Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Drew,

Congrats on your win, you guys deserved it.
I want to ask about the setup that Ralph used. I was also looking to Ralphs&other team driver setups to compare and I found the WC setup of Ralph to have lots of understeer/rear grip. 100k front and 40k rear diff, 5 degree rear camber, rear width narrower than front, 4.8mm rear downstop, these changes would make the car suffer steering on a track that has a WC running on, am I wrong or missing something? Did the track really have that much bad grip? Or does it have something to do with the specific corners where you need rear traction when accelerating early&hard?

And also I would like to know the idea behind the dampening, front 600 oil with 3 holes and rear 500 oil with 2 holes. Did you gain steering with this setup or again more rear end grip?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also Drew what is the effect of having 200 F and 199 R track width
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jelayne
what is the effect of having 200 F and 199 R track width
That will give the car more rear rotation.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by musti72
Hi Drew,

Congrats on your win, you guys deserved it.
I want to ask about the setup that Ralph used. I was also looking to Ralphs&other team driver setups to compare and I found the WC setup of Ralph to have lots of understeer/rear grip. 100k front and 40k rear diff, 5 degree rear camber, rear width narrower than front, 4.8mm rear downstop, these changes would make the car suffer steering on a track that has a WC running on, am I wrong or missing something? Did the track really have that much bad grip? Or does it have something to do with the specific corners where you need rear traction when accelerating early&hard?

And also I would like to know the idea behind the dampening, front 600 oil with 3 holes and rear 500 oil with 2 holes. Did you gain steering with this setup or again more rear end grip?

Thanks
Thanks.

The track was a lot different from what we went and tested on. The rain played a factor and Ifmar would not let the track be sprayed over an over again. Streering was not hard to get in the car it was the rear bite meaning forward traction and side bite. You are right about the part of having the accelerating of the corner we needed the car to be able to do that. And that was are goal the whole week. I think the bite was good but not what it was for the pre-worlds and the Xray race. At the pre-worlds Ralph's car was really good and he ran 36 laps in 10:12 with fast lap of 16.2 at the Xray race we kept the car the same and Ralph ran 36 laps in 10:14 with a fast lap of 16.6. The TQ at the worlds was 1 full lap off what we had ran a month early. The heat was the same but we had no rain to deal with at the Xray race. The biggest thing was finding a balance of the car meaning having streering and forward traction. We also had BIG motor thanks to Max Power so that made it even harder to get the forward bite. Ralph is not the guy to detune the engine to make grip. Its making grip to put down the horsepower. I will post the setup from the Xray race. You can look at both the Xray race and the worlds setup and see the difference. Every change we made Ralph said the car got better and better.

On Ralph's car we seem to always run 3 hole pistons with 600 all the way around. When we came to the pre-worlds we made a change in the rear which was 2 hole 500 to help with the car over the bump in front of the drivers stand. Also to help with the car going though the 2 fast chicanes on the track its seemed to make the car more stable in those places on the track..Guess it was just what we thought and it worked..LOL.. Ralph is really good at feeling what the car is doing and he is really good at telling me what the car feels like so its makes it easier to make changes.

Thanks Drew

Thanks Drew
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jelayne
Also Drew what is the effect of having 200 F and 199 R track width
The wider the better. It will make the car easier to drive because of it being more stable. With the rear end more narrowed then the front that helps with forward traction.

Thanks Drew
Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

so u ran 3 hole pistons up front or 1 hole?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
so u ran 3 hole pistons up front or 1 hole?
3 hole up front. The check on the setup sheet means closed. We ran the 3 hole fixed pistons. Stock size hole.

Thanks Drew
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

will "blazin fast Drew and sSMMMMMMokin fast ralhpie burch" be at the GLC? thanks for answering the questions on here means a lot to us racers who have questions.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
will "blazin fast Drew and sSMMMMMMokin fast ralhpie burch" be at the GLC? thanks for answering the questions on here means a lot to us racers who have questions.

No problem, Yes we will be there this year. It should be a great race like always.

Thanks Drew
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what diameter wheels and ride height is everyone using?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

edited nvm

Last edited by Ultraspeed84; 08-05-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default big thanks

Drew, thanks for answering all the questions, that's just awesome! So many thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

also instead of 4 gears, has any guys tried to run 2 gears to save even more weight?

i wonder how 2 carbon capricorn gears will hold up.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
Thanks.

The track was a lot different from what we went and tested on. The rain played a factor and Ifmar would not let the track be sprayed over an over again. Streering was not hard to get in the car it was the rear bite meaning forward traction and side bite. You are right about the part of having the accelerating of the corner we needed the car to be able to do that. And that was are goal the whole week. I think the bite was good but not what it was for the pre-worlds and the Xray race. At the pre-worlds Ralph's car was really good and he ran 36 laps in 10:12 with fast lap of 16.2 at the Xray race we kept the car the same and Ralph ran 36 laps in 10:14 with a fast lap of 16.6. The TQ at the worlds was 1 full lap off what we had ran a month early. The heat was the same but we had no rain to deal with at the Xray race. The biggest thing was finding a balance of the car meaning having streering and forward traction. We also had BIG motor thanks to Max Power so that made it even harder to get the forward bite. Ralph is not the guy to detune the engine to make grip. Its making grip to put down the horsepower. I will post the setup from the Xray race. You can look at both the Xray race and the worlds setup and see the difference. Every change we made Ralph said the car got better and better.

On Ralph's car we seem to always run 3 hole pistons with 600 all the way around. When we came to the pre-worlds we made a change in the rear which was 2 hole 500 to help with the car over the bump in front of the drivers stand. Also to help with the car going though the 2 fast chicanes on the track its seemed to make the car more stable in those places on the track..Guess it was just what we thought and it worked..LOL.. Ralph is really good at feeling what the car is doing and he is really good at telling me what the car feels like so its makes it easier to make changes.

Thanks Drew

Thanks Drew
Thanks Drew, I really appreciate.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I just wanted everyone to be extra careful with the Capricorn Composite. I already broke one during a qualifier, so I'll just stick with steel ones. The oil in the case was new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.