Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree150Likes

Xray XB8

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Front End about caster adjustments.

Special Thanks to Toyoter91, clarkie_ni and Frank_L.
I went to the track and do some setup changes with noticeable improvement on the clock. I will post my setup when is ready.

Now i will give one more try on finalizing the setup for the track and then practice for the race. The only thing i didn't fully understand is the front end geometry in relation to the caster adjustments. We have the lower roll center and also we can add caster from lower arms, we have the upper roll center and again we can add caster, and the king pin plates. also we have the 2X1mm and 1X2mm spacers on the upper arms adjustment. Too many areas to setup and i don't know where to focus for what reason...

When do we change caster from below and when from upper arms? Why to do this and why not doing that ? What are the side-effects of each change? When to adjust from upper arms spacers and when to adjust from eccentric bushings lower or higher? Please give some examples.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djbxp
I went to the track and do some setup changes with noticeable improvement on the clock. I will post my setup when is ready.

Now i will give one more try on finalizing the setup for the track and then practice for the race. The only thing i didn't fully understand is the front end geometry in relation to the caster adjustments. We have the lower roll center and also we can add caster from lower arms, we have the upper roll center and again we can add caster, and the king pin plates. also we have the 2X1mm and 1X2mm spacers on the upper arms adjustment. Too many areas to setup and i don't know where to focus for what reason...

When do we change caster from below and when from upper arms? Why to do this and why not doing that ? What are the side-effects of each change? When to adjust from upper arms spacers and when to adjust from eccentric bushings lower or higher? Please give some examples.
I try and isolate the lower arm to kick up needs and change it based off that more than using it to adjust overall caster, even though it will alter caster if you don't adjust the upper arm position along with the lower arm angle change. You can also introduce active caster (caster change through travel of the suspension) if you don't change the upper arm angle along with any lower arm angle changes.

If I only want to make a caster angle change I use the upper arm position to do that. (moving the upper arm forward or back)

King pin angle is something different from caster. It will change the way the steering feels. Not an adjustment many cars have so its not something I have played with very much as I dont actually have a XB8

Old 07-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The king pin plates do not alter caster on the XB8. They only affect the upper arm length. It can be misleading because the differentiation between the plates is in degrees. If you lay a 6, 10 or 14 on top of each other, you will see the difference in the mounting hole for the upper arm which only makes it shorter or longer.

Last edited by 3DRCRACER; 07-14-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default ROLL CENTER !!

In different web sites terms in roll center are written opposite!! Even in some setup guides and famous web sites of pro-drivers! Let's clear this guys !!

In the Hudy off road setup guide for roll center is stated:

The amount that a chassis rolls in a corner depends on the position of the roll axis relative to the car’s center-of-gravity (CG). The closer the roll axis is to the center of gravity, the less the chassis will roll in a corner.

Please open attachment and notice roll center transfer from green to orange.
We come to the conclusion we all know, moving the links on the tower up, roll center is getting lower!! No doubt about that! Also no doubt that higher links on the tower we gonna have less roll!! SO ??

The drawing and practice show that: The further roll axis is from center of gravity, the less the chassis will roll in a corner!! (green lines). Opposite from what is stated in the hudy manual. Maybe i'm doing something wrong??

In order to accept the above statement we have to assume that center of gravity is below the car... this is the only way to go closer to the center of gravity and the less the chassis will roll in a corner. Where is the center of gravity? must be on the car ... What's going on?
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB8-xb8-roll-center.jpg  

Last edited by djbxp; 07-14-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The higher the link is on the tower, the lower the roll center and the more the car rolls. What you said here is wrong.

We come to the conclusion we all know, moving the links on the tower up, roll center is getting lower!! No doubt about that! Also no doubt that higher links on the tower we gonna have less roll!! SO ??
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

i feel like is rolling LESS when have the links high on tower. no one agrees with me ?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i feel like is rolling LESS when have the links high on tower. no one agrees with me ?
Watch this video, it makes it pretty clear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdRQaz_Xq8
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I threw this together really quickly to explain how I see roll center.

I'm not an engineer... but this is how I visualize it in my head.

Roll center is in relation to the Axis of the pivot and the Center of Gravity. The CG of a car will usually exist somewhere between the pivot of the A-arm and the pivot of the upper camber link / a-arm. In fact, I believe that in most cases, the camber link / a-arm pivots are a lot closer to the CG, so the effects of changes are smaller.

Green represents low roll center and red represents high roll center, where the horizontal lines represent the pivot horizontal axis (i.e. hinge pin / shock mount positions) and the angle demonstrates the amount of roll associated at with pivot point.

Where the angle is greater, there is more roll. Thus, lowering the A-arm pivot or raising the camber link pivot would increase the angle and increase the roll.

This assumes one pivot point. In the case of an A-arm or camber link, there are obviously two pivot points which make it more complicated..
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB8-rollcenter.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just want to add... even pro drivers have a problem with roll center. Jared Tebo posted a video a couple years ago showing how he finally figured out roll center... mostly because he had to start doing setup for himself.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

my car also felt like this, the exact oppersite to how it should and how it felt
on the xb9/808 sorry no explanation as to why?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are other factors in play. When you change the camber link you also change the camber gain. Moving the link up may change the camber change in such a way that the rear has more traction.. more traction = more roll.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:24 AM
Tech Addict

Even better explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44AlYI6lSX4
Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

https://youtu.be/yU2c03KkF6k

This is the best explanation on YouTube. You will understand it after watching this one guaranteed.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

at the euros some of the team drivers were using 5mm of bumpsteer
shims at the hub, can anyone please explain the reason for this?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OleC
+1 on that vid explains the theory spot on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.