New XRAY 808

Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pickle311
I'm about to put my electronics in and I'm trying to decide what servos to use. Do I want to sacrifce speed for torque? I typically use 7955 servos for steering, but that much torque isn't needed for buggy. I'm thinking about throwing my Savox 1258 servo in for steering.
I have a Hitec 5965 that I'm going to use for throttle/brake. I know someone will ask, I'm using the hyperion Life RX battery.
I have used ACE 1015 servo's for steering the last 3 years or so in my 808's.
They will give 14.5kg at .108 sec through 60 deg on 6v, so with your constant 6.6v LiFe they work extremly well.
They are faster than a lot of the more "hi tech" 6v servo's out there, plus you can get replacement gear sets for them which is a bonus.
In 3 years they have never missed a beat for me (I run a 1015 for throttle brake as well).
You can go for the 1013 for throttle, but with the newer battery technology now, running 2 x 1015's for an hour is a breeze, so you may as well have the faster response of the 1015.

I should mention I have retired the Aces temporarily while I try a 7.4 v Lipo system on 2 x Savox Hi Voltage servos - which is working extremely well.
The 2200 mah Lipo's fit into the battery box easier than most LiFe's on the market. 30 min running uses about 25% of the capacity of the 2200 battery.
The Hi Voltage Savox's give around 26 kg at .11 sec, so overkill for a buggy, but the steering is so direct with the extra torque. I do like it, so the Aces might be going into back up buggy mode soon. I figure after 3 years they have earned a rest while I catch up with the modern technology.

Last edited by grizz1; 06-15-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We use Ace 1015's too.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ok guys lets hear what you think of this shock end setup.

I went back to the old style shock ends(08 spec) but keep the rubber boots on,I put the old felt shims inside the boots at the bottom were it use to hook to the shock ends to keep the dirt out and to act as a stop so the shocks dont bottom out.When I compress the shocks the boots comes right back down with the shafts.
The shocks feel alot better just working them by hand and I hope it works out on the track.I will give feedback next time I hit the track.

My old setup was the 09 setup but I put the old felt shims insine the boots up by the shock body to act as a stop so it wouldnt bottom the shock out.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How are you guys mounting the graphite mud scrapers on the 2011? If not using them is there a better option?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jonw
Congrats to 13yr old Xray/RCAmerica team driver Cade Whitenton on his solid run at Round 7 of the National RC Pro Series in Scott Lousianna this past weeknd at Finishline Raceway. Cade qualified 3rd in Open Buggy and finished 3rd after the 30 minute main. We had a little bad luck in our first qualifier with clutch issues, so our remaining 3 qualifiers were very important. Some back luck hit us in the main with a front left tire coming unglued while leading and breaking away from from the pack. Made a NASCAR style tire change and managed to to fight back to 3rd at the end of he main, finishing on the same lap as the 2nd place driver.

The crew at Finishline built a great layout and it became a challenge at the end. We made a shock change Friday during practice that proved to be very solid all weekend. The 808 was solid all weekend. We recieved numerous complements on how good the car looked and were able to help other Xray owners that were there. That is a humblig feeling when people are coming to us for help.

Cade also was TQ in Open Truggy but some more bad luck hit us in the main so we weren't able to finish. The XT8 was solid up to that point too.

I would to thank Xray and RC America for supporting us and giving us the opprtunity to represent them this year. Thanks to all the Xray team drivers that give us input and help, it realiy helps. Shane, Dennis, Jeff, Denver, Phiilip and Thomas thanks. Lastly a huge thanks to Jason Branham and Roger Ayres, you guys know what you do.

Great Job son and keep working hard!

Dad
Great job this weekend guys. You two represent well. Just keep smok'in the competition Cade.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jonw
Congrats to 13yr old Xray/RCAmerica team driver Cade Whitenton on his solid run at Round 7 of the National RC Pro Series in Scott Lousianna this past weeknd at Finishline Raceway. Cade qualified 3rd in Open Buggy and finished 3rd after the 30 minute main. We had a little bad luck in our first qualifier with clutch issues, so our remaining 3 qualifiers were very important. Some back luck hit us in the main with a front left tire coming unglued while leading and breaking away from from the pack. Made a NASCAR style tire change and managed to to fight back to 3rd at the end of he main, finishing on the same lap as the 2nd place driver.

The crew at Finishline built a great layout and it became a challenge at the end. We made a shock change Friday during practice that proved to be very solid all weekend. The 808 was solid all weekend. We recieved numerous complements on how good the car looked and were able to help other Xray owners that were there. That is a humblig feeling when people are coming to us for help.

Cade also was TQ in Open Truggy but some more bad luck hit us in the main so we weren't able to finish. The XT8 was solid up to that point too.

I would to thank Xray and RC America for supporting us and giving us the opprtunity to represent them this year. Thanks to all the Xray team drivers that give us input and help, it realiy helps. Shane, Dennis, Jeff, Denver, Phiilip and Thomas thanks. Lastly a huge thanks to Jason Branham and Roger Ayres, you guys know what you do.

Great Job son and keep working hard!

Dad

Great job Mr. Young Gun!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

a very very good result for such young thumbs
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks guys!

Thanks guys! It helps that I have the best car on the market!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cade
Thanks guys! It helps that I have the best car on the market!
how about some shock set-ups? Keep the rear from bouncing? Almost like I'm over sprung. I am using blue grey springs with 1.4 40wt losi for rear. with 1.5 losi 45 frt. rebound 25% all around.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Setup

Originally Posted by bigmatt
how about some shock set-ups? Keep the rear from bouncing? Almost like I'm over sprung. I am using blue grey springs with 1.4 40wt losi for rear. with 1.5 losi 45 frt. rebound 25% all around.
In shocks im running- FRONT- 500, with blue grey springs, and 1.3 x 6 hole pistons. REAR- 425, with front silver springs, and 1.3 x 6 hole pistons. 50% rebound all the way around. And in the diffs im running 10 front, 7 center, 5 rear.

Hope this helps and you like it!

Cade
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

In shocks im running- FRONT- 500, with blue grey springs, and 1.3 x 6 hole pistons. REAR- 425, with front silver springs, and 1.3 x 6 hole pistons. 50% rebound all the way around. And in the diffs im running 10 front, 7 center, 5 rear.

Hope this helps and you like it!

Cade
Thanks for the update Cade. What shock locations? Primarily interested in the rear.

It seems to me that running the front springs on the rear of the car works best when using the inner locations on the arms although I normally run the outer locations on the arms which is why I am asking.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rfleck
Thanks for the update Cade. What shock locations? Primarily interested in the rear.

It seems to me that running the front springs on the rear of the car works best when using the inner locations on the arms although I normally run the outer locations on the arms which is why I am asking.
In the rear, the location on the tower is the lower middle post, on the arm is the inner hole. In the front is the top middle location on the tower and inner hole on the arm.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

In the rear, the location on the tower is the lower middle post, on the arm is the inner hole. In the front is the top middle location on the tower and inner hole on the arm.
Thanks, that is where I thought you probably were.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

thank you for the reply. I am going to try the 1.3's all around,seems some one else was using that set-up.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

yes i used that last week.1.3f with losi 35wt silver springs and 1.3r losi 32.5 silvers and car was great but kicked back a little over ruts,will have to try the lower hole on the tower then and see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.