Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dissecting buggies and their performance. >

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree43Likes

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99

yeah there is that perception that pro setups are good for averages joe and honestly that depends on your driving style mostly and what handling characteristics the pro is setting up the car to do

i bet we have all done it at some stage and it’s all good fun. But it’s a little like picking up Roger Federer’s racket and expecting to hit a tennis ball like him. I wonder how many stick radios are being dusted off since Ongaro won....
Old 01-11-2019, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And what about the SOAR TD1R ?

Last edited by speedy2; 01-13-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matty A

i bet we have all done it at some stage and it’s all good fun. But it’s a little like picking up Roger Federer’s racket and expecting to hit a tennis ball like him. I wonder how many stick radios are being dusted off since Ongaro won....
Maybe it fits my driving style, but the Ongaro setup is fantastic at my local indoor track. Obviously will make adjustment from this point to better fit me. I have tried some box stock setup and other pros setup and they are undriveable so I can see what you are saying!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maddog9
Maybe it fits my driving style, but the Ongaro setup is fantastic at my local indoor track. Obviously will make adjustment from this point to better fit me. I have tried some box stock setup and other pros setup and they are undriveable so I can see what you are saying!
I would agree its good and is soo good because the car is well balance both front and rear have the same amount of grip and camber through compression is constant, What changes would you do to it ?

Last edited by Ricardo_d99; 01-11-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99
Now lets cover the brands with c-hub geometry… lets start

Kyosho: this next year for kyosho is going be an interesting one, because tebo is gone to tekno… wait tekno…tebo..tekno..tebo… it was mean to be lol.. back to it this is something I think tebo needed to bring back that fire in him that was gone.

And to replace him is CJ jelin a young talent that can be taken very far if he was the right team behind, because the ability is there.

Now lets talk about the mp10 but first lets go back to the mp9, in 2018 it was clear the mp9 could no longer hang with the others at least with the team setup and it was clear the team guys were no longer driving the car but rather battling it around a track and now with this mp10 there will be two sides of the spectrum some will love it and some will hate , first of all the mp10 is evolution rather than a revolution, but something that was needed nonetheless and will be interested to see how the top guys will perform.

HB racing: apparently this year there wont be any major changes team wise, David keeps going strong with them and the team keeps growing.

About the d817 v2, this year on WC’s the team were using some prototype shorter rear arms with wider C & D blocks which in theory would help the car rotate better and drift/ break rear traction easier so this might mean a 819 is coming.

TLR: team wise they’re going unchanged with tanner, Dakota and reno.

About the car, now this were TLR decide to scrap the original 8ight platform and came out with the X which marketing wise is great because they can build up hype and they will probably have more sales than if they just updated the older car. What is yet to be seen is whether this new platform actually performance better than the older one and our first impression of the car was at the roar nats and they weren’t very good but the more recent ones have been better also the car has undergone some modifications which look like they help the car handle properly.

Agama: this year could be a good for them with ryan lutz on the USA this for sure will help them build a customer base and put their car on the more Amain finals. on the European side its quite blurry for me because at the beginning there was bloomfield but he retire or something like that and now they have the bullik brothers which are slowly but surely climing the ladder on charts, also they have lee martin running their chassis under infinity but still they don’t have a top European guy but regardless this year for sure will be good for them.

About the A215sv , supposedly there’s a new car coming soon so lets see what that brings to the table, the previous cars seem quite good with a lot of potential but then again there was no top guy to explode that potential it had.

Tekno: well this year they got tebo and a new car so those two together might be a good thing apart from that, I don’t see any major changes that could affect the brand.

