Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New losi 1/5 monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi Truck

You ever get around to shooting that video?

Originally Posted by chipmonk
If any of you have any questions or want any specific pics of this beast let me know. I've had it for about a month now and am about a gallon in. I've added a victory silenced pipe as well. I bash the living crap out of my rc's and this thing holds up absolutely great. The 29cc motor is a powerhouse, add a pipe and this thing Is far from lacking acceleration. I'm going to post a review in the next week or so. I also have some vids of me jumping it over a 10ft mound of dirt I'll post up for you guys.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-BsgtU4reM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=poghdOKwmgQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXHSiqeDf4

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm not gunna lie I completely forgot lol. Hopefully I get to test the truck in some snow here soon!

Last edited by chipmonk; 12-12-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi Monster Truck Engines

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone here has tried any of the aftermarket engines in this beast. I noticed a few options on LargescaleRc.com.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bashanddash
Really need an electric version of this. Id love to pick one up to run with my X-Maxx.
Here you go

Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Aauman88
Here you go

What wheels and tires are those? Im thinking about getting something a little lighter than the stock ones.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Imex, the stock wheels and tires sucked IMO.

This one has been converted to DBXL chassis so the cage fits
Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here you go

Wow, that is clean. I would ove to see some running video! What esc, what motor, what motor mounting bracket, what gearing, 8s? What battery trays. Tell me about your build, want to know more. So cool.
Thanks,
TrouT.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Badass. Pretty sure I'll never be able to own one, but I would at least like to see one of these things running in real life.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys. Build thread here

http://thercgarage.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=29

Started as a MTXL but converted to DBXL chassis. Max5 esc, Castle 2028 motor, Tekno batt trays, Kershaw universal motor mount and Hitec 845wp steering servo. Running 8s with 15t pinion and get 20-25min runtime with Graphene 4s 5000mah 65c batts
Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

^ That brushless conversion looks epic mate ^
Old 12-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Build thread here

http://thercgarage.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=29

Started as a MTXL but converted to DBXL chassis. Max5 esc, Castle 2028 motor, Tekno batt trays, Kershaw universal motor mount and Hitec 845wp steering servo. Running 8s with 15t pinion and get 20-25min runtime with Graphene 4s 5000mah 65c batts
Aauman88,

I read that whole thread. Nice trucks in there, looks like you and Ditch passed this guy back and forth, if I may, how much did you buy it back from him for?
I ask, because im curious what the investment is roughly to get to where this truck is.

And do you build them and sell them? PM me. I am interested in copying your project. Copying is the greatest form of flattery
Trout
Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Im looking to upgrade the filter for the truck in the near future, i just dont know where to start or whats good. Anybody have a recommendation? There is not much room from the carb to the side of the body so it will have to be low profile like the stock one.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tuned Pipe Installation Guide?

Anyone know where I might be able to find an instruction sheet for installing an aftermarket tuned pipe on this thing? My new pipe came with a bunch of mounting hardware, and I know I have to drill a few holes in the chassis...but there's no manual or instructions of any kind, and it wasn't an omission - DDM doesn't provide one. I know it's not complicated, and I could definitely just wing it...but I like to have some sort of guide to double-check that I have it secured exactly as the manufacturer intended...it might be a little teensy bit of OCD , or delayed PTSD from a muffler that kept falling off of my old Kyosho Vanning seemingly no matter what I did to secure it. I actually expected the truck to come with a stock muffler that I would just replace directly, but it comes with no pipe at all! Surely a one-sheet intended for the DBXL would be helpful, but I couldn't even find one of those! Thanks.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default First Time Out with the MTXL

Finally got this thing out in the desert to give it a good bashing. I brought it to a desert-style park nearby where there is a makeshift mountain bike/BMX ‘track’. The tuned pipe from Victory was LOUD - definitely can’t run this sucker in the neighborhood. Some cops even hassled me during break-in for driving on a public street, even though I was at a dead end away from a residential area.

I posted a video here

The truck seems to have plenty of power, and there isn’t much that can stop it. It jumps surprisingly well for such a gigantic vehicle, and I quickly drew a crowd. Shame my cameraman didn’t capture anything too impressive. Overall I think I’m going to have a lot of fun with this thing, though it is definitely an effort to deal with the extra size. It barely fits in my trunk (pic below) (causing me to spill a bunch of fuel back there), and definitely doesn’t fit on any workbench!

My only real disappointments:

• A dog-bone came loose after a ball-end popped off following a semi-hard landing. For a second I thought I was driving a Hi-Rider Vette in 1990! I definitely didn’t abuse the truck nearly as much as I plan to, so the fact that I tore one of those boots and popped a ball-end off so easily is worrisome. After it happened I was preparing to end the session and the throttle was being engaged without my input as I lifted it up - only way to describe it would be ‘glitching’ like the old school radios/ESCs used to. I don’t know what caused that, but I will have to take a closer look.

• The tires might be a just a bit too big, as there was definitely some noticeable wobbling during speed runs on the pavement. The wide turning radius is difficult to get used to and can get you stuck easily, especially with no reverse gear - something I wish I had.

• The included transmitter is very cheaply made. Losi really cut some corners here, as the provided radio feels like very cheaply made and seems mismatched with what is otherwise a high-end high-priced package.

I’ll definitely need to find myself some sort of container designed for pre-mix at a capacity small enough to accommodate R/C engines. Anyone know of a good product that can hold the fuel and help mix it? I had way too many containers and ended up spilling too much.

Anyway, I’d love to hear other experiences/advice!