Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
yes, im not sure if the R comes with them, but the new mugen (i think S5) clear diff o-rings fixed that, mine havent leaked a drop sense i put those in when i first got the buggy. even before, they barely leaked. thats a really old thread.
thanks jmaxey, im having this urge to use the "naughty" card when the MBX6R drops here for some reason now too, maybe it's the x-mas itch im loving my xray, dont get me wrong, but id ike to see what the fuss is about regarding the 6 i guess. I like a car that has alot of steering so that i can dail some out if need be, it's easier than the other way around also, the 2011 808 shocks are WAY better than previous versions but i heard from the aliens at the track that a mugen will handle those big landings better? I think i have learnt how to live with the edgyness of my xray, and im quite happy with the setup i have on it now 9thanks to grizz in the xray forum) and it likes to be driven smoothly, so in that regard it really has taught me how to do that, im hoping the mugen will be a bit more forgiving when my fat trigger finger gets naughty Our tracks arent exactly smooth here in South Africa, a good mix of your american style ones and some technical euro style ones, well atleast the ones i go to, but they are VERY rough in some places, specially the second track which is mainly gravel/grass. the xray seems to get very nervous when it gets stupid bumpy and then my laptimes/position drop...when the tracks is still nice and prepped it goes like a rocket, it just hugs the floor and goes like stink. im hoping i can use both cars ext sean depending on which track to feel which one i like more and lets me push it harder without getting all sloppy
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
thanks jmaxey, im having this urge to use the "naughty" card when the MBX6R drops here for some reason now too, maybe it's the x-mas itch im loving my xray, dont get me wrong, but id ike to see what the fuss is about regarding the 6 i guess. I like a car that has alot of steering so that i can dail some out if need be, it's easier than the other way around also, the 2011 808 shocks are WAY better than previous versions but i heard from the aliens at the track that a mugen will handle those big landings better? I think i have learnt how to live with the edgyness of my xray, and im quite happy with the setup i have on it now 9thanks to grizz in the xray forum) and it likes to be driven smoothly, so in that regard it really has taught me how to do that, im hoping the mugen will be a bit more forgiving when my fat trigger finger gets naughty Our tracks arent exactly smooth here in South Africa, a good mix of your american style ones and some technical euro style ones, well atleast the ones i go to, but they are VERY rough in some places, specially the second track which is mainly gravel/grass. the xray seems to get very nervous when it gets stupid bumpy and then my laptimes/position drop...when the tracks is still nice and prepped it goes like a rocket, it just hugs the floor and goes like stink. im hoping i can use both cars ext sean depending on which track to feel which one i like more and lets me push it harder without getting all sloppy
As you can tell by my name i had a xray for a short time. I don't like how presurved you have to drive. The mugen is much more agressive and can be drivin alot harder if wanted to. Also the quality seems to stand right there, xray i see after they wear once temps drop to winter they turn frail. Most xray guys here which has dwendled quickly lately run either kyosho, ae, or mugen shocks because the xray shocks just can't handle amarican tracks. Also the mugen has more tune able items now over xray with chassis and springs. The xray is a great car but i prefer the mugen. Iv'e drivin 1 09 spec, and 3 guys 11 specs. There was only one time i felt empressed with the 11 spec. Its really just driving style and the xray dont suit me i know that.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
As you can tell by my name i had a xray for a short time. I don't like how presurved you have to drive. The mugen is much more agressive and can be drivin alot harder if wanted to. Also the quality seems to stand right there, xray i see after they wear once temps drop to winter they turn frail. Most xray guys here which has dwendled quickly lately run either kyosho, ae, or mugen shocks because the xray shocks just can't handle amarican tracks. Also the mugen has more tune able items now over xray with chassis and springs. The xray is a great car but i prefer the mugen. Iv'e drivin 1 09 spec, and 3 guys 11 specs. There was only one time i felt empressed with the 11 spec. Its really just driving style and the xray dont suit me i know that.

