Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MBX7

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

roll center/chassis dynamics . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xR5...&feature=share

thanks VWDUUD ,these animated suspension vids also show the effect of set up changes.

if you click any of the vids by 'Must Bob' other similar vids pop up in selections .

Last edited by noddy2; 06-14-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Got my mbx7 today and noticed I had the clear tank . Hobby shop didnt have the replacement tank in stock . What other tank fits in the 7?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noddy2
roll center/chassis dynamics . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xR5...&feature=share

thanks VWDUUD ,these animated suspension vids also show the effect of set up changes.

if you click any of the vids by 'Must Bob' other similar vids pop up in selections .
That's some interesting vids.
I also liked this one that shows how the upper link position affects roll resistance.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
If you like the videos, you'll love this:
Www.vsusp.com

You can just play around, or measure you links & input them to the sim to see what actually happens on your vehicle.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Rookie

New Simple Paint Job.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX7-imag0071.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eastside777
Got my mbx7 today and noticed I had the clear tank . Hobby shop didnt have the replacement tank in stock . What other tank fits in the 7?
Just take a pic of the tank and proof of purchase and email it to Mugen. They will send u the updated tank.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Active Caster

Could someone who is knowledgeable please tell me about active caster. How do you do it, how does it work and why would you want it. Under what conditions would it be desirable and when would you not want it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBackmarker
Could someone who is knowledgeable please tell me about active caster. How do you do it, how does it work and why would you want it. Under what conditions would it be desirable and when would you not want it.
Active caster is available on a chassis like the Mugen with pillow ball front suspensions. Other manufacturers that use a "C" type hub front suspension (Losi, AE, Kyosho) have "fixed" caster blocks. The caster angle remains the same throughout the front suspension travel.

Active caster allows you to have multiple caster angles throughout the suspension travel. This is a result of the 2 inner hinge pins being out of parallel. To easily view this, remove both the upper and lower front A-Arms, then reinsert just the hinge pins. With the hinge pin bushings in the stock configuration, you should see the front ends of the hinge pins are closer to one another than the back ends. In this configuration, the caster angle will be greater with the suspension at full travel (more laid back king pin angle), and less with the front suspension fully compressed (more straight up king pin angle).

If these hinge pins were parallel, the change in the caster angle would be zero throughout the front suspension travel (like a "C" block front suspension).

From the Hudy Offroad Setup Guide:

Less caster angle
(more vertical)
• Decreases straight-line stability
• Increases off-power steering at corner entry
• Increases suspension effi ciency
More caster angle
(more inclined)
• Increases straight-line stability
• Decreases off-power steering at corner entry
• Makes the car more stable through bumpy track conditions

Active caster gives you the option to have quick steering off power (when the chassis is diving down), yet more stability on power.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you. You explained it very well. That is very helpful.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Caster

Active caster gives you the option to have quick steering off power (when the chassis is diving down), yet more stability on power.[/QUOTE]

Also remember using active caster, your caster will change whenever the front suspension compresses, including going thru bumps and landing jumps. Some Pro drivers had made note of using it on smoother tracks.

Does anyone know what position the upper and lower arms need to be in, for the MBX7 to have no active caster ?

I ran the 6 with active caster ( flat top arm and the bottom arm up at front down at rear), but i found that setting to agressive in the 7 and went back to flat arms top with bottom arm down at front and up at back(which i think in no active caster).
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would think that adjusting the lower arms is going to adjust the anti-dive/kick-up. The active caster should probably only be adjusted with the upper arms. Looking at the kit set-up sheet it shows the upper arms level.
I'm guessing here so someone correct me if I'm wrong...If you remove anti-dive but want to keep active caster you should adjust the upper arms so the front upper arm would be higher or lower then the rear upper arm?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

when raising or lowering the upper arms you also effect your roll centre, but the arm is only tilting in this case so does it effect the roll centre in the front?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud
Active caster is available on a chassis like the Mugen with pillow ball front suspensions. Other manufacturers that use a "C" type hub front suspension (Losi, AE, Kyosho) have "fixed" caster blocks. The caster angle remains the same throughout the front suspension travel.

Active caster allows you to have multiple caster angles throughout the suspension travel. This is a result of the 2 inner hinge pins being out of parallel. To easily view this, remove both the upper and lower front A-Arms, then reinsert just the hinge pins. With the hinge pin bushings in the stock configuration, you should see the front ends of the hinge pins are closer to one another than the back ends. In this configuration, the caster angle will be greater with the suspension at full travel (more laid back king pin angle), and less with the front suspension fully compressed (more straight up king pin angle).

If these hinge pins were parallel, the change in the caster angle would be zero throughout the front suspension travel (like a "C" block front suspension).

From the Hudy Offroad Setup Guide:

Less caster angle
(more vertical)
• Decreases straight-line stability
• Increases off-power steering at corner entry
• Increases suspension effi ciency
More caster angle
(more inclined)
• Increases straight-line stability
• Decreases off-power steering at corner entry
• Makes the car more stable through bumpy track conditions

Active caster gives you the option to have quick steering off power (when the chassis is diving down), yet more stability on power.
Well said Jim!!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by curacing2
when raising or lowering the upper arms you also effect your roll centre, but the arm is only tilting in this case so does it effect the roll centre in the front?
Correct...you would adjust both the front and rear upper hinge pin bushings up or down together. Up to lower the roll center, down to raise the roll center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.