R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   MIP Bypass1 pistons for 1/8th scale (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/1047566-mip-bypass1-pistons-1-8th-scale.html)

token 08-05-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by xlrsd (Post 15490027)
So when guys installs these on their kits, what is a good start point? Do you keep the same weights of oil that you were running for track conditions in non-Bypass pistons? Is there a “neutral” oil weight to start with for Bypass pistons? And also with the different thickness gaskets, is there something you are supposed to START with so you don’t throw your shock set up so far out of wack changing from non-Bypass, to Bypass?

Depends on your car as they make setupsfor different models. Run them with the same shock package you have now. We run blue front, green rear on the TLR.

sebtarta 08-05-2019 01:51 PM

Went to my local track, low bite clay track. Weather was nice and sunny which allowed the track to dry perfectly. Later clouds took over, humidity went up the roof and the track changed.

Grabbed the SRX8e with stock setup and 600CST 5 piston blue spring front and 500CST 5 piston pink spring rear. Slapped some Pro-Line Bow-Tie SS and turned some laps. Fastest I managed was a 27.4s, this was at around 12pm.

It was time to put the new shocks with the MIP bypass1 pistons. I built them with 600CST blue valve for front and 500CST green valve for rear. Same ride height as before 26mm front and 27mm rear and same tires again. Essentially everything was the same except the shock swap.

Unfortunately, by 2pm cloud overcast and it got very humid causing the track to be very heavy and loamy. Either way, I had to try it. Well fastest was 27.5s but the car was much better absorbing bumps, landing after a jump. Either way, I know that I could have been quicker probably, i just could not get the car moving as it felt heavy.

Will test more again next weekend as long as the weather cooperates. I did like the way how the car moved across the track absorbing all the bumps and holes in its path.

savage24x 08-05-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sebtarta (Post 15490338)
Went to my local track, low bite clay track. Weather was nice and sunny which allowed the track to dry perfectly. Later clouds took over, humidity went up the roof and the track changed.

Grabbed the SRX8e with stock setup and 600CST 5 piston blue spring front and 500CST 5 piston pink spring rear. Slapped some Pro-Line Bow-Tie SS and turned some laps. Fastest I managed was a 27.4s, this was at around 12pm.

It was time to put the new shocks with the MIP bypass1 pistons. I built them with 600CST blue valve for front and 500CST green valve for rear. Same ride height as before 26mm front and 27mm rear and same tires again. Essentially everything was the same except the shock swap.

Unfortunately, by 2pm cloud overcast and it got very humid causing the track to be very heavy and loamy. Either way, I had to try it. Well fastest was 27.5s but the car was much better absorbing bumps, landing after a jump. Either way, I know that I could have been quicker probably, i just could not get the car moving as it felt heavy.

Will test more again next weekend as long as the weather cooperates. I did like the way how the car moved across the track absorbing all the bumps and holes in its path.

Glad to see you didn't run 500/300... that's one wacky setup :smile:

jhold87 08-05-2019 07:12 PM

So much rain

I won a set of them on Facebook, was planning on testing them this past weekend but with all the rain I didn't get to run. Tomorrow and Wednesday after work I plan on testing for several hours both day's so only time will tell. I just installed the M2C o-ring pistons and haven't tested those either so should be fun tomorrow and Wednesday. I will be keeping a ton of notes.

TheWorstDriver 08-08-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sebtarta (Post 15490338)

This is exactly what I felt the first time I ran them, I describe that is "too easy to drive" or "feels slower", but I forced myself to race them anyway. In almost every race I had less major mistakes, resulting in more consistency, not more speed. In one club race, the car became so easy to drive, and "slow", that I lapped the field in 7 minutes, and never once went off track. So i'm struggling with the fact that it feels slower, but its actually faster on our large and super rutted outdoor track. It just doesn't seem right. lol.

Edit for after thought,... I forgot to mention that later on when I went one step up in hardness on my tires, it free'd the car back up for better rotation in corners. I went from soft long wear AKA compound to medium compound and she took off again. The harder compound tire also stayed more consistent, again increasing constancy.

