Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric >

Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric

Like Tree21Likes

Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric

Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric

I know this isn't the right forum for it, but Losi just released a 1/5 scale electric version of the DBXL:

1/5 Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric RTR with AVC, Grey | HorizonHobby
Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

yeah I saw this big one

nice vid

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I was hoping for more jumps !
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

General rule of thumb is as long as it's a Monster Truck it's welcome in this section regardless of scale. By the strictest of rules this probably belongs in the large scale section being it's a buggy, but it's also the basis for the MT version so who cares.

Interesting power system, Hobbywing esc with Dynamite stickers and an unknown motor. Hobbywing doesn't currently offer a 1/5 motor, I wonder if it is theirs and this is just the first we're seeing of it and if it'll be offered for sale by Hobbywing.

Before anyone says it's a Castle motor there are a host of differences. Not that obvious is the fins are not raised on the Dynamite, the fins are made by cutting into the motor can and the number of them is less than the 2028. The wires also don't have the normal Castle markings. It would also be highly unusual to contract one manufacturer for the esc and another for the motor, they'd usually go with one manufacturer. But the 2028 and the Dynamite do have the same kv and dimensions.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Here is a solid overview from Losi on this new rig:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...340718934&_rdr

My favorite part is the Dr. Pepper size comparison. That gives new meaning to the words "motor can".
Attached Thumbnails Losi Desert Buggy XL-E 4WD Electric-wqwr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Motor is definitely not a Castle or a Leopard, it has the same design as the Losi 6ix just bigger. So no clue to who the manufacturer really is. Most of the upgrades they made look very good but 160a esc will cook in that heavy of a truck. Anyone thinking about getting it make sure upgrade to the Max5
Old 03-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Adam, do you think the bullet connectors will be the same size on the MAX5 and the included 1/5 scale motor on this rig? I can't find specs on the bullet size for this new motor.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes they are the same. Max5 and Max6 both have 6.5mm bullets
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aauman88 View Post
Motor is definitely not a Castle or a Leopard, it has the same design as the Losi 6ix just bigger. So no clue to who the manufacturer really is. Most of the upgrades they made look very good but 160a esc will cook in that heavy of a truck. Anyone thinking about getting it make sure upgrade to the Max5
So they put the Max6 in this instead of the Max5? Hey borderline is good enough when it maximizes the profits right?

I wouldn't doubt if the motor in this and the 6ix is from Hobbywing and Hobbywing just isn't ready or willing to release it to the public on their own. Castle makes the 1717 for Traxxas but discontinued the 1717 they sold due to lackluster sales. There could also be contractual obligations in the mix too.

I just never liked the rebranding scheme though. If you don't make the motor/esc don't try to pass it off as yours, show us what it really is. I had some respect for Traxxas when the Castle stuff was left alone and they lost it when they rebranded it as their own. Plus when vehicle companies rebrand they often have the components built to a lower spec, HPI does this with their versions of the Castle motors.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I just bought it

What good barriers should I get and improvements if any? And I'll drive it the first time tomorrow I'll send video.

Last edited by Kenjc; 05-20-2017 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ive been looking for this thread. how many people have one of these? ive seen a few videos on youtube. any owners input would be great
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've got two sitting in my shop tore down for builds. Excellent quality of rig especially for the price point. I haven't drove either one so can't input with that
Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Another running video, little Outcast action by my son as well

https://youtu.be/o1BDRvWVDpk

Enjoy
Trout
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aeguy View Post
ive been looking for this thread. how many people have one of these? ive seen a few videos on youtube. any owners input would be great
I have three runs on mine. It's excellent and it's been extremely durable. I think it's crazy fast for being so large. I've used GPS on mine and while using 60c SMC 4s 6700mah packs, I've gotten 48mph...that's impressive for a box stock 5th scale in my option.

I've bashed mine hard on the last run a few days ago and this rig can take major punishment. I think the stock suspension tune and esc/motor combo is good. I've checked the motor temps after running hard for 20 min and it's right around 120d in 75-80d ambient temps. I would like to change out the tires for something more aggressive, but the stockers work fine on any terrain.

It's ALOT of RC for the money, despite being $1000.00. Losi hit it out of the park with this in terms of getting first to the market with such a large vehicle on electric power being this good stock. Like Adam said, the build quality and assembly is top notch.

I wouldn't have any issues recommending it.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

I do have a question. Does anyone know where to get a fan(S)/heatsink combo for this monster motor?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steel_Rain View Post
I do have a question. Does anyone know where to get a fan(S)/heatsink combo for this monster motor?
Yes, castle Dual fans fit perfectly!

Trout

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service