Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Vspec or Novarossi .21 bf limited?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I personally think you strangle the engine a bit with a bottom end pipe like the 053. The V-spec is a low end mill (meaning torque not price) coupling it to a low end pipe will give you more bottom than you need and not enough mid-top end, so you may suffer some on the straights. The two best pipes are the JP-3 and the 2050 (re-11). The JP-3 is a fuel hog though and you will pay $20 more for it, and get up to 4 minutes less run time! The V-spec has all the bottom you need as is, so get the pipe that was made to go with it which is the Re-11, or if you want to pay double the price find a OS 2050. These are my experiences, and will differ from other peoples, but I already tried them all, so you don't have to if you are racing on a really small track with no long straights the only major differences you will notice with pipes are run times, and smoothness of powerband

I have actually found the JP-3 to get great milage on the v-spec. I got 11-12 minutes runtime in my truggy on a huge track(motorama track 200' straight). That was running at 200*F with the 9mm restrictor. A fully race tuned engine with correct restrictor(7 or 8 mm) would have gotten close to 15 min. To me that is pretty damn good. Now I know the other pipes get more runtime, but IMO the JP-3 is NOT a fuel hog on the v-spec. They are on most engines, but from my experiences they aren't on the OS. The EB 2041 is also a great pipe for the v-spec. Better runtime than the 3 with about the same powerband. RE-11 is on my list right now. Been meaning to try it.

Oh and I found the 053 to be a pretty good fit. It really smoothed it out and made it easier to drive. A good fit for a buggy, or slippery condidions. Just my findings.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
The RE11 looks a lot like the 2050 but has anyone run it and verified that it runs the same? The 2050 is considered a low end pipe (it's long) and V-specs scream on top with it. I think the low-end/high end thing isn't all that useful, it's more what matches a given engine.
It IS a 2050.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Ok, so my LHS has the Vspec, and Dynamite 053 in stock. I'm going to pick those up this weekend. I've got a pair of brand new servos, (1015, 1313) for steering/throttle, and a brand new rx battery. So this should be a pretty good setup correct? I just want to make sure I am doing stuff RIGHT, and not settling for something just because it costs less.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
Ok, so my LHS has the Vspec, and Dynamite 053 in stock. I'm going to pick those up this weekend. I've got a pair of brand new servos, (1015, 1313) for steering/throttle, and a brand new rx battery. So this should be a pretty good setup correct? I just want to make sure I am doing stuff RIGHT, and not settling for something just because it costs less.
Sounds like a pretty good setup to me.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I've run it, but I have not run the 2050. I think it has to do with the chambers. Even though it is long and looks like a low end pipe. It really keeps the engine pulling and gives the smoothest powerband and the best runtimes. Lets also remember that OS made the 2050 just for the V-spec engine, and the RE-11 is supposed to be a copy of the 2050.

I'm no pro, but a pro engine guy told me the best bet is usually a pipe that contradicts the engine.

3-4 ports= low end engine= high end pipe
5-8 ports=high end engine=low end pipe

of course like engine tuning there is no set formula. It's all trial and error, but I can tell you from expierience here at "The Nitro Pit"..I have tried JP3, JP2, JP4, 053, 086, and RE-11 on my V-spec and I wont use anything else but the RE-11 from now on. I would think different tracks, and drivers, and track layouts will make other people prefer other pipes
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

I'm just gonna keep my JP4, and save it for something else. I already have about 4-5 servos laying around that would work well in a nitro, and a Losi dsm rx. I'm probably gonna scoop the novarossi .21 bf, and basically, I have enough stuff for a truggy too...all I would need is a roller

I am just taking another run at this nitro thing, with a good setup, learn it, and then if I catch on, get a truggy. I just think I'm fooling myself into thinking nitro is so much more difficult than electric stuff. I'm just hung up on tuning, I don't know how to do it, and I don't know what the car is supposed to FEEL like if my bottom is too lean/fat, and if my top end is too lean/fat.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The V-SPEC would be alot easier to tune for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bphil49
The V-SPEC would be alot easier to tune for you.
Very true. OS engines are the easiest tuning engines, period. Not that nova's are hard to tune, just not as easy as OS.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Very true. OS engines are the easiest tuning engines, period. Not that nova's are hard to tune, just not as easy as OS.
Gotcha. I'm pretty much dead set on buying the Vspec this friday, so this is all good news to me.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
I'm just gonna keep my JP4, and save it for something else. I already have about 4-5 servos laying around that would work well in a nitro, and a Losi dsm rx. I'm probably gonna scoop the novarossi .21 bf, and basically, I have enough stuff for a truggy too...all I would need is a roller

I am just taking another run at this nitro thing, with a good setup, learn it, and then if I catch on, get a truggy. I just think I'm fooling myself into thinking nitro is so much more difficult than electric stuff. I'm just hung up on tuning, I don't know how to do it, and I don't know what the car is supposed to FEEL like if my bottom is too lean/fat, and if my top end is too lean/fat.
You will know when your tune is off, although you may not know how to fix it, you will see it, feel it, and hear it. One great thing about this hobby is you can go to anyone at the track and ask for help, and they will all help you tune your engine (as long as they have time) make sure you ask what they are doing and why, and not just let them do it. Good luck and have fun, keep us posted
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Lets also remember that OS made the 2050 just for the V-spec engine, and the RE-11 is supposed to be a copy of the 2050.

I'm no pro, but a pro engine guy told me the best bet is usually a pipe that contradicts the engine.
Actually, the OS 2050 pre-dates the V-spec by several years, might even be older than the VZ-b going all the way back to the VO-1b days.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
Actually, the OS 2050 pre-dates the V-spec by several years, might even be older than the VZ-b going all the way back to the VO-1b days.
It is still OS's reccomended pipe for the standard v-spec. RE11 is a 2050. Therefore it works.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hate to throw a rock into this but for buggy you are better off with the os 2060, the 2050 makes the v spec a handfull if your not carefull, i even use a 2060 in truggy with the os, runtimes are better to, smoother on bottom and makes it easy to drive hard, and topend is awesome.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

You will know when your tune is off, although you may not know how to fix it, you will see it, feel it, and hear it. One great thing about this hobby is you can go to anyone at the track and ask for help, and they will all help you tune your engine (as long as they have time) make sure you ask what they are doing and why, and not just let them do it. Good luck and have fun, keep us posted
everybody thinks they know how to tune an engine but there are only a few who are elite
Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
I hate to throw a rock into this but for buggy you are better off with the os 2060, the 2050 makes the v spec a handfull if your not carefull, i even use a 2060 in truggy with the os, runtimes are better to, smoother on bottom and makes it easy to drive hard, and topend is awesome.
Been meaning to pick one of those up too, but the price tag hurts. I will give the re11 a try first. I want to have both of them to test anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.