Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry chvy--"Losi 8IGHT building and setup"
Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Air8, Any luck at the race's? How did your buggy do?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Oke so I have a 8ight-T and so far its a absolute A+ car for me.
Now I want to compete in a buggy race also. Truggy will be my main goal but some buggy practice is never bad.
Now my Q. If I buy me a race roller 8ight. Put some hopups on it like I did on my 8ight-T. Can I just change the radio tray and drive the buggy or is there more to it.
I heare the buggy had some issues with the front drive shaft. Is this still the case or is there some hopup to prevent this.
thanks in advance.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

Has anybody tried the hub carriers from Trinity for the 8ight/8ight-T? I just got them and was unaware that they needed about 2mm of shims between the hub and outer bearing. Also the stock screws for the camber link are too long and the wrong thread. What am I missing here or did I waste $45.00?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
Now I want to compete in a buggy race also. Truggy will be my main goal but some buggy practice is never bad.
Now my Q. If I buy me a race roller 8ight. Put some hopups on it like I did on my 8ight-T. Can I just change the radio tray and drive the buggy or is there more to it.
I heare the buggy had some issues with the front drive shaft. Is this still the case or is there some hopup to prevent this.
thanks in advance.

mzl Hellsavage
The radio tray goes back and fourth no problem. As for the front drive shaft, i guess your refering to the pin's coming out. If you use some shrink wrap around the pin you should be fine. Just use locktite when inserting the set screw for a good setting.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Better yett...spend the 10$ or w/e it cost for the GMK CVD condoms....WAY better then plain old shrink wrap...and its a Nice Snug fit guareneed never to wiggle off.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 8ight seems to get sloppy in the front (steering components) pretty rapidly. Any suggestions to address this?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Yup! let er' eat. This happens to them and there is not anything really to do about it. The good thing is it doesn't seem to effect performance any. They run great like that.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Davidka
Yup! let er' eat. This happens to them and there is not anything really to do about it. The good thing is it doesn't seem to effect performance any. They run great like that.

I guess it depends just HOW MUCH slop. I just put an ackerman with new bushings and after about 60 minutes of run time it is pretty sloppy... like 5 degrees of slop in the steering! I'm gonna see if I can figure out a way to put bearings in where those little bushings go! Maybe I can find some flanged bushings that will fit the hole in the ackerman, and put a pair so the flanges sandwich the ackerman plate. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT

I guess it depends just HOW MUCH slop. I just put an ackerman with new bushings and after about 60 minutes of run time it is pretty sloppy... like 5 degrees of slop in the steering! I'm gonna see if I can figure out a way to put bearings in where those little bushings go! Maybe I can find some flanged bushings that will fit the hole in the ackerman, and put a pair so the flanges sandwich the ackerman plate. I'll see what I can come up with.
I already solved the ackerman slop problem.

1)Drill the ackerman holes to 1/4" and then press in sleeve bearings:
From McMaster-Carr: SAE 841 Bronze sleeve bearings p/n 6391K113
2)Then drill those out to 5/32"
3)Next insert new shoulder screws: McMaster-Carr: p/n 93985A524

Put a drop of after run oil on and you're done.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by satoch
I already solved the ackerman slop problem.

1)Drill the ackerman holes to 1/4" and then press in sleeve bearings:
From McMaster-Carr: SAE 841 Bronze sleeve bearings p/n 6391K113
2)Then drill those out to 5/32"
3)Next insert new shoulder screws: McMaster-Carr: p/n 93985A524

Put a drop of after run oil on and you're done.
Nice... I'll look into that. I'd prefer to use the bearings if I can find some close enough (in size) though... There MIGHT not be enough difference in diameter to run bearings is the potential problem I see.

I'm not sure I like the idea of pressed in bushings simply because the "average joe" like me probably can't get a close enough fit. It may work with heat/cold though. I'm a little afraid of the bushings coming loose... maybe I'm worrying too much.

Are you using special "close tolerance" drill bits? Anything special required?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Nice... I'll look into that. I'd prefer to use the bearings if I can find some close enough (in size) though... There MIGHT not be enough difference in diameter to run bearings is the potential problem I see.

I'm not sure I like the idea of pressed in bushings simply because the "average joe" like me probably can't get a close enough fit. It may work with heat/cold though. I'm a little afraid of the bushings coming loose... maybe I'm worrying too much.

Are you using special "close tolerance" drill bits? Anything special required?
You're right, you over think things too much. I used regular drill bits and "pressed" in the bearing sleeve with a brass hammer. They don't come out. I've got several gallons on mine.

Bearings won't work. It's already been tried by King Headz on the Jammin' ackerman. They fell apart and the fix was a bronze bushing like I've done here.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by satoch
You're right, you over think things too much. I used regular drill bits and "pressed" in the bearing sleeve with a brass hammer. They don't come out. I've got several gallons on mine.

Bearings won't work. It's already been tried by King Headz on the Jammin' ackerman. They fell apart and the fix was a bronze bushing like I've done here.
Great! Thank you VERY much, that's exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Yep I bought the integy alum. steering components, put in brass bushings or w/e on the ackerman and where the four other bearings go on the steering rack. Now I have no slop at all.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
thanks in advance.

mzl Hellsavage
the radio trays are the same but you'll have to reset the end pionts and trim settings from one vehicle to the other everytime you change it over

Adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.