Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to rc's

Iwas just woundering if eny one could tell me if the behemoth truck is eny good or what they are like enything would be appreasit. thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

I hadn't even heard of that truck until I searched for it on Google. It looks like a Chinese knockoff of the Duratrax truck.

I truly believe that, for the most part, you get what you pay for in the RC world. Cars and trucks by no-name brands that are cheaper than anything else in their class, are usually lower quality.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Aaron, congrats on the new job... I'm a little late I know. Winter is electric season for me, so I don't frequent the Nitro section to much... Anyways, seen the editorial in RC Car announcing your arrival. You'll be a great addition to a great magazine
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

PM ya
Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Mike - Gotcha.

wlfgnggtr - Thank you, I'm glad you like it! I've been having a lot of fun, and I think it shows in my work.

Stay tuned each month...every issue is going to have something entertaining in it
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tuned pipe??

Hi Aaron!!

I drive a Jammin X1 CR with a Picco P7Evo2 engine. A friend has highly recomended I use the Dynamite Platinum 1/8 086 High Speed Inline Pipe.

He says it works great for mid and high end power (wich is great), but I'm affraid the pipe wouldn't work so well in slower / tighter / more technical tracks, where I'll need more low end snap.

Here is my question: Could I get the Novarossi Exhaust Extender and use it to improve bottom end power for the 086 pipe on technical tracks, and just take it off for better high end on more open tracks?? Would that combination work??
[/URL][/IMG]
Also: do you recomend using the GMK "Spring Thing" - Flexible Tuned Pipe Mounting Spring?? Does it hold the pipe snugly while at the same time absorbing vibration or would it allow the pipe to move arround too much on and off road vehicle??

Thank you in advance, sincerely, Eduardo Sanchez , Valencia (Spain)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

To be perfectly honest, I think the importance that many racers put on the engine/pipe combination is a waste of time. Fact is, most off-roaders who aren't named Drake, Bradley, or Truhe would be better off with less power anyway. All this stuff about trying to match bottom-end pipes with bottom-end engines or mixing the two, whatever. Put a pipe on the engine, get it tuned, and drive the car. Choosing the "best" pipe for the application is not going to win a club race, so don't feel like you need to cough up the money to get the perfect pipe.

With that said, the best pipe I've used on Picco-based .21 motors is the 069. It was the best balance of power and fuel mileage, but they're easy to damage. The Jammin' JP-1 also runs very well, and is a lot tougher.

To answer your question exactly, yes. You could use the adapter to try and regain some bottom end, but you will need to re-tune the engine when you remove or replace it, and I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle.

The GMK "Spring Thing" should eliminate some stress from the pipe. I've seen pipes break at the mount from being mounted too rigidly, and that's what those spring-type mounts are there for. I believe OFNA sells one as well.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Wow Aaron!! Thanks for your quick and very interesting response!!

Still, when thinking of getting a new pipe, since you're going to spend the cash anyway, of course you think of getting "the right one" ....

As I'm moving up into bigger races here in Spain, I'm not sure up to what point the 3 chamber thing will apply. Still, I've heard the JP4 complies with EFRA specifications and is also a very good "all arround" pipe, meaning it gives good top end power, but still has the low end snap, if that is possible?? (maybe combine it with changing from 14t to 13t bell)....

Thank you for sharing your knowlege.

PS: BTW...isn't it a funny coincidence that I also live in Valencia (Spain)???

Last edited by DR ZAIRUS; 02-09-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Whats up a going to do some jbrl
Old 03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Bobo - What's up? Not sure what my racing schedule will look like this year. I might make an appearance

Dr. Zairus - Sorry it took so long for me to reply! I guess I never got the notification e-mail.

From all reports I've heard, the JP-4 performs very well and is, of course, EFRA legal. I think it would be a good match for most engines and you'd never have to worry about bending the rules at any event.

Pretty ironic that we live in cities with the same name, but thousands of miles apart!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Dr. Zairus - Sorry it took so long for me to reply! I guess I never got the notification e-mail.

From all reports I've heard, the JP-4 performs very well and is, of course, EFRA legal. I think it would be a good match for most engines and you'd never have to worry about bending the rules at any event.

Pretty ironic that we live in cities with the same name, but thousands of miles apart!
Hi!! I thought you'd gone on vacation or something!! hehehee!!!

Well, I'll still have to squeeze a few gallons out of my OFNA 053 pipe, since it's a long time 'till Christmass....but if I get a chance, I'll definitelly give the JP4 a try!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Vacation...ha!

Best of luck. Both pipes should work just fine
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

hi aaron. so i have a mini mgt motor that i am trying to put in a older tmaxx. the motor fits and everything but i cant get it to start. its a pullstart. i kno the glowplug is good and im using a glowplug igniter. any reasons to why it will not start? could the motor be bad? or wrong tune up?
thanks alot. nic.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Is there resistance when you pull the rope? If not, there's no compression.

Is the engine getting fuel? Plug the end of the pipe with your finger and pull the rope a few times. You should see fuel moving through the tubing.

Try resetting the needles to their factory settings too.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Rookie

ya it has good compression and is getting fuel. so it could be the tune up. i will try finding out the stock needle settings. but i do not know what they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.