Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Vspec or Novarossi .21 bf limited?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default O.S. Vspec or Novarossi .21 bf limited?

I am buying a new engine this week for my RC8, and was wondering if the V-Spec is really worth the extra $100 over a Novarossi .21 bf limited. Both are pretty well recommended, and I was curious if I will actually notice a difference in performance in the O.S. engine. vs. the Novarossi.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
I am buying a new engine this week for my RC8, and was wondering if the V-Spec is really worth the extra $100 over a Novarossi .21 bf limited. Both are pretty well recommended, and I was curious if I will actually notice a difference in performance in the O.S. engine. vs. the Novarossi.
The difference would be like night and day. The BF is a great little motor but it wont have the power of the vspec or the fuel economy. You can get one from amain for a pretty good deal right now also.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if you drove both engine's back to back yes you would see the os is stronger. That being said the n21 is no slouch on the track either. But the os just is just a faster motor. If you don't need that kind of power then the n21 is your engine, it is plenty fast. The only issue with the n21 for me is the topend of the rod, no bushing, only on the bottom, this has been a wek point on some of the n21's, other than that, both are good reliable engines, but IMO the os is the faster of the 2, with better runtimes as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

So that big of a difference huh?

I don't need something that is scorching fast, just something that is fast ENOUGH. As far as runtimes go, how much of a difference are we talking? How durable/reliable are both?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So that big of a difference huh?

I don't need something that is scorching fast, just something that is fast ENOUGH. As far as runtimes go, how much of a difference are we talking? How durable/reliable are both?
n.21 good fast relable engine 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 runtime's

OS Used by world champs, 8 1/2 to 11 runtimes.

both imo are pretty good as far as lifspan, you just need to keep good care on both, as with any motor, and they wil last. I use a V Spec in my 1/8 latemodel, it rip's, and it's faster even on lose tracks thatn the spec .n21 that some guy's run. I really think you would be happy with either, but as a in between motor as far as feel, look closely at the Nova Plus 4, if you need more info on that engine shoot me a pm.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Then N21 is certainly "fast enough". You should be able to pit @ 7.5 minutes with it with a proper tune but the others are right, the V-spec is much faster and gets much longer run times. Other upsides to the Nova is #1 it uses less expensive "standard" glow plugs, #2 it's almost 1/2 the cost of the V-spec and #3 Nova's usually last longer. OS last ok, but normally not as long as the RB's and Novarossis.

FWIW, your comparison is a little apples to oranges, the V-spec should be more closely compared to Nova's P5X which is closer in power/runtime and most importantly, price.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

I guess I'll probably end up getting the Vspec. What size (tooth) clutch bell should I run? I BELIEVE I have a 13t now. All the clutch shoes, shims, springs, and bell are in a zip lock bag in my closet
Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I guess I'll probably end up getting the Vspec. What size (tooth) clutch bell should I run? I BELIEVE I have a 13t now. All the clutch shoes, shims, springs, and bell are in a zip lock bag in my closet
That depends entirely on the car but in the case of your RC8 you don't want a 13t. The RC8 has higher ratio (truggy style) gearbox gears so something more like a 15-16t is appropriate, 13t would be way too low.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I pulled vspecs with my hotmods limited bf..........bf is plenty if you arent a WFO driver, if you go Nova, make sure to get the limited version with the newer carb and bearings.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
That depends entirely on the car but in the case of your RC8 you don't want a 13t. The RC8 has higher ratio (truggy style) gearbox gears so something more like a 15-16t is appropriate, 13t would be way too low.
like I said, I THINK I do, i'll check tonight...good chance it is what you're referring to, a 15t-16t...

How well does the Nova hold a tune?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

How well does the Nova hold a tune?
extremely well, its a Novarossi......I love my hotmods bf limited, its a solid runner and a great backup for my plus4
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

ive had both the nova you should get eight gallons easy.. not the top of the os but has great tourque if coupled with the right pipe. the os i had was the speed.. fast fast fast all i can say... has pretty good tourque,, again with the right pipe. i got six gallons out of mine.. not a bit of slop in the rod.. if you want an engine that you can rebuild middle or the end of the season os is the way to go. the crank and the ceramic bearings make the bottom end of that engine bullet proof.dont mean to hijack you thread but the new novas i hear are great with good runtime.. also the price range for the two motors are no where near each... ya get what ya pay for..
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Definately the OS if you can swing it. There really is no comparison as far as preformance goes. The v-spec IS faster and WILL get better runtime. The Nova is a great little engine. It is the best budget engine made, period. But you can't compare it to a v-spec. I have 8 gallons on my standard v-spec currently, so I would say lifespan is not an issue. I hear all of this OS bashing all the time, how they only last 3-4 gallons, etc... Well don't believe a word of it. If you take care of it properly the v-spec will last as long as any other engine. I believe myrcbox.com just posted a 20 gallon review of a v-spec. Still running strong, with only one bearing and rod change. This is not a normal lifespan by any means, but it gives you the idea that the v-spec CAN last if you treat it right.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Definately the OS if you can swing it. There really is no comparison as far as preformance goes. The v-spec IS faster and WILL get better runtime. The Nova is a great little engine. It is the best budget engine made, period. But you can't compare it to a v-spec. I have 8 gallons on my standard v-spec currently, so I would say lifespan is not an issue. I hear all of this OS bashing all the time, how they only last 3-4 gallons, etc... Well don't believe a word of it. If you take care of it properly the v-spec will last as long as any other engine. I believe myrcbox.com just posted a 20 gallon review of a v-spec. Still running strong, with only one bearing and rod change. This is not a normal lifespan by any means, but it gives you the idea that the v-spec CAN last if you treat it right.
Well I can appreciate that. I tell that to people all the time that talk about real cars, and say "well a Mitsubishi won't last as long as a Honda, blah blah"

If you take care of ANYTHING it will last...period.

With that being said, what are the usual "maintence tips". Similar to a real car...what should I do after every run? 2 gallons? 3-4 gallons? 6+ gallons?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well I can appreciate that. I tell that to people all the time that talk about real cars, and say "well a Mitsubishi won't last as long as a Honda, blah blah"

If you take care of ANYTHING it will last...period.

With that being said, what are the usual "maintence tips". Similar to a real car...what should I do after every run? 2 gallons? 3-4 gallons? 6+ gallons?
I tear my engines down pretty often to inspect them. About every 1-2 gallons. Check the lower rod bushing for play, use a good set of calipers and measure the crank pin for roundness. Inspect the bearings for any signs of wear or corrosion. Inspect the piston and head button for pittion or heavy carbon build up.

I also use after run oil if I am going to be storing the engine for more than a week or so. IMO it's not nessicary to use ARO after every run.

Replace bearings and rod when they start to wear. A good point to do this anyway is aroung the 3 gallon mark. I use TKO ceramic bearings in all of my engines. I would also reccomend a speed or Ninja JX(same) rod. They are stronger than the v-spec rods and have an oiling hole in them so you will get extra lubrication to the crank pin/rod bushing.

Other than that, treat it well. Keep it tuned properly not too cold or too hot. A good race tune should run between 200-235*F. Though don't tune by temp, Tune by preformance, sound and smoke, just use temp to insure you are in the correct general area. Also run good fuel. Fuel has a lot to do with engine life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.