59/54 anyways at Full-Throttle/K~Raceway. Hope this helps.
Perfect it helps a lot thanks,
Just wanted as little testing as possible when I get there so I can get used to the layout.
Does traction get real high?
That's going to be how I judge tire size.
Check PM
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #7020
Tech Regular

Good luck Joe!
Novarossi racing Engines ~Ko Propo, ~Avid Bearings..
VBC Racing Wildfire D07 ~LRP Electronics ~ Fantom Racing
NITTO550 is offline   Reply With Quote