Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trebor
Ok, so at that angle it really works without tension? I just never seen anybody do that yet. Maybe thats how its suppose to be done, I havent done it like that, anyone else?

Oh, and I noticed that you have 2 trays, 1CF and 1aluminum, Do you think it feels too stiff? Or is it feel the same?
Yes, In my opinion, this it what causes most of the servo problems, the angle of the dangle. If the stock servo horn was longer on the throttle end it would be fine. It also gets the linkage further away from the servo case so you don't have to hack on your servo for clearence Clarence..... most importantly you must have EPA set properly,and throttle return spring must be right length as stated so many times before.

The trays....maybe overkill...... But in my opinion, like my wife says, the stiffer the better. I like the Kings Headz extended motor mount, Xtreme Racing CF Radio Tray, Qoncepts.com Aluminum Center Diff mount, Aluminum front and rear center braces, I also put longer screws in the bottom of the radio tray. Just my opinion but I don't buy the whole (torsional flex thing in offroad), unless you race smooth high bite tracks. Here in Tennessee we have alot of goat pastures I have ran a lot of electric and nitro onroad where chasis flex is a good thing, but to me in offroad thats the job of the shocks......
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Dan did the same setup on my buggy using a longer servo horn. If you think about, since the carb has to be angle because of the center diff mount, you put less stress on the servo. You extend the servo horn to avoid putting stress on servo. With the stock horn, it is short and the servo has to travel and fight the angle of the carb which in the long run will wear out your servo. It makes sense to me and works great.

Thanks Dan for the help!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

do you have to trim the plastic on the servo tray for the ace servo to fit it ??this is for the throttle brake BTW
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

yes. you have to shave a little on both sides.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Reino
Here are my pics that show the good angles for the throttle horn and linckage...
hmm..this could be the answer I am looking for! I cannot believe that all three of my engines (and 4 carbs) are wacked...the longer servo horn does make some sense...it looks odd, but if it works, that is what counts! I will give it a try and see what happens..thanks bro!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vroom88
do you have to trim the plastic on the servo tray for the ace servo to fit it ??this is for the throttle brake BTW
YES
Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i just picked up some upgrade rc wraps for my m11 and 8ight. wanted to post some pics. watch out for me in joliet at the rc pro series. also check out the new neon yellow wing by losi.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-b.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-c.jpg  
Old 06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Novarossi Rex R21BF with a black head. If this was all the info you had, how many ports would this engine have? Also, is it possible to find more info about the engines using the batch numbers on the side of the engine box?
Thanx for the help.

Hey Joecool,
Several friends of mine and me, will be headed to Joliet at the end of July. Is the layout gonna get changed up? This wil be my biggest RC road trip yet? I keep getting farther and farther from home. But it's awesome at the same time. Can't wait to meet the people up there.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If the cooling head does not have a 2000 on it then you have a 3 port sport motor that is very popular. They retail for 165-189 usd. The newer ones have a larger cooling head than the old ones. They are great engines for the price. They have good lowend due to the 3 port design. An 086 pipe would be a good all around pipe option, with good mileage.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Novarossi Rex R21BF with a black head. If this was all the info you had, how many ports would this engine have? Also, is it possible to find more info about the engines using the batch numbers on the side of the engine box?
Thanx for the help.

Hey Joecool,
Several friends of mine and me, will be headed to Joliet at the end of July. Is the layout gonna get changed up? This wil be my biggest RC road trip yet? I keep getting farther and farther from home. But it's awesome at the same time. Can't wait to meet the people up there.
i have not been to joliet since the weather got nice. i only raced their in december when the indoor track was the only place to run. leisure hours is about 2.5 hours from where i live and i think that is a road trip. i dont think they change their outdoor layout often (which is where the race will be held unless bad weather brings us indoors). there might be a picture of the layout on their website. leisurehoursraceway.com im going to show up with a mostly stock set up. just gonna put 25wt oil in the rear shocks and hope to find tires that hook up well. i heard bow ties are ok but im sure the track will be blued up a little with so much racing. ill have a set of holeshots on hand and maybe some GRP or panther pin type tires. who knows whats gonna be hot just yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

ya, I'm building my tire supply still. It takes a while. And going on long trips, I'd imagine a guy could never have enough. And especially if there is two different types of tracks we could run on. But at our track, we race indoors and outdoors. So I have tires for both conditions.
What makes you want to use 25w. in the rear shocks. Does the track get really bumpy and blown-out?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, just a couple things I tried yesterday that worked well, so it's worth repeating.

- 37.5 and 54's in the front, 25 and 56's in the rear. Down from 40 and 27.5, seemed to get through rough stuff better without sacrificing corner speed.

- Four carbon shoes with four gold springs in the clutch. Lots of power, great feel, excellent wear!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Hey guys, just a couple things I tried yesterday that worked well, so it's worth repeating.

- 37.5 and 54's in the front, 25 and 56's in the rear. Down from 40 and 27.5, seemed to get through rough stuff better without sacrificing corner speed.

- Four carbon shoes with four gold springs in the clutch. Lots of power, great feel, excellent wear!
where the pistons drilled or standard
Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron

What track were you testing at yesturday?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.