Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

yeah i understand on the track. but really, i mostly race my revo, and dont race my truck as much as play around. ok ill look into the novak system. they seemed nice and i was looking into one before. thanks for the help.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Oh. Even when playing around, more power means less run time in electric.

Good luck with whatever you pick up
Old 11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Aaron -

I see that you've raced at ARC recently. I was thinking about attending the Best of the West race on Sat and wondered what tires do you think would be good for truggy? Also how big is the track (avg lap times) and/or how would you compare it to the others in the series?? (Rev/SV/Dirt...)

Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

The track was a bit rough last weekend (they are putting in a new layout for this weekend) and we were doing 21 and 22 second laps. When it was smooth, 20's were possible.

It's a little bit bigger than Revelation...maybe a tad shorter, but a tad wider. The left side is a bit funny shaped but the layouts are always good. The dirt has awesome traction wet or dry and holds up really well. Square-edged bumps never seem to form, although the track can get a little rough after weeks of racing, but it holds up AWESOME. Having had no experience with truggy, I'd guess that it would be a toss-up between Bow-Ties and Holeshots, either wet or dry.

I'm pretty sure I'll be there on Saturday. I have a wedding to attend on Sunday and I'm missing the big family picnic/rehearsal dinner on Saturday (the girlfriend says it's okay but I KNOW she's lying).
Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If she says it is ok but you know it is wrong then you will still get in trouble. This is a lesson in love bud! You have to weight happy GF or playing with toy cars?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks Aaron. I may give the GRP Cubics a try. I don't know if you've seen them but they work great at Revelation.

One last thing...what about pit space there?? Do I need to bring my own??

Forget the rehearsal dinner (Quals). You'll still be at the wedding. (Mains.)

Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Aaron,
I have recently purchased a Team Birdman motor for my MF-2, they're great.
Then it's time to run a comm stick, and ultimatly skim the comm. New brushes, spring, and so on. It's no longer an aftermarket tuned motor.

Do you reccomend the high price versions, like the birdman ($43), or something straight from Trinity for more like $30?

Also... Do you use comm drops?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Casper - Hahahahaha. I told her from the beginning...toy cars have been a part of my life longer than she has.

She came to my girls' volleyball team's game tonight, and from there we went to a very informal family pizza night with the family that is already in town for the wedding. I shook some hands, gave some hugs, ate some pizza. I think I'm off the hook for Saturday, but we'll see.

nutfluff - I know what the buggy Cubics look like...I didn't know they made truggy ones, but I can imagine they're like Holeshots so they should be fine, especially if the track gets packed. Pit space should be fine, although it may not hurt to bring a table and chair just in case. I don't know what kind of turnout they're expecting. If you get there early you can pit indoors!

The BOTW race on Saturday is just a one-day dealio (as far as I know?)...so I'll be home and rested up for the wedding on Sunday, hehe.

jgroenhof - This is a loaded question! You could ask ten electric racers this question and get ten different answers. I'm sure I'll get blasted for my opinions on this matter, but here it goes:

All the motors come from EPIC, which is a Trinity-owned company (does anyone even run TOP or Yokomo stock motors anymore? haha). Stock motors are subject to some pretty strict rules in an effort to keep things fair but it makes buying a good stock motor a crapshoot in a grab bag. I am a firm believer that there is absolutely no amount of motor tuning you can do (brush hood alignment, shaft straightening, bushing polishing, brush and spring combinations, etc) to make a bad stocker as fast as a good one that was pulled out of the package. There is no way to guarantee absolute consistency in magnet production, wire compound and wrapping technique (stock motors are machine wound), and other manufacturing tolerances.

Just because a motor is a dyno champion doesn't necessarily mean that will translate into on-track performance.

When these smaller motor companies tout their motors as "pro tuned" but still mass produced, I seriously doubt there are people at the shop running each motor, even if on a dyno, tweaking springs and trying new brushes on each motor. Just because they put their own brushes (and maybe springs) on it, cut the comm (more on that later), and slap their sticker on the can, doesn't mean the motor was actually tuned at all. I could be wrong, but it doesn't make business sense to me.

