Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
Hard to believe the same size pack can increase MAH that high. New lipo tech is getting better all the time so it might be possible. Post a review if you test them.
I don’t believe it is realy 8000mah....and 100c...They can put on the packs whatever They like.sales Numbers should be very high then.I will let you know
Old 03-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wow...this place is "renting" the SBR for $20 a run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raszfxC9p8Q
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Default New Mttire xmax

First,They are little Lower,but also alot wider.fitting is only possible with a washer behind the nut

With the dremeled washer

They are wider and feel very firm
Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 PM
VIX
Tech Rookie

DBXL-E with Fullforce (modified) windows, front and rear...will modify new front window to fit Sides, plastic now. New car with few upgrades

Because I can’t upload and pics, weird rules... enjoy last upload in link below...page 4

> https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9080244-Motor-upgrade-advice-X-Maxx-8s-TP-Power/page4
Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my DBXLE with some goodies

- Hobbywing Max5
- Leopard 58110 950kv
- Proline MX43 wheels

This should bring it back to life

I'll post back with my findings once done
Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gavsta72
I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my DBXLE with some goodies

- Hobbywing Max5
- Leopard 58110 950kv
- Proline MX43 wheels

This should bring it back to life

I'll post back with my findings once done
Alright I'm 2/3rds of the way there. I ordered the Max5 and motor today. The max5 will be here tomorrow, and the big Leopard by the end of next week.

It will be interesting to see what power gains (if any) there will be using the Max5 with the stock motor. I also ordered a 14,15 and 16T pinion, so I'll experiment with with them to see just how big a pinion I can use without creating too much heat.
I've been doing random readings with my temp gun, and the stock motor has never gotten above 70 celcius, ESC 50 celcius, that's even on a hot and humid Aussie summer's day of 35C with the stock 13T pinion
Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Alright I'm 2/3rds of the way there. I ordered the Max5 and motor today. The max5 will be here tomorrow, and the big Leopard by the end of next week.

It will be interesting to see what power gains (if any) there will be using the Max5 with the stock motor. I also ordered a 14,15 and 16T pinion, so I'll experiment with with them to see just how big a pinion I can use without creating too much heat.
I've been doing random readings with my temp gun, and the stock motor has never gotten above 70 celcius, ESC 50 celcius, that's even on a hot and humid Aussie summer's day of 35C with the stock 13T pinion
You should enjoy it, I went with the Max5 and the buggy did seem faster and smoother. It seem like it picked up speed quite faster. Motor temps I am not sure on as I have a castle 2028 fan setup on the motor that does seem to help cooling it quite a bit. Been wanting to upgrade the fans in the 2028 as I know they are not that great.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah will be a good little experiment to see what power boost there is. I have the Castle fan also, and today is a good day for testing as the weather is the same as yesterday when I last checked the temps with the stock ESC....because the Max5 arrived this morning and she's ready to go

I've just got it held down with double sided tape, but this stuff from Hobbyking is the bomb. It actually sticks even better once it gets warmed up for the first time, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Awesome results with my first run, compared to yesterday

Like I said, same temp outside, no breeze and humid

Stock motor, ESC and 2x 4S GensAce 40C lipos

Motor temp - 65 celsius
ESC temp - 45 celcius
Battery temps - 40 celcius

Today with the Max5 and stock motor

Motor temp - 60 celcius
ESC temp - 38 celcius
Battery temps - 45 celcius

So the motor temps gone down, no doubt because it's not starving for power
Battery temp up because it's using more power.

Definitely a noticeable difference in speed and torque, my front wheels even ballooned a bit and that's never happened before (Mad Max 195x80 nobby's)

This thing's going to be a beast with the Leo 950kv
Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

The big leopard 58110 950kv arrived this morning and it's ready to go. I'll leave it for a few hours to let the loctite cure a bit (lol) and take it for a run.

