Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree150Likes

Xray XB8

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I run emulsion with 0 rebound in all of my offroad shocks.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuruption
I run emulsion with 0 rebound in all of my offroad shocks.
I have the emulsion caps, I have yet to try them. What did you notice when you went over to emulsion?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by toyoter91
I have the emulsion caps, I have yet to try them. What did you notice when you went over to emulsion?
Emulsion makes the car jump and land better... sort of makes the shock progressive as the piston compresses. So you get the best of both words... feels lighter when going over bumps and ruts, but can also handle the landers on the big jumps.

I tend to run thicker shock oil too... like on my XB8 with the stock pistons, I run between 800 and 1000cSt depending on temperature in the front, and 700-900 in the rear.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers guys. I'll start with 0 rebound. Might experiment with emulsion later on.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eortizr
is a new XB8 coming out soon?
No one knows .. or maybe someone knows and don't tell. :P
Old 12-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TV
It's mainly preference. The 14's will have more steering exiting the corner and be better in the bumps, while the 10's will have more steering entering the corner. I prefer the 10's myself.
The 10's give more steering entering corner because of sooner camber rise setting. (the connection point to the front hub is outter / this is opposite comparing to the oldschool setups with the Chub when camber rise was more with the link innner). To my understanding the XB8 design keeps same camber rise between 10'' kingpins and 14'' kingpins and adjusting the camber rise curve! If you look carefully those kingpin plates have the same caster angle and the difference is the upper arm attachment point!

I disagree with the statement about bump handling since there are NOT changing any of the caster angle. I have read somewhere that Savoya have explained kingpins something like caster... again i disagree. more caster will give smoother steering in general and bigger turn radius, while less caster will give less turn radius and more steering in GENERAL! (plus the bump handling) caster in Not affecting entering or exiting behavior, but kingpin plates affect! Car is the same in bumps. I did a lot of tests.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can I buy the rubber fuel lid pull? The thing you use to open the lid while the body is on? I can't find it anywhere. I tried the Losi version but it didn't fit.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, just deciding between the XB8 and TLR 4.0. Clearly XRAY is quality (i own an XB416) but one thing that concerns me is the apparent lack of part availability.

Whats everyone's experience with this car in respect to durability / weak points, things to watch out for etc

I've only ever owned 1/10 buggies so have no real experience with any brand at this level

Thanks for your help and advice
Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nat Maniac
Hi,

Just looking for some advice, just deciding between the XB8 and TLR 4.0. Clearly XRAY is quality (i own an XB416) but one thing that concerns me is the apparent lack of part availability.

Whats everyone's experience with this car in respect to durability / weak points, things to watch out for etc

I've only ever owned 1/10 buggies so have no real experience with any brand at this level

Im newish to this platform moving from the 8ight 3.0. About 1.5 months. car is good. tons of steering and very stable. I have not broken anything on it as of yet. On my xb8e I've only broken an outer steering rod end and the specialty camber link ball end screw thing for the rear hub. on the xb8 im just perfecting the setup trying to get just a little faster with it. wish the parts were a little cheaper though.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b121774
Im newish to this platform moving from the 8ight 3.0. About 1.5 months. car is good. tons of steering and very stable. I have not broken anything on it as of yet. On my xb8e I've only broken an outer steering rod end and the specialty camber link ball end screw thing for the rear hub. on the xb8 im just perfecting the setup trying to get just a little faster with it. wish the parts were a little cheaper though.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes cost is certainly an important element to consider especially as you can get 2 front TLR arms for less than 1 xray arm! I do agree with the statement you get what you pay for but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi,

It's the most durable car you can find right now. Maybe keep some rod ends on hand. I broke one steering rod end in 2 years with this buggy, that's it.
It's also good to keep replacement pins for the drive shafts. Replace those when they start to wear and save your outdrives. Other than that, all you need is whatever tuning options you want on hand.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Hi,

Originally Posted by pickle311
It's the most durable car you can find right now. Maybe keep some rod ends on hand. I broke one steering rod end in 2 years with this buggy, that's it.
It's also good to keep replacement pins for the drive shafts. Replace those when they start to wear and save your outdrives. Other than that, all you need is whatever tuning options you want on hand.
I sometimes feel foolish carrying around a ziplock bag full of unopened spare parts waiting for my XB8 and XB8e to break. The bag rarely gets opened, and sometimes I wonder why I even bring it to the track with me.

The only thing I've broken really is rod ends, and yes, replacing the pins is always a good thing as part of normal maintenance (they don't break, just wear down).
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Meanwhile, I'll just add, that I know of a Losi [sponsored] driver that was toting around about 20 packages of replacement hinge pins because he felt that at any point during the race day he may need to replace a pin or two.... maybe multiple times.... even if he never had a hard crash.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Total list of things I have needed over a year... 2 shock shafts 1 front 1 rear, 1 bent rear driveshaft, 1 broken wing mount, v1 steering rod end (v2 fixed)

If you are someone who is starting to get decent consistency or better, you will about never break a thing. It is a benchmark tough car. i replaced the plastics on my xb8 to freshen it up for some big races coming up, and have kept the old plastics as spares.
the arms will 'bow' after half a season or a particularly bad crash, but i've never broken one. Like others say, replace the pins in the shafts and even your outdrives will last long time. mine are on their second year.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuruption
I sometimes feel foolish carrying around a ziplock bag full of unopened spare parts waiting for my XB8 and XB8e to break. The bag rarely gets opened, and sometimes I wonder why I even bring it to the track with me.

The only thing I've broken really is rod ends, and yes, replacing the pins is always a good thing as part of normal maintenance (they don't break, just wear down).
This is hilarious to me because it really hits home ....

When I bought a used 808e I spent a extra $100 on a spare parts lot . Today the car is long gone , and the new owner still hasn't used any of the parts. I used 1 rod end and a rear center shaft the whole time I had the car.

I also bought a xb9e , and a parts lot ..... Same story . Used 1 rod end whole time I had the car .

I have a xt9 now , and I refuse to buy parts for it until I need them. Hell , I ran a practice day and most of a race day with a broken arm before it finally let go . The brand is tough , no doubt .... Its hard to do , but don't get preoccupied with parts prices , you have to look at the total cost to race a season. That's where you see what brands are good and bad .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.