yea i've noticed that at most tracks here, other than my local one, im the ONLY guy runnig an xray. At the grassy track i tend to be one of the faster guys but then again the competition isnt that stiff there. Also the track suits my xray better being euro styled with smaller jumps and more open. those guys race Losi, Agama and Haboa cars usually. The the track i race at most, people run alot of JQ cars as the owner is the local distributer for them...i think they are junk hower, the top guys there race mugens, but they are the national champs and therfor the aliens We mere mortals cannot compare to them most of the time. There, i am one of 3 guys running the xray car. The rest of the field includes durangos losi and agama's. Most of the time im the sole xray there too, depending if the other xray peeps pitch or not..and i tend to run a lonely 5th place in the amain lol. the guys in front of me are just too fast....Mugens/skillz The track is also a real car breaker, a proper way to get your car looking secondhand in a 5min quali so thats also why im worried about durability. My best finish to date was a 3rd place in the amain, only because my xray outlasted everthing ...how do they say?...to finish first....
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
The Mugen mbx6 doesn't need any hop up to make it tuneable or competitive.
You can change the kickup/caster/wheelbase with the stock parts. That's the great thing about Mugen. You buy a car and no hop up is needed!

I drive with the plastic servo saver and I have broken 1 on my E buggy but that was with a tool and not while driving it.
The alu front upper brace is a nice hop up but it's included with the 6r now (same counts for the rear lower hingepin holder)

I you want easy diffs access with the stock parts, then mod them like I did. My friends have done it too after I did and they are very happy with it.

Here are some pictures of the mod: https://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com...hinge-pin-mod/
That mod isn't needed if you put them on correct
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RockStar_199
That mod isn't needed if you put them on correct
Yes, but you have to remove the whole pin to acces the diffs. And to remove the pins, you have to remove the front and rear end.
I can change my rear toe in less than 2 minutes and the diffs in less than 5minutes with this little mod.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
The Mugen mbx6 doesn't need any hop up to make it tuneable or competitive.
You can change the kickup/caster/wheelbase with the stock parts. That's the great thing about Mugen. You buy a car and no hop up is needed!

I drive with the plastic servo saver and I have broken 1 on my E buggy but that was with a tool and not while driving it.
The alu front upper brace is a nice hop up but it's included with the 6r now (same counts for the rear lower hingepin holder)

I you want easy diffs access with the stock parts, then mod them like I did. My friends have done it too after I did and they are very happy with it.

Here are some pictures of the mod: https://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com...hinge-pin-mod/
THis is agreat idea! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadRussian
I dont know of any disadvantages except for having to buy it, lol.
The advantages are: (from M2C's site)

It makes working on it a LOT quicker and you don't have to deal with the nuts each time you get to your diff. I have one on mine and the rear version as well. Great products, and make working on it even easier
The anti dive has been great to me. The rear one has been a absolute headache. No matter what I do, dirt ends up in my bulkhead. I grinded it til I knew without a doubt that it was sealing. Nope. I then got Mitch to give a another one, same thing, not to mention the toe always had a tweak to one side. I have tried many different bulkheads, chassis, arms etc. when I put the stock one back on, it's perfect as can be. About to get the mugen plate instead.

In the front no problem whatsoever, and I have many of his products and not a single problem over the years. Maybe it's a freak instance or something.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

A couple of questions....

First, I am considering going with an alternative clutch system, I do not like working on them and some of the other ones, like the Werks, look like it would be much easier to tune and swap to other engines. Are there any opinions as to which one if any I should go with???

Second, I have been searching and I can't find exactly what doing the clunk mod does? Does it help with the air bubbles (I did the lid mod already) as well or is it for something else???

Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

ok cool, thnks for the help guys

I am also tinkering with the idea of getting one of those new .19 Speeds for the mbx6R or am i being silly? i think i MIGHT benifit from it as i have a fat finger, but im still not sure...and im not getting that much response in the O.S .19 engine thread either. is anyone on here running a 19 speed in their mbx6? what are your findings? can you please give me some advice? we mostly race on technical tracks, no real wide open stuff. i currenly race a VZB vspec and i have the O.S 2060 and a efra 2053 pipe in my box. on my xray i found going down one tooth on the clutch bell was perfect for my local tracks also. im guessing the stock 13T bell on the mugen is the lowest you can go on these?

a lot of questions

thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Diff Balls

First, I am considering going with an alternative clutch system, I do not like working on them and some of the other ones, like the Werks, look like it would be much easier to tune and swap to other engines. Are there any opinions as to which one if any I should go with???

