New losi 1/5 monster truck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New losi 1/5 monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

I would definitely buy this if I could afford it! Running in public places with gassers and nitro trucks isn't a problem most the time. I run my nitro trucks in parks all around my house and sometimes out in the road in front, which is in the city. My neighbors think the trucks are cool and they and their kids watch me run them sometimes. Gassers are quieter than nitros are, too. Think gas powered weed eater, because that's what powers gasser RC trucks. A buddy of mine has 2 gassers and a Savage 4.6, and we regularly run those and my nitros together in parks.

The main reason most 1/5 scale trucks are gas IMO is related to the cost of running, which is one huge reason people buy gassers in the first place. A gallon of 30% nitro is about $20-$30. A 5 gallon gas can filled up with 91 octane and the 2 stroke oil to mix with it will run you $20-$30 with name brand oil. This will last so long you'll lose track on the running time. Now look at the cost of batteries needed to run a large truck like a 1/5 scale. And you surely aren't going to only buy 2 packs. I have 3 packs for my Tamiya Lunchbox. It will take forever for that cost of batteries to even out with a gasser, if it ever does. Nitro and gas is also NOT by default slower than electric. The X Maxx is slow and it's 6S LiPo powered brushless.

Many yard tools are gas powered, all of mine are. A 25CC leaf blower is louder than any nitro or gas RC could ever be. I have electric trucks, too. They are smaller scale than my nitro ones because they have a specific purpose in my collection. I only really use those when it gets later in the evening and in my yard because my nitro trucks are too big and fast to run in the yard, and you can't run loud engines at 12:00 AM. I've done it many times before, but it's asking for a visit from the police. I also run exclusively electric when it's cold out, like 40 degrees or lower. I hate tuning nitro engines in the cold! Gassers will run in just about any weather with minimal tuning, though.

If the cops come (Only happened to me once at a park with my T Maxx, old woman literally having a tea party at home next to the park called them), they will just tell you to stop. We actually offered to stop that day, we weren't told to. The officer said there was no law governing noise at that time of day and didn't know what to tell us to do. We just said we'll go somewhere else, he thanked us several times and left. My bother got yelled at by the cops for running a brushed Stampede in a park once because somebody called them about it. It happens. Curious about noise ordinances, call the station and ask! I don't know where these places are where it's illegal to run a nitro/gasser RC, but every city I've lived in has noise ordinances that kick in a certain time of night. Usually 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM depending on time of year and the city. Noise ordinances run later in the summer around here.

Anyways, this is a pretty cool truck. I do wish that somebody would make a gasser MT that actually looks like an MT. Think slightly bigger X Maxx with a 29CC engine on it. C'mon Traxxas, I know you can do it!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxximize
I would definitely buy this if I could afford it! Running in public places with gassers and nitro trucks isn't a problem most the time. I run my nitro trucks in parks all around my house and sometimes out in the road in front, which is in the city. My neighbors think the trucks are cool and they and their kids watch me run them sometimes. Gassers are quieter than nitros are, too. Think gas powered weed eater, because that's what powers gasser RC trucks. A buddy of mine has 2 gassers and a Savage 4.6, and we regularly run those and my nitros together in parks.

The main reason most 1/5 scale trucks are gas IMO is related to the cost of running, which is one huge reason people buy gassers in the first place. A gallon of 30% nitro is about $20-$30. A 5 gallon gas can filled up with 91 octane and the 2 stroke oil to mix with it will run you $20-$30 with name brand oil. This will last so long you'll lose track on the running time. Now look at the cost of batteries needed to run a large truck like a 1/5 scale. And you surely aren't going to only buy 2 packs. I have 3 packs for my Tamiya Lunchbox. It will take forever for that cost of batteries to even out with a gasser, if it ever does. Nitro and gas is also NOT by default slower than electric. The X Maxx is slow and it's 6S LiPo powered brushless.

Many yard tools are gas powered, all of mine are. A 25CC leaf blower is louder than any nitro or gas RC could ever be. I have electric trucks, too. They are smaller scale than my nitro ones because they have a specific purpose in my collection. I only really use those when it gets later in the evening and in my yard because my nitro trucks are too big and fast to run in the yard, and you can't run loud engines at 12:00 AM. I've done it many times before, but it's asking for a visit from the police. I also run exclusively electric when it's cold out, like 40 degrees or lower. I hate tuning nitro engines in the cold! Gassers will run in just about any weather with minimal tuning, though.

If the cops come (Only happened to me once at a park with my T Maxx, old woman literally having a tea party at home next to the park called them), they will just tell you to stop. We actually offered to stop that day, we weren't told to. The officer said there was no law governing noise at that time of day and didn't know what to tell us to do. We just said we'll go somewhere else, he thanked us several times and left. My bother got yelled at by the cops for running a brushed Stampede in a park once because somebody called them about it. It happens. Curious about noise ordinances, call the station and ask! I don't know where these places are where it's illegal to run a nitro/gasser RC, but every city I've lived in has noise ordinances that kick in a certain time of night. Usually 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM depending on time of year and the city. Noise ordinances run later in the summer around here.

