Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New XRAY 808

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Leon have u tried any 8hole piston setups?

Last edited by Ultraspeed84; 06-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

delete
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Ready for action just need some springs and track time before we hit the winner circle..
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-dsc_0608.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is the overdrive gear a crutch?

I ask this because I feel like I've come to rely on it and I think others have too, yet I see none of the really fast guys using it.

Last weekend I tried a completely different setup and it was fast, really fast in the corners. I initially tried it with the standard 43t gear, but found I was very inconsistent without it. The track was loose and in all honesty, even if I didn't feel like I relied on the OD gear it would have been useful on this track.
While I was inconsistent, the setup felt great. The harder I pushed it the better it responded, but it would get away from me a lot. So I went back to my trusty 41t gear. I was then able to throw down some laps without screwing up, but sacrificing some corner speed. There was other Xrays out there doing fine without the OD gear though so it got me thinking.

I tried driving my friends Serpent and after 2 laps I found myself thinking he needed to OD the front, then realized that I just suck without it, therefore it's a crutch.

So I'm removing the OD gear in all 3 of my cars that I have it installed in, haven't put it on the 2011 yet, and make myself learn how to control the car without it. The 41t gear will go back in the box with the intent of being used as a tuning tool rather than depending on it. I'm at the point where I think this could be holding back my progression, I'm just getting where I can break into the top 10 in the open/expert classes at the big races. I'm making a big push to get into the top 5. Practicing 2 days a week, reading, taking tips, working on setups more, and learning the cars better.

What do you guys think? How many of you use the 41t gear as a tuning tool and how many of you are relying on it like I do. I've gotten to the point where it never comes out.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311

I ask this because I feel like I've come to rely on it and I think others have too, yet I see none of the really fast guys using it.

Last weekend I tried a completely different setup and it was fast, really fast in the corners. I initially tried it with the standard 43t gear, but found I was very inconsistent without it. The track was loose and in all honesty, even if I didn't feel like I relied on the OD gear it would have been useful on this track.
While I was inconsistent, the setup felt great. The harder I pushed it the better it responded, but it would get away from me a lot. So I went back to my trusty 41t gear. I was then able to throw down some laps without screwing up, but sacrificing some corner speed. There was other Xrays out there doing fine without the OD gear though so it got me thinking.

I tried driving my friends Serpent and after 2 laps I found myself thinking he needed to OD the front, then realized that I just suck without it, therefore it's a crutch.

So I'm removing the OD gear in all 3 of my cars that I have it installed in, haven't put it on the 2011 yet, and make myself learn how to control the car without it. The 41t gear will go back in the box with the intent of being used as a tuning tool rather than depending on it. I'm at the point where I think this could be holding back my progression, I'm just getting where I can break into the top 10 in the open/expert classes at the big races. I'm making a big push to get into the top 5. Practicing 2 days a week, reading, taking tips, working on setups more, and learning the cars better.

What do you guys think? How many of you use the 41t gear as a tuning tool and how many of you are relying on it like I do. I've gotten to the point where it never comes out.
If you drive better with the OD then use it. I don't believe that would be a crutch as much as a setup tool. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have had the OD in before and actually think it makes the car harder to drive since it changes the way the car enters and exits corners. I only think I would put if back in if I were in super loamy conditions. Run what feels comfortable.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shane, The OD shouldn't be a crutch but if you're faster with it and feel more comfortable with it then run it. It's just another tunning option.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We have been wanting to try one this year, just waiting on them to come in at RCAmerica. I know some guys are using different gearing all around too.

Shane I wouldn't change a thing if it is working for you.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

i ran the overdrive and i think its good on a loose surface,no worrying about the tail coming round out of control,if it does you just gas it and it pulls thru.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

The true worth of any setup change or hopup part should be what the stopwatch says, not necessarily how "good" it feels. Although if a certain change causes you to crash every other lap, then that is worth something.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default 2008 to 2011

Hi all,
I have one of the original 808's released late 08, i have some of the 09 spec parts but what parts do I need to get it to 2011 spec?

Thanks in advance

Ant
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome
Old 06-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

How bumpy was the track you were using the OD on?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

tried it on a couple of tracks.

one was worn grass that had basically turned itself into a dust track,car felt much more planted at high speed and had more of a handbrake effect into some corners.

one was wet astro and car felt very good,easy to drive with lots of stability.

the other was quite rutted hard packed dirt but felt like driving on rock hard stone,a real tyre chewer,not sure on this track as the didn't feel right on the shock setup.

i would say give it a try if you haven't,nothing to lose and if it it doesn't suit you then well,at least its one thing put to rest.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AusAnt
Hi all,
I have one of the original 808's released late 08, i have some of the 09 spec parts but what parts do I need to get it to 2011 spec?

Thanks in advance

Ant
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...rsion-kit.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.