TheWorstDriver 08-08-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by xlrsd (Post 15489313)

Thanks for the info, worstdriver! That’s what I’m hoping to get out of them myself! It seems that what they are made to do makes a lot of sense, and just by looking at the physics involved in them alone, they MUST help. Your track also sounds pretty similar to my local track, so I think I’m gonna give your setup a try! Couple questions in regards to your setup: do you know what those Hudy oil weights are compared to Losi oils? That’s what I run. Also, do you run emulsion with that setup, or bladder?

I don't know the Hudy/Losi conversion, but dont they offer a CST rating on the bottle now? I'd match them up, I think CST is a standard measurement regardless of brand. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I run Xray 2019 stock (clear waffle) bladders, but I am currently testing the new harder compound (RED waffle) Xray bladders. Not enough data/results to recommend.

largeorangefont 08-08-2019 10:21 AM

Which ones are you guys going with? I want to try the 6 hole pistons, but the AE version comes with 8 hole pistons, leaning towards just getting the Mugen set for my AE car.

TheWorstDriver 08-08-2019 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by largeorangefont (Post 15491671)
Which ones are you guys going with? I want to try the 6 hole pistons, but the AE version comes with 8 hole pistons, leaning towards just getting the Mugen set for my AE car.

I found the 6 hole set I ordered, and am running in the Xray 2019 XB8.

Part# FPR18400

https://www.amainhobbies.com/flash-p...00/p961498?r=0

sebtarta 08-08-2019 01:09 PM

Also my 600 and 500 CST is using the PT RC Racing oils.

largeorangefont 08-08-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver (Post 15491680)
I found the 6 hole set I ordered, and am running in the Xray 2019 XB8.

Part# FPR18400

https://www.amainhobbies.com/flash-p...00/p961498?r=0

Just ordered the same part.

largeorangefont 08-23-2019 03:13 PM

Ok I'm installing these and the MIP pistons are dragging in the shock bodies. The Kyosho and AE pistions I've ran previously don't drag at all. Same problem with 2 separate shock bodies.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm about to get some 1500 grit sandpaper and fit them by hand but this seems a little annoying for a $40 set of shock pistons.

morgoth 08-23-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by largeorangefont (Post 15499090)
Ok I'm installing these and the MIP pistons are dragging in the shock bodies. The Kyosho and AE pistions I've ran previously don't drag at all. Anyone else had this issue? I'm about to get some 1500 grit sandpaper and fit them by hand but this seems a little annoying for a $40 set of shock pistons.

I received my set earlier this week and I installed them yesterday. They are perfect fit in my Mugen shocks.
These pistons are 15.9mm diameter, so it's a close fit. If the shock body is dry, it's normal that they drag a bit. It's same with my stock Mugen pistons. But once you fill up with oil, it should move smoothly.

largeorangefont 08-23-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by morgoth (Post 15499094)
I received my set earlier this week and I installed them yesterday. They are perfect fit in my Mugen shocks.
These pistons are 15.9mm diameter, so it's a close fit. If the shock body is dry, it's normal that they drag a bit. It's same with my stock Mugen pistons. But once you fill up with oil, it should move smoothly.

Ok I am good now. I loosened the nut holding the piston a bit, and the shocks feel great. Lesson learned - just lightly snug the nuts that hold the pistons.

TurnNBurn 08-24-2019 10:47 AM

If you guys haven’t seen it, I highly recommend you look for Adam Drake’s YouTube video on them that he posted a few weeks back. He gets into some detail on how it has benefitted their race program over at Mugen Seiki, and was a good watch, IMHO.

From a theoretical standpoint, this design makes a lot of sense. I’ve done a lot of Sim Racing over the past 10 years, and in on-road applications, controlling rebound can really allow you to fine tune how the car responds to weight transfer, primarily front /rear (which directly affects grip level on entry/exit) - so any of you also running in the on-road GT8 class with cars based on buggy designs can experiment with this as well. As for how it benefits in off-road? I think Adam did a pretty good job of explaining that in his video. 🙂

EDIT: BTW, it’s also interesting that you can flip the assembly around, favoring the adjustment of compression over rebound, but for most racing applications, you’d probably want to have more control over rebound. MÍP calls this bypass1... and in their video, they mentioned further evolution - perhaps they are experimenting with finer control over BOTH rebound and compression? 🤔

savage24x 09-02-2019 08:27 AM

What’s the diameter of the HB racing pistons? How do they compare to Mugen?