Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by revracer222
where can you buy the VRX stuff at?
VXR have an online store now, just click on the "purchase online - online store " tab at the top right of screen
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
Crap pics too big to upload.

My outdrive broke where the pin goes through. I wish mugen would use the standard(bigger) out drive shaft.

damn..............i broke a rear one too this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

ITS YOUR FAULT, YOU CANT DRIVE. Just Kidding

Get ready to hear from people that have entire 55 gallon drums of fuel through their car and it has never happened to them.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

I have never broken any of those pins for the past 2 years running any of my mugens, new and old. If you don't apply the proper greese, and leave it bone dry, you will have problems.

I personally think mugen diffs are damn near indestructable.

I also run nothing but HT regulator and batteries for my X6
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

I forgot to add, but you also want to keep slop down to minimal.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse
I have never broken any of those pins for the past 2 years running any of my mugens, new and old. If you don't apply the proper greese, and leave it bone dry, you will have problems.

Theres been pics of Mugen diffs that had the side gears melt through the diff case and spilled over the middle of the car from diff pin drives breaking.

I personally have a center diff 48T spur that had a locked out outdrive in it from a MBX5T I got used. I was able to repair it, but its known to happen when I presented it to a LHS.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

With improper maint practices, or simple neglect, anything can happen with ANY kit, not just the mugen. I have driven all different types of brands, i could have brought anything out on the market as of today, and i can still sell this buggy and buy something different if felt there was a significant problem.

Honestly, Mugen has awesome diffs,. can they break? sure, but to state a blanket statement about a certain kit without alleviating any doubt it was user error is not something to blame on the manufacturer.

There were plenty times in the past to where i was quick to blame anything and everything but myself lol Im glad i went through such trial and error, cause now when i feel something isnt right, 90% of the time its something i did...

If you do not apply belray greese to the outdrives (water proof greese) heat will build up and can cause your outdrive to seize in the spur or conical gear. some manufacturers increase their tolerances and some dont, but i have noticed when i applied this maintenance practice on all diffs, not just mugen diffs, they tend to last allot longer.

you also want to apply some greese between your bevel gear and conical gear on both front and rear.

some actually use the incorrect greese and cause their O-rings to swell, or some dont apply any greese and they wonder why their outdrives are seizing up, or drive pins are snapping, or why their gears are stripping.

this is considered common maintenance practices...but some think if it isnt in the manual, then they dont need to do it. Try thinking back 10 years ago, where the manuals didnt explain much of anything...

Last edited by Jesse; 11-10-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

I also noticed the very same people complaining about the pins snapping, they had a huge amount of play in their outdrives or drivetrain...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Wow took longer than I thought.

I use Lucas Red Synthetic grease. I apply it on the shaft of the out drive, hole in the diff case, o-ring and behind the sun gear.

I have built my diffs this way in 3 Kyosho's, 3 Losi's, 2 Jammins, 1 Xray, 1 Hotbodies, 1 RC8 and 2 Mugens.

The only car I have ever broken a pin or an outdrive in have been the Mugens. Its no big deal. Almost all the cars listed above had some kind of issue. Relax it doesnt mean your car is crap, its just not perfect.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Whats up Al......I heard Rod's car looked good.Mine is almost done and ready to go.I would like to see his setup and see how it differs from the way I built mine.LMK or call me!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by infanterene
Wow took longer than I thought.

I use Lucas Red Synthetic grease. I apply it on the shaft of the out drive, hole in the diff case, o-ring and behind the sun gear.

I have built my diffs this way in 3 Kyosho's, 3 Losi's, 2 Jammins, 1 Xray, 1 Hotbodies, 1 RC8 and 2 Mugens.

The only car I have ever broken a pin or an outdrive in have been the Mugens. Its no big deal. Almost all the cars listed above had some kind of issue. Relax it doesnt mean your car is crap, its just not perfect.
then check your slop.

Trust me, i have no problems at all saying its junk if it is junk LOL I have both Kyosho and Mugen, none of which matter to me if they do have a problem. I just find it weird for people to be having such problems when this has yet to happen to me. Maybe i have the best luck in the world of RC lol who knows...

Im just trying to hand out suggestions on what i am doing so it doesnt happen to you. Maybe there is no hope..who knows. good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

I also bet if i told you i ran that Novak regulator you just called junk for an entire year you would think im blowing smoke or it just isnt true...

either way its irrelevant, hope you guys figure it out honestly. Im still breaking and learning, some of the things to enjoy dealing with RC! fun times.

Last edited by Jesse; 11-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

no slop as my car only has 2 nights on it. These cars take alot of abuse. They go something like 320mph in scale, it's a wonder they don't break more often.

In all fairness with the regulator at that time I used to run 3-4 days a week, sometimes from 6pm to 3am. So hey got alot of use in a short time. 3 of those months was more use than most peoples years.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

i run about 2 to 3 gallons per month..depending on weather.

I guess you have bad luck then...i know of 4 other people that run with me on a constant basis who has yet to have pin problems as well and run more often than what i do.

Now if you mentioned the excessive chassis flex or the upper arm pins being too short, i may agree with you there...but diff pins, i wish i had other advice i could give you cause thats all i do and i dont break them.

Now to think about the chassis flexing as much as it does, it might be a good thing rather a bad thing, so that may not be an issue as well lol

I guess its cool to know im one of the few not breaking...thank god and about time! LOL
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jesse

I've seen this pin thing happen inthe Mugens more than once, its just a part that needs updating, they will fix it eventually. No biggy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.