Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dissecting buggies and their performance. >

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree43Likes

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulo Braz
You commented that HB is a heavier car. This extra weight contributes to stability which is something positive, but what about jumps and acceleration does the extra weight get in the way? Another question, comparing the D817 V2 with the MBX8, which is the best car these days? Do the high traction differentials of MBX8 really make a difference?
Take a car such as the JQ with its small diffs, run it for 20mins or so i felt a guys centre at the track and it was hot, it cooks the oil - proof of this odd concept is in the always heavy diff setups, they start thick and get hot and feels way differnt,
The Kyosho has large diffs especially the centre and this is why 5 5 3 always works, AE had to do it aswell.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by iplaygames
Take a car such as the JQ with its small diffs, run it for 20mins or so i felt a guys centre at the track and it was hot, it cooks the oil - proof of this odd concept is in the always heavy diff setups, they start thick and get hot and feels way differnt,
The Kyosho has large diffs especially the centre and this is why 5 5 3 always works, AE had to do it aswell.
And does HB have big or small differentials?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Paulo Braz and Friends,

HB utilizes "Old Style" Internal Gears Dimension and Pitch, so falls on the newer Mugen and AE HTD's Diffs Style. For our reference, HB Diff is the same size as the MP7.5 era. MP9 Diff Era has Narrower overall Width Internal Gear assembly but still opting "Coarse Pitch" and Big Diameter Sun Gear. While the older Mugen's LTD Diff utilises "Finer Pitch" Gear with Smaller Diameter Sun Gear.

Cheers..

And does HB have big or small differentials?
30Tooth likes this.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default informative post

Good to know that people are sharing information with each other on such huge platforms.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I thought the "ht" or "hd" diffs ae and mugen released was more of a change in the internal ratio than anything else going to the same ratio kyosho uses.
the diffs soar released as "hd" diffs were a change to the overall case internal design and omitted the shims of the standard diffs.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
I thought the "ht" or "hd" diffs ae and mugen released was more of a change in the internal ratio than anything else going to the same ratio kyosho uses.
the diffs soar released as "hd" diffs were a change to the overall case internal design and omitted the shims of the standard diffs.
Got it. But in short, which one is the best? Is there a lot of performance difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages of hb differential compared to htd?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello Paulo Braz and Friends,

HB utilizes "Old Style" Internal Gears Dimension and Pitch, so falls on the newer Mugen and AE HTD's Diffs Style. For our reference, HB Diff is the same size as the MP7.5 era. MP9 Diff Era has Narrower overall Width Internal Gear assembly but still opting "Coarse Pitch" and Big Diameter Sun Gear. While the older Mugen's LTD Diff utilises "Finer Pitch" Gear with Smaller Diameter Sun Gear.

Cheers..
Got it. But in short, which one is the best? Is there a lot of performance difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages of hb differential compared to htd?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Hello HaulinBass,

I would say the ratio might be one of the basic thinking, but as You change the number of tooth with relatively same dimension then the pitch is going to change as well. I noticed that the first edition of Serpent's 8th scale Buggy is utilizing a very fine pitch internal diff gear and surely it needs very high viscosity of oil. It also seems to have a problem to keep the diff oil viscosity in a long run main.

I don't have any experience with the SOAR Seiki Diff, but it looks to me that They are just opting to copy Kyosho's Internal Diff arrangement.

Cheers..

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
30Tooth likes this.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

Hello Paulo Braz,

From my observation, all the newer edition cars are choosing to the pitch of the Mugen AE HTD Diff. The Mugen LTD Diff will give an easier car to drive while in a low traction condition. But, as the technology of tire advancing that able to give a good traction then I would say LTD Diff will be obsolete. HB Diff and the HTD are identical.

Cheers..

30Tooth likes this.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello Paulo Braz,

From my observation, all the newer edition cars are choosing to the pitch of the Mugen AE HTD Diff. The Mugen LTD Diff will give an easier car to drive while in a low traction condition. But, as the technology of tire advancing that able to give a good traction then I would say LTD Diff will be obsolete. HB Diff and the HTD are identical.

Cheers..
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know, if the HB diffs were considered LTD or HTD.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:24 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iplaygames
The JQ car doesn't have small diffs. Go and measure the volume and report back to me. Some brands have made larger centre diffs yes, that is the main difference. Front and rear are the same.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default JQ diffs

I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I haven’t had any center diffs that didn’t cook the center diff oil. I mean it’s mounted next to an air cooled nitro engine that is mounted to an aluminum chassis plate. It all gets hot as hell. I was skeptical at first with my JQ diffs coming from AE, but they work fine. 5K in my AE center diff didn’t last any longer than my BE diffs.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Yes I have, it's not as stable or easy to drive as the others for the front end has some issues regarding geometry if I remember right. It's like a TLR 3.0 for me.
If serpent updates the truggy I would look there as I like the srx8 better than the hb.

The tekno can work everywhere but it's shock layout and position means you're on your own to find a suitable damping ratio. It can be made to work but that means not having anything else to base the setup.

