Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should be my next truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

I've had each truggy mentioned in this thread with exception to the Xray. I've seen a number of guys at my local tracks with each truck as well. Each of us who have switched to the Mugen are very happy. Both it's handling and it's durability are at the top. I had absolutely no complaints about the Losi 2.0 from a handling standpoint, but as others have mentioned, the rear diff can be problematic and the plastics wear out faster than average as well as the metal hinge pin holders. Is the truck still fast in spite of the slop and play that develops? It certainly is. I avoided all those untimely outer axle bearing problems by having the stock hub carriers, front and rear, machined to accept the larger and more standard sized 8x16x5mm bearings. I've had the Mugen 6T since May and have had zero issues with anything. I race a lot and I practice a lot. With that said, I'd think that if something was gonna go wrong with the rear diff or anything else in the Mugen, it would have happened by now. Good luck in your decision
Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Thanks guys for all your input, sounds like to me that the losi is a great truggy but has some issues, the mugen mbx6t has rear diff problems, does anybody know of problems with the rc8t? i think i will hold out for 1 more week for the Rc8t from stormer hobbies....
I wouldn't say it that way. The Losi doesn't really have "issues" per se... it just requires a little more frequent maintainance... just a bit more attention. It is a great truck. The "front center" driveshaft wear is higher than most due to the angle... and drivetrain wear in general is higher than the XRAY. Yes, the plastics get sloppy. They seem to work better then... Note that Losi parts are inexpensive, so that makes up (in cost) for the more frequent replacement.

Likewise on the Mugen. I've got 2 "teammates" (for lack of a better term) running the MBX-6T. No problems... One has replaced a pinion gear due to wear. Tough, fast, nimble, athletic truck. Does everything well. Maybe a tiny bit less "aggressive" than the Losi to drive.

My XRAY has approximately 2 years on the original drivetrain. Finally time to change holes on the CVDs and press in new pins. The wear resistance and overall toughness of Hudy Steel (tm) is phenomenal. None of the others can match it. I have the upgraded "adjustable" hinge pin holders, and the wear on the little plastic bushings is pretty rapid... but they're VERY cheap. And the XRAY is (with the exception of ONE part) easier to work on. (The part that isn't easier is that to change bearings on the differentials you have to tear the diff apart due to the lip on the outdrive. I believe that was changed on the new truck.) The captured hingepins with that setup (again, it is an upgrade) make changing parts much easier.

Note that the Losi is similar... but the extra complexity of the rear inserts to support the diffs, and the little plastic part on the bulkheads that protrude into the chassis complicate OTHER matters... as does the single-piece center differential mount.

(Note: I've owned a Mugen Buggy, Losi Buggy, Ofna Buggy, Kyosho Buggy, Jammin Buggy, Jammin Truggy, and XRAY Truggy. My favorite from a balance of parts wear, driveability, durability and toughness, and easy to work on... the XRAY hands down.)

That's just my opinion. ANY of the trucks listed are perfectly capable, good quality, and easy to get parts for. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Where do you guys get the pins for drive shafts?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just to throw this out there....6T Front center and rear center

Truck was bought mid summer and raced a couple club races and 2 weekend events...buddy used a variety of .21's NO .28's

Front

Front

Rear

Point im trying to make is that ALL vehicles suffer from wear....if you let it slide for 2 year's and the outdrives are notched and the pins are Flat you have been suffering from degraded performance due to the sloppy drive train.

Xray/Hudy pins are IMO no better then Mugen or Losi...Ive Tried them ALL.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i ran an jammin x1 for a year and i bought it used and i never had a driveshaft wear. i had a rear one bend a little when i first got it but it suffered a huge hit. i replaced all driveshafts when i converted it to an x2 about 2 months ago and the only reason i did was because they had a little bow in them, not worn out or anything just a little bowed. i still have them and i would use them it one bent or anything like that but not all drive shafts wear. now outdrives are another story i had huge notches out on my outdrives and the new lightened ones are even worse. but i think more than anything is how you drive your buggy or truggy if you are wide open all the time and drive it hard it will wear.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default LOSI

This could be debated for months any kit you buy will have their pros / cons iit all depends on your preference, setup, oils, track and how often you do maintenance.

The only problems I've had on my Losi 2.0 T were rear diff and throttle servos but it was a learning curve problem solved thanks to this forum. Parts are everywhere and cheap and the resale value is pretty high which too me iis important. Also their support is awesome many parts flown in free of charge.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

What do you guys think about the Odonnell product i have not heard much about it, but i here they are pretty good?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How about buying what your LHS carries?
(the reason I ran Losi last season, now they carry Kyosho and Mugen also)
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Prophet

i raced with a guy that had the oringnal. o donnell buggy it was pretty dam,
heavy but u can drive it pretty. hard compared to the eight-t etc i dont know, about the truggy but i know the new updated one is better and lighter.

the parts on it are pretty good kind of like xray , so u proberty wont break much i only seen two of them where. i race at and the two guys who have.
them dont come all the time so if u need help with a setup or something or a, spare part its iffy.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
How about buying what your LHS carries?
(the reason I ran Losi last season, now they carry Kyosho and Mugen also)

yea its kind of iffy if u have a lhs but that, truggy/buggy is pretty tough
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What do you guys think about the Odonnell product i have not heard much about it, but i here they are pretty good?
i hear they are pretty good and if they are anything like the buggy they are great. and the customer service is top notch steve odonnell is willing to help with anything, he called my dad when he had a simple question and stayed on the phone for 45 min giving him advice, alot of people have said he will offer alot of help to people even if they buy used. and they are tuff as nails, everything is great quality parts. im planning on getting a odonnell truggy in the spring.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i hear they are pretty good and if they are anything like the buggy they are great. and the customer service is top notch steve odonnell is willing to help with anything, he called my dad when he had a simple question and stayed on the phone for 45 min giving him advice, alot of people have said he will offer alot of help to people even if they buy used. and they are tuff as nails, everything is great quality parts. im planning on getting a odonnell truggy in the spring.

WOW that is pretty crazy that a owner of a large company like Odonnell would actually take the time to talk to the end user on the phone, that says alot about there product!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Odonnell had a very good line I actually built and ran a Z10t for a few tanks couple of thing which come too mind is the finish very nice he used very good plastics and his kits were very well thought out other then the steering servo for the Truggy. I also didn't care for the diffs they breath through a opening on the bottom but fine dirt creeps in. The kits are heavy but the drive train is super clean and very free while using lightweight materials. The problem I had was parts are not commonly used in my area but their customer service is awesome Steve actually called too discuss some problems which I posted. The reason I sold was due too stocking another arsenal of parts from my Losi 8ights. If you want a kits these sell for pretty cheap and their parts are very reasonable. handling is very stout and nimble and very competitive.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Speaking of customer service:

I ordered some parts I needed from A-Main, and unfortunately the parts were mis-labeled. (Just something that happens, not bashing A-main... and they were parts I will use eventually anyway, just not what I needed or expected.)

We had a big race the following weekend, so I didn't have time to find the right part. Nobody locally (hobby shops) had them in stock.

Brian (I am pretty sure that is his name) from RC America (XRAY distributor) took the time to personally drive to the track and drop off what I actually needed.

Granted, RC America is local to us... (Maybe 15 miles or so from the track) but still... that was completely unexpected. RC America absolutely rocks. They're very helpful with questions, the drivers are helpful at the track, and of course they have a great product line.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Does anybody know somebody at stomer hobbies on when they are getting there RC8T CE's ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.