I've always heard that cutting the comm on a brand new motor is a waste of time. The motor needs to be run a couple times before it is cut to allow the comm to harden. I've always done this, either a few practice runs on the track or 10 minutes on a power supply, to both stock and mod motors. Again, I doubt this is done at the factory.

I don't use comm drops on my motors. I've messed around with stuff in the past but never found anything that made enough of a significant difference to recommend to a consumer.

And that's my opinion on stock motors. Flame away guys!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I told her from the beginning...toy cars have been a part of my life longer than she has.
!

Quotes about girls and R/C:

"A relationship is like an R/C car: anything can break!"

or:

"A relationship is like an R/C car: after 1 season it's usually worn out and sloppy."

:-)
Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I would say you are close enough on the stock motor stuff. I have never heard about the comm hardening thing. I think that is a load as you would only change the thin layer you are cutting off.

I agree no amount of tuning will make a bad motor good. But there are small things to do to make any motor better. Also good motor people will tell you dyno numbers do not win races but they give a good indication that one is better then the other. It is like shining a spot light on the target. Does not mean you will hit it but it is better then a shot in the dark!

Also I cut and rebrush my motors on a regular basis. I do not change springs unless I am trying something (harder or softer). A Birdman or Banzai type stock motor will hit the dyno and everyone will get some attention. Will the they spend an hour tweaking every last bit out of every motor, no but they do tweak enough motors to know what works for each type. Some like hard springs some like soft. Some like 766 brushes some like 4499 etc. You see it on the dyno and the results are tested on the track. If you buy a tuned motor and change everything on it afte 5 runs then you can save yourself a couple bucks and throw the dart into the case and hope for the best. I know people who have got great motors and some who got paper weights. You never know. Getting a "tuned" motor from a reputable company will increase your chances of getting a strong motor. No guarentees in this sport.

P.S. I told my wife that same thing. I have been playing with toy cars before I meet you. This is part of me. Accept it or leave me. LOL It is better then coming home drunk every night so she is pretty accepting. Does not always like it but acccepting. Sounds like the pizza dinner greased the skids. Have fun at the race, but bring flowers to the wedding!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, I'm all about Santa Aaron bearing gifts. But I swear...if she catches the bouquet...

She doesn't seem to have a problem with my racing at all; it's the leaving for 2-5 days seemingly once a month that she's not getting a kick out of. I tell her that absence makes the heart grow fonder and she just stares at me.

elvo - I would NEVER draw like comparisons between R/C cars and women! Besides, I traded my old one in earlier this year and picked up a newer model lately, so hopefully we're good to go for a while. HAHA

For example, R/C cars don't get mad if you leave them at home for a week. Their biggest problems can be fixed with simple tools and hardware. They don't make you feel guilty if you look at another car at the hobby store, and you certainly won't be in trouble if you go play with another car at the track. Heck, you can take more than one car to the track at the same time! They'll sit next to each other in the car, you can stick them in the same room when you get home, etc.

Hahaha...with all that said, Alycia has been awesome since we've started dating. (Just had to make sure I cleared that up).
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
it's the leaving for 2-5 days seemingly once a month that she's not getting a kick out of..

Well, for 2-5 days every month or so.. .ermm... you know.. us guys ain't gettin no kicks either!
If there was a way, to somehow synchronize ... that cycle ... with your R/C racing schedule...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Synchronize the two? ARE YOU CRAZY?!

Leave and deprive her of attention...when she's the most irritable and moody. That sounds like heaven but I envision coming back into town and finding a pile of burning embers where my house once stood.

No thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not crazy. I'm just not whipped like you

Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure that is the cause of my fear in a situation like that. I'm not denying that I'm whipped, but I dated some real winners in high school and I know what the female mind is capable of when it is upset, hahaha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.