I mentioned that on the launch when I read that the d block was lower but if not mistaken the pill setup was the same so there was a change in dog bone plunge, which is a fairly substantial change. I wouldn't do that but the shock angle and arm angle might have merit to it. Still prefer to not bring geometry to the mix when a roll bar or rebound setting could be better suited.
Thanks for the explanation
about the geometry to the mixture
Always prefer not to add geometry to the mix when a roll bar or kickback setting might be better.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Let’s recap 2018…

This year was dominate by PBS cars ( pivot ball suspension) it won almost all big races whether I was rough track, smooth track or even a pile of dirt it was a PBS car that came on top. This was no coincidence after all some of the biggest brands with the fastest drivers are running this specific suspension…. Now lets breakdown the brands.

Mugen: The pioneer of this whole PBS suspension they are a prime example of sticking to their concept, developing it to the fullest and the mbx8 just reassures this, fixing a few things the mbx7r had and adding to an already great platform with great support across the world…. not much to point.

Out of the two top mugen drivers Robert batlle seem to be the most consistent and well-rounded it looked like he would win it all and give mugen another world championship but his tires decide otherwise.

Xray: well xray is the walking meme of RC they’re known for outright copying and for using cheesy words like “luxurious” and “all new” in anything that’s slighty different on their cars, but they kick all those things down with great products and great quality.

Lets talk about their buggy, xray has had many revisions and changes to their XB8 platforms over the years going from a C-hub to a PBS hydrid then a traditional PBS and even name changes. when they finally seen to sticky to a certain suspension for two years , they come out with xb8 19’ which has taken them back to their early days of not knowing with direction to head with their car. From a marketing point is great because they will give the customers two cars in one and that’s a great value, but from a development point of view it might be a bad decision.

Team associated: this year they’re more like team disassociated, losing cav and solely counting on rivkin and ongaro for their off road section, which on some way is not bad because both are still young , hungry for wins and have the right team behind them to accomplish those goals.

About the rc3b8…a blue mugen with some quality concerns and some tweaks that are needed.

Sworkz: now this brand about 4-5 years ago was ehhh… I would call it a filler brand because they were that type of brand that would release car but no body seen to mind it that much and they seen to be along for the ride. But now they’re gaining traction and presence within the industry, first signing wollanka, then singing Neumann which are two top contenders by themselves that could enter any Amain at the highest of levels, but they wouldn’t stop there for the 2019 season they sign juan carlos canas and ryan cavalierie, the signing of cavalierie will for sure help sworkz get a presence in the US which is not much as of right now.

About their, cars it seen decent once again a PBS car with the rear geometry of a mp9 which seem to perform well does far but definitely we’ll see changes and improvements since the base where they can draw information from has now become larger with the addition of thise two drivers.

If you guys are interested on reading about the other cars and companies let me know.
savage24x and BenPetz like this.

Last edited by Ricardo_d99; 01-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99
Let’s recap 2018…

This year was dominate by PBS cars ( pivot ball suspension) it won almost all big races whether I was rough track, smooth track or even a pile of dirt it was a PBS car that came on top. This was no coincidence after all the biggest brands with the fastest drivers are running this specific suspension…. Now lets breakdown the brands.

Mugen: The pioneer of this whole PBS suspension they are a prime example of sticking to their concept, developing it to the fullest and the mbx8 just reassures this, fixing a few things the mbx7r had and adding to an already great platform with great support across the world…. not much to point.

Out of the two top mugen drivers Robert batlle seem to be the most consistent and well-rounded it looked like he would win it all and give mugen another world championship but his tires decide otherwise.

Xray: well xray is the walking meme of RC they’re known for outright copying and for using cheesy words like “luxurious” and “all new” in anything that’s slighty different on their cars, but they kick all those things down with great products and great quality.

Lets talk about their buggy, xray has had many revisions and changes to their XB8 platforms over the years going from a C-hub to a PBS hydrid then a traditional PBS and even name changes. when they finally seen to sticky to a certain suspension for two years , they come out with xb8 19’ which has taken them back to their early days of not knowing with direction to head with their car. From a marketing point is great because they will give the customers two cars in one and that’s a great value, but from a development point of view it might be a bad decision.

Team associated: this year they’re more like team disassociated, losing cav and solely counting on rivkin and ongaro for their off road section, which on some way is not bad because both are still young , hungry for wins and have the right team behind them to accomplish those goals.

About the rc3b8…a blue mugen with some quality concerns and some tweaks that are needed.

Sworkz: now this brand about 4-5 years ago was ehhh… I would call it a filler brand because they were that type of brand that would release car but no body seen to mind it that much and they seen to be along for the ride. But now they’re gaining traction and presence within the industry, first signing wollanka, then singing Neumann which are two top contenders by themselves that could enter any Amain at the highest of levels, but they wouldn’t stop there for the 2019 season they sign juan carlos canas and ryan cavalierie, the signing of cavalierie will for sure help sworkz get a presence in the US which is not much as of right now.

About their, cars it seen decent once again a PBS car with the rear geometry of a mp9 which seem to perform well does far but definitely we’ll see changes and improvements since the base where they can draw information from has now become larger with the addition of thise two drivers.

If you guys are interested on reading about the other cars and companies let me know.
Since when is HB Pillow Ball? Pretty sure Ronnefalk won a thing or two last year....
Big Will likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.