Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

From my understanding, the 8IGHT was in big part due to Jr. and Jukka. I don't know when they officially began working on the project. Jukka ran for Kyosho, and then Mugen, for 1/8th scale buggy as a racer and attended at least a couple events here in the U.S. as well.

As for the Siccom buggy of the late 80's....well, I was only three years old when the 80's ended, haha.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Aaron, Are you going to be at the Rc Pro Series finals next week?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

No, I'm staying home. A 2nd and a 3rd place finish in the two divisional races I attended have me in a big tie for 17th place nationally...hahaha.

Adam is going, hopefully he cleans house!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

are you going to make it to fall nitrofest at the farm?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Not that I know of? Haha. I might go to the CRCRC race this year, maybe as a race official, and the Thunder Alley Endurance Race in January and the Nitro Challenge in February would be my next couple races.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

To
The
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey long time no talk. I'm (rubbierobber). I have a set-up question..again..for a smooth, hard-packed track. You would lower the rear-ride height to get more side-bite right?? o and on myspace I'm that rusty kid witgh a messed up picture. Guys Aaron is a one of a kind. Don't hesitate to ask a question cause he will explain it and better..

Rusty
Old 11-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

I don't usually add R/C'ers on MySpace. Nothing personal, I just keep work life and private life separate.

USUALLY, lower rear ride height would yield more sidebite, while a higher rear ride height will give you more forward bite.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Aaron,
I was snoopin around since i got my car used i never got the real manual. Im having a very hard time with gearing and motor temp running a stock motor. My track rarely has enuff wheelers to have a class so i run in the novice class just so i can race.The XXX4's manual reccomends a 25 and has the same ratio as the G+ manual of 2.10 that reccomends 17-20(depending on track size and motor).

My car started out a regular XXX4, i bought everything but diffs and pulleys/slipper. But the ratios are the same on both models so i wonder why the early version has a 25 and the latter 17-20....
All my car info is here.
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134884
Any help would be great!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Not sure why the change in the manuals, except that a 25 sounds WAY too high. That might be on-road gearing? I don't know. I'd start somewhere in that 17-20 range (probably 20 with a P2K, 18 or 19 with a P2K2, 17 or 16 with a Monster) and see how it reacts to that.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

whats the best brushless motor to run in my kyosho ultima st type-r? i would like something that can be good for racing and bashing. i want to be able to keep up with the pack and be able to lift the front wheels off the ground.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Novak has had a long time to work on their brushless systems, and I've heard from racers that they work really well. I would imagine that the 6.5 motor would be more than enough power for what you're wanting to do with it, but Gil Losi Jr. ran the 5.5 (I believe) at Hot Rod for the Reedy Truck Race and it worked great (albeit probably a little TOO much, haha). His truck would wheelie on command anywhere on the track.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

the only time you have too much power is wheen you rip the gears up/ if the gears stay on place and good, then its fine, because you can learn to the power. haha. so the 6.5 would be good?what about the mambas or a reedy? i run a neo in my street car and love it, but im not sure how it owuld do in a truck. and ive heard great stuff about the mamba. o and are the novaks and mambas sensored? and is it better if it is sensored or not sensored?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry to butt in here Aaron, but ...
-All of the brushless that you mentioned will work in the truck. The Novak is sensored, but I do not think the Mamba is. I have heard that the 5700 Mamba is all you would ever need, for anything. The Neo is supposed to be good as well. I have also heard that you want the higher numbers of turns for offroad in the truck (6.5,7.5 or the 5700, or the 1 or 2 star). I have heard that the Sphere Comp with a Novak 7.5 is supposed to be great
-When I ran a stock motor in my xxx-4 (94T kevlar spur) I ran a 20 pinion and it kept cool and was about perfect. and like Aaron said drop one for the Monster or Co27.
HTH
Rod
Old 11-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

You can butt in anytime if you have good information (and the fact that you presented your points in a well-spoken manner was great!).

I'm not too up to speed on brushless motor technology, but the way that it was explained to me, sensored systems are far superior in power delivery and driveability. I mentioned Novak's systems because I've heard fewer reports of failures of their new stuff versus some of the other companies. I think the Novak motors are closer to the weight of a standard brushed motor too, which should help maintain the right balance of your truck.

There is DEFINITELY a such thing as too much power on a racetrack. Sure, you can always learn to control the power, but I'd bet that 80% of R/C racers would go faster with a good stocker or a 19 turn versus a low-turn modified motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.