Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
man every brand has a problem even losi there not perfect i can tell you that they flex a lot.

the fuel tank issue from what ive seen and heard is fixed and you can use a jammin tank from what i heard anyways.

the only way i see breaking a rear hub is if you land wrong or hard .
Let's not turn this into a Losi vs. Associated thread, both trucks have great traits, as well as weaknesses that need to be managed.

- Associated tanks can be fixed with a $7 hotbodies tank
- Alum rear hubs are available on ebay for $25 if you want em', I really don't think they are necessary
- The rear turnbuckles bending can easily be swapped with other turnbuckles

So for about $40 you're pretty bulletproof..... on my losi I had at least triple that in durability hop-ups, let's see what I can remember....

- alum rear gearbox inserts
- j-dub's modded or aluminum rear hubs to fit a larger 8x16 bearing
- 2mm extended front hubs so you don't crack non-losi wheels (such as AKA's)
- kings headz extended engine mount so you don't blow clutch bearings in qualifiers due to flex
- aluminum servo saver top

Both are viable trucks...it's just preference
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by aray
Let's not turn this into a Losi vs. Associated thread, both trucks have great traits, as well as weaknesses that need to be managed.

- Associated tanks can be fixed with a $7 hotbodies tank
- Alum rear hubs are available on ebay for $25 if you want em', I really don't think they are necessary
- The rear turnbuckles bending can easily be swapped with other turnbuckles

So for about $40 you're pretty bulletproof..... on my losi I had at least triple that in durability hop-ups, let's see what I can remember....

- alum rear gearbox inserts
- j-dub's modded or aluminum rear hubs to fit a larger 8x16 bearing
- 2mm extended front hubs so you don't crack non-losi wheels (such as AKA's)
- kings headz extended engine mount so you don't blow clutch bearings in qualifiers due to flex
- aluminum servo saver top

Both are viable trucks...it's just preference

alright so if the turnbukles do bend on the rc8t what other turnbukles do you use off of other truggys ?

associated fixed the leak problem in their tanks dint they ?

yea on my eight-t i had to get pretty much the same thing accept the alum gearbox inserts and the alum hubs or the j-dub hubs.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the stock turnbucles are strong if u do break one replace it with another stock one . i ve ran a few gallons thru mine havint broken a turnbuckle, if u want even stronger ones you can upgrade to ft ones.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
Did you notice the RC8t come with plastic rear hubs that need to be swapped out for alm. And the stock ones break way easy. As for flex the turn buckle extention plastic peices are prone to flexing alot aqnd need replacement often. along with the upper front arm. and faulty tanks.
Your full of it man. The tank issue was a 2 year ago issue.. there is no issue with the rear hubs either. I have no idea where your dreaming this up. Im on my 2nd rc8t and I've never seen anything close to what your saying besides the top arms get bowed back from flex but its really a none issue for the truck....if your tearing a rc8 or rc8t up then your beating the crao out of it. Not your normal raceday crashes..
Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't worry about the plastic bending on the rear camber ends. I was worried about them when I first started running the vehicle. I spoke with a top Associated driver here in TX and he said leave them bent. They would not change camber. If it is good enough for super fast guy, it's good enough for me.

As far as the rear hubs, replace with aluminum. They go cheap on ebay and they work flawlessly. All top drivers run aluminum rear hubs, regardless of vehicle brand. It just a safety precaution. No one is guaranteed smooth landings.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jaywax
Don't worry about the plastic bending on the rear camber ends. I was worried about them when I first started running the vehicle. I spoke with a top Associated driver here in TX and he said leave them bent. They would not change camber. If it is good enough for super fast guy, it's good enough for me.

As far as the rear hubs, replace with aluminum. They go cheap on ebay and they work flawlessly. All top drivers run aluminum rear hubs, regardless of vehicle brand. It just a safety precaution. No one is guaranteed smooth landings.

yea, at least the bearings will last longer with the alum hubs espially on a truggy on my eight-t the rear inner bearings keep on going bad on me with plastic rear hubs.

ive, had associated before a onroad tc5 and a gt2 and the quality is good !
so i know the rc8t champ ed will be the same also and thats why i will be getting soon .

the only other question i have is the rc8t senstive to adjustments and setups like little adjustments like ride height etc.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

These will work fine and last the life of vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Rc8-Rc8...item19c19b878d
Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaywax
lol...I always figured this but this is cool to hear confirmed.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea, at least the bearings will last longer with the alum hubs espially on a truggy on my eight-t the rear inner bearings keep on going bad on me with plastic rear hubs.

ive, had associated before a onroad tc5 and a gt2 and the quality is good !
so i know the rc8t champ ed will be the same also and thats why i will be getting soon .

the only other question i have is the rc8t senstive to adjustments and setups like little adjustments like ride height etc.
Yes the truck will respond to any adjustment. I've been at the track and buzzed in for like a turn or two at most on the shock coller and was like oops that's a little to much not expecting a big change. At least for me. Im not the fastest by far...but I can feel pretty much anything I change. That's what I was saying in my other post. To me its sensative to change like touring used to be for me. That's what I don't get by people saying it rotates to much or turns to fast. Its very easy to settle down if your not ready for it. The truck does whatever I want.. sometimes my brain can't keep up cause I wasent really expecting to react like I wanted it to. Lol. But track time will fix that for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by BigAlz
Yes the truck will respond to any adjustment. I've been at the track and buzzed in for like a turn or two at most on the shock coller and was like oops that's a little to much not expecting a big change. At least for me. Im not the fastest by far...but I can feel pretty much anything I change. That's what I was saying in my other post. To me its sensative to change like touring used to be for me. That's what I don't get by people saying it rotates to much or turns to fast. Its very easy to settle down if your not ready for it. The truck does whatever I want.. sometimes my brain can't keep up cause I wasent really expecting to react like I wanted it to. Lol. But track time will fix that for me.

yea, im not the fastest driver ethier i just race in a sportsman truggy class during the outdoor season but i can tell when i make changes .

with, the losi the only sensative adjustment is the ride height but it can be fixed easy i like.. a lot of rotation but not to much where it catches me off guard now for turning to fast i raced onroad racing i like it and than i dont but i can be fixed not to do that.

i like the fact on the rc8t you can really feel the changes you make.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wink RC8T upgrades

Hi,

recently I purshase a second hand RC8T, it's a RTR with upgraded servos and engine.

Please let me know what to do, or what I need to change on my truggy to go Racing!.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Don't really need to change anything. Get some nice tires and go through the diff and shock fluid settings and put a nice set up on it and go. If you MUST upgrade something , the only obvious thing I see that might be a weak link is all the turn buckles, but they might be fine too. I personally would race it as is and upgrade as needed
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks!
What setup do you recommend me for this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntJRI3uJ4AE

Actually is hard packed with low grip surface. I'll try AKA I-CityBlocks, what to you think about these tires?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Man im not sure. I run the standard rc8t ce kit set up with a little extra toe out and the old style steering rack.. haven't changed much from there. Oh and 7-7-3 in the diffs. But im about to change all that up
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigAlz
Man im not sure. I run the standard rc8t ce kit set up with a little extra toe out and the old style steering rack.. haven't changed much from there. Oh and 7-7-3 in the diffs. But im about to change all that up
Thanks, it's a good point to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.