Anyways, this is a pretty cool truck. I do wish that somebody would make a gasser MT that actually looks like an MT. Think slightly bigger X Maxx with a 29CC engine on it. C'mon Traxxas, I know you can do it!

Same here. When ever I break out the RC8 the neighbors all watch. I can run in any park till 10:00. Maybe it's because we're in the Midwest, I'm in Iowa. But I live in a suburb of Des Moines, so it's in town.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Gas only way to go large scale, 1/8th and 1/5th rule when it comes to MT's IMO........will be getting one of these ASAP.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Now does anyone know where the cheapest place to score one of these puppies w/ shipping is? Coupon codes etc?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I do like the look of the fg
Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

...If the cops come (Only happened to me once at a park with my T Maxx, old woman literally having a tea party at home next to the park called them), they will just tell you to stop...
That's hilarious. I guess it all boils down to who is in the area. Do you ever go back there are run your RC vehicles?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing

I actually liked the feel and looks of this:

One I had came with an aftermarket pipe and a few other upgrades, but was a fun vehicle for what it was. A buddy of mine who traded for it and lives out on a farm has a blast with it.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Terrible suspension design.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
That's hilarious. I guess it all boils down to who is in the area. Do you ever go back there are run your RC vehicles?
Lmao yea we had a pretty good laugh when the officer told me that! Yea we have gone back there a few times since and nothing has happened yet. That park is pretty large, so we just move around more to different areas of it so it's not constant in one area. Oddly enough, it isn't even located in a city, but in a town with less than 5,000 residents. Maybe the larger concentration of old people with nothing to do makes them more apt to call the fuzz. The officer actually admitted to us that the same woman who called them on us has called countless times about kids sledding on the nearby hill. Standard case of a buzz kill who has no life.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
I actually liked the feel and looks of this:

One I had came with an aftermarket pipe and a few other upgrades, but was a fun vehicle for what it was. A buddy of mine who traded for it and lives out on a farm has a blast with it.
The Rampage is an awesome truck indeed! My buddy that was with me when the cops came was driving that very truck that day. He still has it, and has since swapped the steering servo for a stronger one and put a pipe on it. It's a bit louder than stock, but also noticeably quicker.

He also just got a Losi 5ive-T, which is very impressive. It's huge, like 40+ pounds, but still capable of some pretty high speeds. It keeps up with my Mad Force until it hits 3rd gear and is very nimble considering it's size. It's box stock except for the kill switch he installed in it. Not to mention the run time. We ran the trucks just yesterday and in the time I burned 3 tanks through my two nitro trucks and 3 battery packs in the 1/16 Revo, he had gone through about 1/4 tank! We were running through some very rough dirt and some thick field grass. On a half tank that thing will run for about 45 minutes. If this new MT is based on the 5ive-T, it will be a truly excellent truck.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

I think a better looking body would do wonders for this new MT. The bodies of the FG and Rampage that were posted would even look good on it.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think MCD still makes an MT body that should be a good option. the problem with the stock Rampage MT body is that its not Lexan I think. Its a more shatterable material. Shame as I liked the looks of it too.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi MT

That body y'all are critiquing is $200 to replace! That's a main thing stopping me from picking up one of these - the prohibitive cost of 1/5 replacement parts.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I live in the Phoenix area, where there's no shortage of open land to bash with a truck like this. When I was living in LA, I found it a bit more difficult and definitely annoyed folks at the local park with my E-Revo, especially when I'd run past the dog park and set off a chorus of barking

I am in the market for a big-ass truck, but have been weighing the pros/cons of the 1/5 Losi truck vs something like the HPI 5T. I wonder if I'd be annoyed with the slower off-the-line acceleration because of the huge tires & extra weight. I imagine a tuned pipe & some gearing adjustments would significantly improve upon what I've seen from the stock setup...but now we're talkin big $. I wish there were some more comparison vids out there, but I guess it's wait & see...just like every new introduction, if the truck is popular, aftermarket will respond and other manufacturers will compete in the class, elevating quality all around & pushing the technology forward. There won't be a way around $200 tires, but that's another issue...
Old 11-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If any of you have any questions or want any specific pics of this beast let me know. I've had it for about a month now and am about a gallon in. I've added a victory silenced pipe as well. I bash the living crap out of my rc's and this thing holds up absolutely great. The 29cc motor is a powerhouse, add a pipe and this thing Is far from lacking acceleration. I'm going to post a review in the next week or so. I also have some vids of me jumping it over a 10ft mound of dirt I'll post up for you guys.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Really need an electric version of this. Id love to pick one up to run with my X-Maxx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.