Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

I just bought a Ace DS1313 and a DS1015 to replace my rockcrushers.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I spent about an hour going over my linkage last night and ended up doing what Hodge said... shortened the ball link to the throttle, and cut the spring a little. The servi horn sits straight at idle (no angle), with no binding in the whole movement of the servo. Ive now only got maybe 1/4" throw for the brakes before they lock up... so we'll see.. the servo doesnt make the same 'binding' sound anymore, so hopefuly it stays in the car...
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone found a good replacement (Aftermarket) shock boot(s) for the 8IGHT. I've torn two sets now, and I'm looking for something thats more tear resentent...... Does another manufacture make one that works better? Or maybe LOSI makes a heavy duty one?

Thank you!

Last edited by Steve Walters; 11-26-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

I spent about an hour going over my linkage last night and ended up doing what Hodge said... shortened the ball link to the throttle, and cut the spring a little. The servo horn sits straight at idle (no angle), with no binding in the whole movement of the servo. Ive now only got maybe 1/4" throw for the brakes before they lock up... so we'll see.. the servo doesn't make the same 'binding' sound anymore, so hopefully it stays in the car...
FlyByWire, Thats what I did when to assembling my linkage. I would say I had to cut 3-4 links out of the spring. The horn sits parallel to the Servo. When I apply the brakes the spring compresses evenly without distorting or straining the servo.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-dsc00115.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JELLYRACER
ANYBODY RUNNING LI-PO RX PACK? I DONYT KNOW IF IT WILL BE RELIABLE.
I FLY PLANES WITH LI-PO AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM YET BUT I THINK THEY TAKE ALOT MORE ABUSE IN A BUGGY.
I've been running HT Batteries Lipo's for the last two years with great results! Just love them, light and long run times!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

DOES ANY ONY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SHOCK O-RINGS FOR THE 8 TODAY!.....I ORDERED SOME FROM TKO THEN THEY SENT ME AN EMAIL SAYING THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK! .....IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE IS!...AND I NEED SOME BY SATURDAY IF I'M GONNA RACE SINCE THE OIL IS DRIPPING OFF MY A-ARMS!
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
DOES ANY ONY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SHOCK O-RINGS FOR THE 8 TODAY!.....I ORDERED SOME FROM TKO THEN THEY SENT ME AN EMAIL SAYING THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK! .....IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE IS!...AND I NEED SOME BY SATURDAY IF I'M GONNA RACE SINCE THE OIL IS DRIPPING OFF MY A-ARMS!
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
call RC COMPOUND and talk to Todd, he has all spares. Tell him Richard Infanti sent ya and he'll hook you up 865-483-0484
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I replaced the OEM fuel line on the brake linkage with Kyosho linkage springs and then adjusted the EPA so there is minimal throw for brake engagement. This will most likely fix any servo issues. Another note on brake EPA adjustment...a lot of force is not needed to achieve good braking. I know its a preference thing, but take your time in setting your brake EPA so you can achieve just the right amount of braking.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pix of my 8ight

Here are some pix of my 8ight hope you like.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-rc-002.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-rc-003.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-rc-004.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-rc-005.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

I see that you have the new losi aluminum braces. How rigid is the car and how much did it affect the steering?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TC3MIKE
I see that you have the new losi aluminum braces. How rigid is the car and how much did it affect the steering?
I can still make the car flex with my hands it doesent seem to have stiffend it alot.as for the steering i cant tell any difference.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Cool, I might order a set later. thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
FlyByWire, Thats what I did when to assembling my linkage. I would say I had to cut 3-4 links out of the spring. The horn sits parallel to the Servo. When I apply the brakes the spring compresses evenly without distorting or straining the servo.
i think that you guys (and t hodge) have found the holy grail of fixes to the 8ight servo problem.

someone on tech talk asked adam about servo issues. here's what he had to say.......

http://techtalk.teamtrinity.com/tt/s...postcount=2704

they then told adam that they had fried yet another servo and asked what should they do about it.....

http://techtalk.teamtrinity.com/tt/s...postcount=2713

so.......it seems that the servo's are indeed being overstressed. what adam has said confirms what some of the rest of you guys have been saying all along. hope this fixes it once and for all.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

I don't know if this is the fix all for the few 8IGHT owners are having with the throttle servo, but I do know that all the 8Ight owners (In my area) who have done this haven't had any throttle servo issues. Also having a good quality servo(s) helps a lot too....

Here are three up close pictures of my throttle servo linkage. There is absolutely no servo strain (Nor Reciever tray or Chassis flex) from full throttle to full brake.

1st one is a rest (Neutral)
2nd one is at full throttle
3rd is at full brake. (Note the slight gap between the spring links)
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-pict1597.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-pict1596.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-pict1595.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Walters; 11-26-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

loydski29,

Sweet ride you have there. I have a friend that is running that Ninja in his 8IGHT and it hauls !@#. Very impressive motor in the Losi...

Good to hear about those aluminum braces not changing the chassis so much that it has an effect on the steering. Mine should be here tomorrow. FYI for 8IGHT owner looking at those braces. A lot of dealers are running out, and Losi is back ordered for 8 weeks. (Beginning of February.) If you want them you may not want to wait..

BTW B-main has a few left....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.