Second, I have been searching and I can't find exactly what doing the clunk mod does? Does it help with the air bubbles (I did the lid mod already) as well or is it for something else???

Thanks
M2c quick change adjustable clutch setup and the clunk tank is great... My tune has been more consistent since I did the clunk mod...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
ok cool, thnks for the help guys

I am also tinkering with the idea of getting one of those new .19 Speeds for the mbx6R or am i being silly? i think i MIGHT benifit from it as i have a fat finger, but im still not sure...and im not getting that much response in the O.S .19 engine thread either. is anyone on here running a 19 speed in their mbx6? what are your findings? can you please give me some advice? we mostly race on technical tracks, no real wide open stuff. i currenly race a VZB vspec and i have the O.S 2060 and a efra 2053 pipe in my box. on my xray i found going down one tooth on the clutch bell was perfect for my local tracks also. im guessing the stock 13T bell on the mugen is the lowest you can go on these?

a lot of questions

thanks!
I have never ran the .19 speed but I know for sure it would great on a tight small track with small jumps..... You will definitely be able to take advantage of the run time and you won't have to worry about not having enough grunt to get around the track....
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Diff Balls

Thanks
i recently switched over from a normal 3 shoe setup to the accendancy/werks 4 shoe systems on my xray. ill probably never go back to the 3 shoe setups again the shoes and springs are almsot TOO easy to swop and change around, all achievable without any screwdrivers, fiddly maneuvers, bloody finger nails etc the only thing, and that is because i dont have a clutch tool for a 4 shoe flywheel atm, is tightening the clutch nut again...but i just do in like i used to before a had a tool for my 3 shoe setup....grab the flywheel with a monkey wrench through some cloth, and tighten like usual you get tools for them too though. but yes, clutch setup, trying different things has never been easier for me.....ascendancy didnt lie when they decided to call thier version the "effortless 4 shoe clutch system''

hope this helps
Old 12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Teccmoney
I have never ran the .19 speed but I know for sure it would great on a tight small track with small jumps..... You will definitely be able to take advantage of the run time and you won't have to worry about not having enough grunt to get around the track....
thanks Teccmoney. I guess this is why im still n the air about this one, the tracks are technical, hardly ever at WOT except on the back straight where we have to clear quite a big double, but it has alot of runup though....sortoff makes it even more scary lol, since you never really know just how fast to hit it depending if you get turn one right or not what im getting at is, yes the tracks are technical, but they have jumps, only the one silly one, but a few other small double/tripple rhythm sections etc that require some punch out of corners. it is sortoff a point-and-squirt track. with my vspec it isnt hard to get enough speed to clear them correctly but i cant relly tell if could get over them with less power..as i cant really see if im spinning up the wheels etc. sure i know the 19 is going to be down on power down low, i guess im just considering the fact that maybe, just maybe it wouldnt be that noticeable if it delivers the power to the floor better and still clears the rhythm sections just fine? my cousin has a normal 21 Speed and i really think it almost has too much power , if there is such a thing

EDIT: here are some pics of it...the first one was the old layout before the silly jump in the back, oh and it had a long uninterrupted main straight. hardpacked, rutted out and dusty when the temps get up there. the second pic is what it looks like now, maybe a new steeper double/tripple here or there. it looks longer in the pic than it actually is, the perspective distorts it obviously. it's a 50sec lap for me....46-48 for the aliens lol

Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 12-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

I would run a .21 on that track for sure..... If you got the extra cash try the .19 just for giggles...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Teccmoney
I would run a .21 on that track for sure..... If you got the extra cash try the .19 just for giggles...
thanks, i guess that settles it then now i need to see where i can get hold off one of those new ninjas, the B02 right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.