Now about their new car , the last car had a lot of issues to start with and by the looks of it the new has the same problems , the most substantial being where the shocks mount on the arms make the car not roll naturally and at times making the car too stiff through rough terrain but then again lets seen what they bring to the table maybe they’ll figure what to do to make it right.

if anyone is interested on a more technical analysis of each car I could do that and maybe my good friend @30tooth can pop in and clarify any questions anyone has.
Serpent...?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maddog9
Does it have negative toe in the rear ??
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedy2
Does it have negative toe in the rear ??
0.75 toe in for the rear. Just barely negative lol.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savage24x
Serpent...?
not going to talk about them since their off road program is very strange and we all thought this year they would have someone big but then went unnoticed
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Soar TD1R
It is a special good working PBS.. I like it a lot, it seems to give a bit more freedom and less stress to the ball system
and it's one of the best driving cars out the box too, like a super-mbx6

Very good quality of parts, like Serpent, but they are too expensive, and there aren't many cnc parts in the kit..
Seems the team is double backing in the US, after Gene Hickerson left
and they are still nowhere in Europe, after a disastrous Graupner and Modelix distribution venture which didn't work at all.. 4 years lost in sales
Their boss adores to create but really doesn't want to have to make time to be much involved in the selling business .. Real pity for a good car..

Last edited by speedy2; 01-23-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ
Yes, but you also have to look at the fact that Ongaro, Battle, Maifield, Rivkin, Cavalieri, Canas, Tessmann, Coelho all run PBS. That makes a difference too. There are more top drivers running pbs than chub.
This was what I was having an issue with. It's not that the pbs cars are so much better but rather there are far more top drivers with that style of car than the c-hub. I felt that his statement was misleading in the phrasing he chose.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Big Will
This was what I was having an issue with. It's not that the pbs cars are so much better but rather there are far more top drivers with that style of car than the c-hub. I felt that his statement was misleading in the phrasing he chose.
Aside from weight I really can't see the difference between chub and PBS. Not sure the attached wheel would know either.... I see xray 2019 model is now hedging their bets and offering both.

"2-in-1 Concept.
The Redesigned XB8 2-in-1 concept offers endless setup choices for any track condition. The XB8 includes both a complete C-hub and Pivot Ball suspension in the kit. Adjustable to any track condition, the XB8 is the most versatile car in its class. Racers can configure the XB8 to match their driving style and the current track conditions."
Old 01-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matty A
Aside from weight I really can't see the difference between chub and PBS. Not sure the attached wheel would know either.... I see xray 2019 model is now hedging their bets and offering both.

"2-in-1 Concept.
The Redesigned XB8 2-in-1 concept offers endless setup choices for any track condition. The XB8 includes both a complete C-hub and Pivot Ball suspension in the kit. Adjustable to any track condition, the XB8 is the most versatile car in its class. Racers can configure the XB8 to match their driving style and the current track conditions."
I think they should have stuck to one or the other but not both Because it might be hard for them to develop them both well enough
Old 01-22-2019, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

Quote from Davide Ongaro post IFMAR. “We changed the setup of the shocks a lot because the temperature (in Perth) was always different, but the car was 90 percent the same. I have used close to the same setup all year long, and I am very comfortable with all of my material.”
i add this as it’s consistent with most 1:1 cars and particularly rally cars which in their case the main focus is dampers and diffs, camber May change depending on the camber of the road, a thing buggies don’t really need to worry about.

Here’s xray a buggy I do admire but.... A car with endless setup possibilities to accommodate the most discerning racer and now two front ends.... Does the kit come with a degree in mechanical engineering or a computer programme that models the changes you make? I’ve now gone off xray with their optional hub layout. If those guys can’t definitively decide what works best then what? They have the CAD and all the computational modelling but now they’ve thrown it to me to decide the whole front end?! Kyosho MP10 released with less adjustment holes and Kanai basically states don’t stuff with the stock setup. Is this his politically correct way of saying if your track times are crap compared to the dude next to you then it’s you not my buggy that needs work?. Is xray trying hard to accommodate everyone but satisfies no one? another car comes to mind when I think of making everyone happy....

gt racing likes this.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lots of Placebo effect.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Seems like companies are making changes just so they can sell product. Most racers will develop buggies the way they are comfortable with. Bigger shocks were the last big changes,then drivetrain alignment changes. Now seems lke nothing but minor changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.