Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Osiris 75
The photo is just an advertisement of the tool.
Sorry, just trying to help.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Hey Dennison,

I left you a message on your cell phone. Not sure if you have the same number or not, but is was about 1 week ago. It is the number you gave me when you got here to Florida. Call me today after work on my cell 305-586-6072, anytime after 4pm. Also the clutch will not work properly with those pins sticking out like that. They can not pass the shoes.

DJ Apolaro
Hi DJ,

Sorry, I never got it. That may have been my temporary phone. Will call you after work.

That photo is not a good advertisement shot for such a good tool.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys which do you all prefer the standard belts or the new Kevlar belts and why??
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dennison J
Kamikaze Toys also has that exact Cen Tech brand. A must have tool for the serious racer.

http://kamikazetoysandhobbies.com/pr...php?prod=TTCT1
that tool that kamikaze is selling is not the same tool that brooklyn hobbies is selling, the one that kamikaze is selling is a tamale tool made to measure gap and endplay the brooklyn tool is used to measure how much tension is on the spring look closely and you'll see the tools are different.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by meronr
that tool that kamikaze is selling is not the same tool that brooklyn hobbies is selling, the one that kamikaze is selling is a tamale tool made to measure gap and endplay the brooklyn tool is used to measure how much tension is on the spring look closely and you'll see the tools are different.
spring preload is easy to measure with regular stepped calipers... the TT tool is the handy one
Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default smashed clutch thrust bearing..

Hi Guys
I took my clutch nut off yesterday and the thrust bearing just fell apart in my hands. it was set to the factory setting and the car had done 2 litres of fuel including practice, qualifiers and 2 finals.

Is there a upgraded thrust bearing? ive put in a kyosho thrust bearing in the meantime to keep me going.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Hi Guys
I took my clutch nut off yesterday and the thrust bearing just fell apart in my hands. it was set to the factory setting and the car had done 2 litres of fuel including practice, qualifiers and 2 finals.

Is there a upgraded thrust bearing? ive put in a kyosho thrust bearing in the meantime to keep me going.
were the balls discolored? Thrust bearing lube every 30 min or so with a moly grease is important(Mugen Seiki super grease B308 i BELIEVE is the part number, one tube has lasted me about 4 years) .. I ran my first thrust bearing for 4 hours (3 hours of which was nonstop during an enduro), relubed, bagged it and keeping it as a spare.

Did you recheck the freeplay after you ran the car for a couple tanks? the assembly seems to take a set after a run or two.

Cheers,

Patrick
Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Yes i took it apart saturday afternoon and re lubed it with grease.
Sunday i ran 2 finals, 1 15 minute and 1 20 minute final.

i noticed the car was losing power and engine was running hot.
when i got home that day i noticed it was the bearing that was causing these issues.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

well make sure the thrust bearing was installed properly (small ID hole farthest from the clutch.. ) and there was enough freeplay.. other than that and have to large of a clutch gap those are the 4 ways that I know of to kill one : Lack of lube, installing backwards, not enough or to much freeplay and to much clutch gap(on the latter you usually start throwing flyweights first)..
Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for your reply.
The gap was 0.6, nut was 1.1 and endplay was .0.1

ive installed the kyosho bearing now so ill see how that goes till i can get a new nt1 thrust beraing.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

thats right around my low bite track clutch setup.. make sure the 5x8 and the 5x10 bearings are good.. and run it..(might have to toss the 5x8, I eat those like candy)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Thanks for your reply.
The gap was 0.6, nut was 1.1 and endplay was .0.1

ive installed the kyosho bearing now so ill see how that goes till i can get a new nt1 thrust beraing.
John, the xray thrust bearing isn't that good. the system they use to secure the balls (encased ina bronze ring) expands and begins to touch the sides of the clutch bell, and the holes the balls sit in become elongated. this causes clutch run on issues. i know cuz i've experienced it myself.

use the mugen or the kyosho thrust bearings they are better because the design the use to secure the balls in place makes the entire thrust stronger due tot he one peice curved alloy bit. also they require less stringent lubing before they show signs of wear.

look closly to the sidewalls of the xray thrust and you will see wear marks where the balls have pushed out against the side of the clutch bell.

regarding the clutch tool picture it's just a shot i got from the brooklyn hobbies site.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Thomas did you use the kyosho bearing with the xray thrust bearing retainer washer things.. or the complete kyosho bearing?
i found the smaller kyosho retainer does not fit on the xray part so i used 2 big kyosho retainers
Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TomB

look closly to the sidewalls of the xray thrust and you will see wear marks where the balls have pushed out against the side of the clutch bell.
Just interesting because I have several gallons through one of my engines on one thrust bearing.. well only time will tell right?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have run 6 FULL race meets wiht my xray, and have not been through one single part. I lube my thrusty every run, and it is still looking good. and also the clutch bearings.

The only problem I have come across on my car is - the right hand side engine mount (upper plate) has a nasty wharp in it, which put my mesh out, but I noticed this when changing the engine.. So thats the only thing i have the grab..but everyones convienently out of stock What would cause this too happen though?

Ryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.