LIFEPO4 RX 6.4V BATTERY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIFEPO4 RX 6.4V BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK..Ive just bought another of the receiver packs, and it is only charging to 1100 mah after a few discharge/charge cycles...am I doing something wrong...what chargers are you lot using, and are you getting full capacity??

someone must know!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thats kind of odd because every rechargeable battery I have owned has always been a little underrated for capacity. Usually there is an extra 100 - 200 mah. Not that you can use this since it is probably the last few bits before the pack dumps, but it is still there.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tommo
OK..Ive just bought another of the receiver packs, and it is only charging to 1100 mah after a few discharge/charge cycles...am I doing something wrong...what chargers are you lot using, and are you getting full capacity??

someone must know!!!
Tommo hello

Now ill explain somethings to you about the battery .Not all chargers are the same the ebay specials that most people buy are just not good enough not saying that your charger is an ebay special .some of these other chargers that you see on sale at a low price are low in spec and quality they are not what they say they are software will tell you anything but are the mechanical components doing the job they asked to do ?.Some chargers are cheap for a reason and the reason is that cheaper components are used thus less performance ,less reliability.bringing you the less price .Expensive chargers are expensive like the hyperions,vista's etc because they are state of the Art charging units which use precise components for precise charging thus giving you true figures.

I have tried the eq swallow charger and when i did a discharge to charge i got about 1100mah,tried the venom got about 1050mah,and the imaxb6 got about 1250mah then i went to a vista power charger which can charge up to 10amp this charger is top of the line with perfect charging patterns on a discharge to charge we got about 1350 mah the battery is probably 1450mah which you wont see the 100mah anyway as it is none useable.Also tried the hyperion charger and got 1350mah and also tried the dynam 5amp 50w charger and got 1230mah.

Do you see any of the high end guys at major race meetings running electric use a swallow or a low end charger to charge there batteries?I have never seen it but as you know the eq is dual voltage and thats the only advantage these ac dc built in chargers have is the dual input voltage fullstop.nitro guys dont care what charger they use even if its a wall charger to charge the battery as they think an rx pack is just charged and thats it .It doesnt work that way.

You need to do a few deep cycles with your charger to get the chemical element flowing through the battery .

Alot of batteries you see out there today like nimh they charge over 4600mah when the battery is 4500 but within 10 charge cycles they drop off so drymatically you would be shocked to see what mah rating they have at the end of the 10cycles i wont mention any brands.

Wayne walker uses the vista charger on his stick packs and he uses high end Mks brushless servos which need more current to operate and he gets about 1.3 hours of run time so his semi's and 1hour finals are not a problem .

conclusion try some different charger from a mate or dave from ryper and do some more deep cycles and im sure you will not have a problem .

take care tommo just trying to pass on some spec info so you understand batteries and chargers.

Last edited by COBRARACING; 09-15-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok Angelo..I will try another charger and see if that fixes things...all the perth guys are using the same charger on these packs.. the EQ swallow...we have never had problems before charging LIPO's with the EQ...but I will try another..just got to find some one who has one..
Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tommo
Ok Angelo..I will try another charger and see if that fixes things...all the perth guys are using the same charger on these packs.. the EQ swallow...we have never had problems before charging LIPO's with the EQ...but I will try another..just got to find some one who has one..
Tommo

Yes understand you guys have been charging lipos but dont forget with lipo you cannot discharge the cell to zero or you will kill it as they have a cut off which wont allow you to so the cell isnt destroyed so you never really know what you have actually put in it plus the mah/voltage that cannot be discharged.

Lifep04 is different it has no cutoff but will have an unuseable 100-150 mah which will drop off very quickly .

Lipo is part of the same family of lithium batteries but they use not so heavy metal materials so they have a different chemical element which has different charging patterns and needs a a couple of deep cycles to get the chemical element flowing .

Not forgetting most chargers on the market to get the price down for the consumer will charge every type of battery but they are basic so you never know if it is actually doing the right job for that battery.

I hope this helps you

regards Angelo
Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yiassou Angelo - Ti kianni vre!?

Will you be releasing updated LiFe battery for D8?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marz
Yiassou Angelo - Ti kianni vre!?

Will you be releasing updated LiFe battery for D8?
Yes it will be 1200mah .should get about 1.2 hours of run time.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, finally got noticed, 3 batts are coming to Chile !!!, will get them next week, im dying to test them out as receiver batts !

cya !
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Question for you Cobra. I ran Lipo for awhile, and went thru several batteries. Lipos didnt seem to handle the abuse from 1/8th scale off-road. I ran CommonSense batts and after awhile they would either stop working, get a bad cell, or swell to the point it looked like they were gonna blow. How do these type of cells hold up to the abuse? are they hardcased? Buying new reciever packs every month or so gets pretty pricey. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

LiFe packs are much more resilient than Lipos, and actually safer than NiMH packs. I've been running a block pack in my 8ight, without the foam packing on the bottom. No problems. I dont even have to open my RX box to charge.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stipres
Question for you Cobra. I ran Lipo for awhile, and went thru several batteries. Lipos didnt seem to handle the abuse from 1/8th scale off-road. I ran CommonSense batts and after awhile they would either stop working, get a bad cell, or swell to the point it looked like they were gonna blow. How do these type of cells hold up to the abuse? are they hardcased? Buying new reciever packs every month or so gets pretty pricey. Thanks for your input.
Hello

Lifep04 is reliable and safe .They dont swell at all as they are not made of the heavy metals like lipos .

I can tell you this one of the tests that i did and witnessed was a hammer straight on the centre of the battery and it was fully charged also we cut it with a hacksaw as well no problems no explosions not a thing went wrong of course the battery was damaged after the hammer attack but it didnt blow up .

you can feel safe and not worry about buying a battery every month .good for up to a min of 500 cycles

I just charged these batteries with a 15 amp charge and to be honest the battery was just warm no swelling and took about 12 minutes to charge wow

Remember when lipo cells inflate its because the cell is leaking its chemical element and not from overcharging.what bloats is the cell sealed rap with air .

i hope this information helps you out

Last edited by COBRARACING; 09-24-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Angelo....email me that info on the batts we discussed.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Ok it has been some time now that these batteries have been on the market. Who has some feedback? How long will they last on a charge? How durable are they?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Hi.

NOSRAM has just released their new RX LiFePo packs:

http://www.nosram.com/en/products/batteries/lifepo/
Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

congratulations to Nosram to bad there too big in physical size to fit any rc vehicle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.