Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
ezveedub-will you be at the battle at the beach in march?
Not sure! I drive a lot, but thats a far drive in Florida! I haven't been to the pan handle since I picked up my S4 in Mobile, Alabama. I have 3 tracks to chose from here in SoFla. Miami, Mills Pond and Coral Springs. On road, Coral springs, Royal Palm Beach and Homestead.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

i hear yah, i mistaked ft. lauterdale for ft. walton. Me and 506 of my friends are making the trip from louisiana for the race. Its the same week as spring break for us and my b-da is that sunday
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Hey, It ain't spring break unless its SoFla baby!

Finally got it out of the box. Gonna go over it now. I guess it will drop the Axe Rossi X1 EVO Cobra in it.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-img_0728.jpg  

Last edited by ezveedub; 01-09-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
The keyed insert hole must be drilled out to make it round, if one wants, a dremel may do the trick.

I dremeled the hole to get rid of most of that flat spot to keep the drill bit from "walking" when I did this mod... but then drilled it with a 1/4" bit. I also "crimped" the bushings in place with vice-grips to keep them seated firmly... other than that, I did the mod the way satoch described it. Great idea!

BTW y'all need to listen to what Tex is telling you about this car, for several reasons...

1) He's scary fast with this car.

2) He knows what modifications and settings work

3) He's not your average joe off the street... he holds multiple patents for mechanical stuff in another hobby sector.

Brad
Old 01-10-2008, 04:01 PM

I think what Tex was trying to say was that he liked stock better because it was kind of more exponential in handling and steering. Kind of like in FL when its 100% sand you just kinda lean back pin it and enjoy the ride even though you are kind of loose and wander a good bit...
Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, I was checking a few pages here but didn't see much. Is the rear CVD shaft known for popping out of the center diff cup? My rear axle's drive pins are at the edge of the outdrive. Seems like when this gets worn, it may pop out. Thinking about installing a washer between the axeshaft and rear case diff pinion bearing to move it further into the diff outdrive.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-img_0736.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Hey guys, I was checking a few pages here but didn't see much. Is the rear CVD shaft known for popping out of the center diff cup? My rear axle's drive pins are at the edge of the outdrive. Seems like when this gets worn, it may pop out. Thinking about installing a washer between the axeshaft and rear case diff pinion bearing to move it further into the diff outdrive.
Nah it will be fine, both of mine look the same and have never had a problem with either of them.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default Yep.

Case a 25 footer at top speed and it will!!.....Happened to me twice WITH Kings Head braces. Although, it was a one of a kind retarded jump that launched you about 12-15 feet straight up and you either had to land in the flats or try to downside a small triple about 25 feet away.........it can happen.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

I just loosened the axle set screw and moved the CVD shaft forward. Wasn't much, but a bit better. I see me cutting the pinion notch more to get it to go in to a "good" position in the drive cup. Compared to my other cars, this looks odd. Mugen had front axles pop out depending on how wide the track is set to, so they made 3mm longer "option" front cvd shafts. Maybe this is something for Losi to revise.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

I just loosened the axle set screw and moved the CVD shaft forward. Wasn't much, but a bit better. I see me cutting the pinion notch more to get it to go in to a "good" position in the drive cup. Compared to my other cars, this looks odd. Mugen had front axles pop out depending on how wide the track is set to, so they made 3mm longer "option" front cvd shafts. Maybe this is something for Losi to revise.
Wouldn't moving it forward mean that the pinion gear could move back and forth, possibly grinding into the ring gear????
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BOOST
Wouldn't moving it forward mean that the pinion gear could move back and forth, possibly grinding into the ring gear????
Not if you put spacer in between the CVD and bearing. This would keep the pinion from moving.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Regular

Not if you put spacer in between the CVD and bearing. This would keep the pinion from moving.
Yep that will do it!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Here is what I did. If you want to know the details, LMK, as there is a .3mm Kyosho shim placed in between the washer and the bearing to prevent any issues with the washer rubbing the bearing races and damaging it.

As you can see, the CVD is now "plunged" further into the outdrive cup.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-img_0737.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-img_0738.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Tech Regular

Right on looks factory.....you should get some cvd condoms for them. They are great for keeping dirt out and set screws in!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Thinking about it. I might just heat shrink it for now. I got some areas to look over, like the battery tray area. I had a friend destroy his battery with that screw hump area. Its need more padding on top of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.