I had to file down the little plastic guard/support that sits under the end of the stock motor, the Leo is about 1.5mm bigger in diameter, and it's 200grams heavier than the stock motor.

I'm running the stock 13T pinion for now to see how temps go, and I have 14,15 and 16T pinions on the way.

Can't wait to take this bad boy out for a run

Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Wow what a weapon the DBXLe is now, it's got a ton of power and speed, even the front wheels lift off the ground a bit.
I'm a bit concerned about the heat, temps on the motor got to 82C (179F) the Max5 is fine at only 49, and the lipos got to 51.
What's the go with the Castle 2028 fan, does it suck the air or blow it on the motor ?? I put a piece of light plastic on it and it seems to me it sucks the air away from the motor. My BEC is only at 6V at the moment, I had trouble programming the BEC on the Max5, but I'll give it another go as I want 7.4V.
Is it better if the fans blow air on the motor or suck it away ??
Old 04-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow what a weapon the DBXLe is now, it's got a ton of power and speed, even the front wheels lift off the ground a bit.
I'm a bit concerned about the heat, temps on the motor got to 82C (179F) the Max5 is fine at only 49, and the lipos got to 51.
What's the go with the Castle 2028 fan, does it suck the air or blow it on the motor ?? I put a piece of light plastic on it and it seems to me it sucks the air away from the motor. My BEC is only at 6V at the moment, I had trouble programming the BEC on the Max5, but I'll give it another go as I want 7.4V.

That is getting too hot for the motor. I would change gearing to reduce temps.

Also the castle 2028 fans blow down onto the motor. You can reverse the fans and have them suck away from the motor if you want. However I played with both and it seemed that with my castle 2028 motor and fan combo I got the lowest motor temps with letting the fans blow on the motor. WTF also sells replacement fans that have a higher cfm check them out.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM
VIX
Tech Rookie

7,4V in Max5 doesnt help, 2028 castle fans are to weak (6V i think). I replaced them with Hudy 8,4V, im getting 8V from Max5 ESC (special) or you must add extra battery. Its big difference! Forget trying all other ideas... you can see how i did it and pics, see my previous post, link to another forum..
Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fate0n3
That is getting too hot for the motor. I would change gearing to reduce temps.

Also the castle 2028 fans blow down onto the motor. You can reverse the fans and have them suck away from the motor if you want. However I played with both and it seemed that with my castle 2028 motor and fan combo I got the lowest motor temps with letting the fans blow on the motor. WTF also sells replacement fans that have a higher cfm check them out.
Yeah the temps are borderline. I know why the motor got that hot, it's because of the LVC on the HW Max ESC's and the stock Dynamite, with the low,intermediate, and high. That'd ridiculous anyway, but I had the countdown timer on my TX set to 8.5 minutes, which was was fine with the Dynamite motor and the esc set to intermediate (high was too high, and intermediate got too low for my liking)

So I have the Max5 set at intermediate also, but I forgot to take into consideration the Leo using more power, so the LVC kicked in before the timer countdown. I was checking the temps every minute, and the motor only got to 72c (161f) then probably 30 secs after the last check, the LVC kicked in, which would've resulted in a sudden spike (plus I drove it until it completely stopped).....end voltage of packs was 3.3v/per cell....too low, I like and end voltage of 3.6v.

Just a minor teething problem, I've set my timer to 7 minutes now, so I'll see what the end volts are, and gradually increase the time depending on end volt
Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by VIX
7,4V in Max5 doesnt help, 2028 castle fans are to weak (6V i think). I replaced them with Hudy 8,4V, im getting 8V from Max5 ESC (special) or you must add extra battery. Its big difference! Forget trying all other ideas... you can see how i did it and pics, see my previous post, link to another forum..
Yeah I've read about the castle fans being underpowered, they are rated for 7.4V max, but I'll look into fans with a higher air flow.

Do the fans on the castle blower come out easy, it looks like they are permanently mounted on the shroud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.