Wiki Posts
Search

New xxl2e owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Overdriven
As a precaution I'd pop out the front diff and inspect the outer case. The outer case is cast and somewhat brittle. I recently had to do the same repair on my nephews truck and his was cracked on the underside right at the plastic pinion collar. Unfortunately didn't notice it until the truck was back together and we heard the diff clicking.
Took you advise. Looks like it's ok.
Attached Thumbnails New xxl2e owner-image.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys I own a losi lst2 and its in need of a motor so i'm thinking about going a different route with it and thinking if I should do the xxl2-e conversion or should I get a nitro for it. Is it really worth doing the conversion? I know it's going to cost me 300 in motor/Esc alone and another 100 for the conversion maybe more. Any advice would be great!! Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

I never nitro. Just started this rc thing.
I'm liking the brushless power. Charge and go.
Weather doesn't bother it to much. Only thing I've found is water and dirt shorten wheel bearing life. I've run mine pretty good already. It's tough - and easy to maintain.
I vote brushless.
I'm an old motor head to but I don't want to wrench or tune. But I know I'd love it if I had the time.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default Its busted.

I finally busted my xxl2e tonight.
Snapped the steering arm off. First thing in 6 weeks I don't have a spare part for. But it's on the way.
Landed bad off of my small ramp. Still learning iam.

The 6 weeks is a testament to losi's durability.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

An LST2 with LRP Z.28 Spec 3 is a lot of fun. Or for more even more fun, an LRP ZR.30X with pullstart backplate. The 30 is super easy to break in and tune, and has brushless type power*. And sound..

* Maybe not 6S. But 6S just blows things up anyway..
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by themanwithnonam
Hey Overdriven, man wuss up?

direct question towards you - being the encyclopedia of the lst platform.

do you think it would be possible to sqeeze a CD inside the tranny of the xxl or xxl2e? This can be done on the savage flux by using parts from one of their other cars.

If one can find a bevel gear with correct modul that would attach to a diff... maybe I assume that Losi is using common bearing sizes inside the tranny?, but what about the length of the space between the driveshaft cups?

What you think?
Sorry I missed this post, haven't been checking in much lately. The answer is a big fat No.

I have an empty LST trans case and I just eyeballed it with a loose 8ight center diff I have around. The LST/8ight diff cup will fit inside the trans, there's even enough length for it. There's two problems though. First is the fact the bevel gear used on the output shaft (let's call it the ring gear just like in a front or rear diff) of the trans is a much smaller diameter than a normal ring gear, it's actually about equal in size to the diff cup. So there's no way of attaching the diff cup to the ring gear on the output shaft. The second problem is the intermediate shaft and the bevel gear on it (let's call it the pinion) that drives the ring gear. The pinion gear occupies the space that you'd want to put the diff cup. Shortening the intermediate shaft to move the pinion away is not an option as that would require a new bearing support in the trans case that's not there and a custom machined ring gear that's larger. Since there's no way to make room for a larger ring gear that's out. So we're still at a big fat no, it's not possible.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Amazing

Overdriven -
You should have your own hobby shop. Your knowledge and ability to explain by the written word is amazing.
Impressive to say the least. I have my xxl2e and I can work on it with a feeling of confidence thanks to your current and previous posts.
Many, many thanks.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

47yok, it's funny you mention a lhs, I actually considered buying one from a guy that was retiring. The main thing that stopped me is I can't fly worth a damn and if you can't fly you can't setup customer's flyers very well. This is especially true of helis which the shop did a big business in. I regularly watched in awe of the maneuvers customers put helis through on the simulator, these guys were serious flyers and big spenders. The employee that knew helis and who I'd have to keep on to help with them was a person I couldn't stand. Add in wanting to buy a house and things just kept falling apart from there.

It would be nice to get paid for this stuff but all in all I'm probably happier here. Im glad my posts have helped out and that you like them. Sometimes I'm afraid they're a little long winded from trying to make them foolproof.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 47yok
Overdriven -
You should have your own hobby shop. Your knowledge and ability to explain by the written word is amazing.
Impressive to say the least. I have my xxl2e and I can work on it with a feeling of confidence thanks to your current and previous posts.
Many, many thanks.
I would also second this! He has helped me on two trucks and like you say his written text is so good and the knowledge is awesome.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Sorry I missed this post, haven't been checking in much lately. The answer is a big fat No.

I have an empty LST trans case and I just eyeballed it with a loose 8ight center diff I have around. The LST/8ight diff cup will fit inside the trans, there's even enough length for it. There's two problems though. First is the fact the bevel gear used on the output shaft (let's call it the ring gear just like in a front or rear diff) of the trans is a much smaller diameter than a normal ring gear, it's actually about equal in size to the diff cup. So there's no way of attaching the diff cup to the ring gear on the output shaft. The second problem is the intermediate shaft and the bevel gear on it (let's call it the pinion) that drives the ring gear. The pinion gear occupies the space that you'd want to put the diff cup. Shortening the intermediate shaft to move the pinion away is not an option as that would require a new bearing support in the trans case that's not there and a custom machined ring gear that's larger. Since there's no way to make room for a larger ring gear that's out. So we're still at a big fat no, it's not possible.
Ok thanks for that info. I can then bag this idea and avoid spending money on a tranny just to test and fail. I will keep my old setup. It's fun exploring ideas though.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
I would also second this! He has helped me on two trucks and like you say his written text is so good and the knowledge is awesome.
I don't remember helping that much with the Emaxx, but if you say so. Either way happy to contribute.

Originally Posted by themanwithnonam
Ok thanks for that info. I can then bag this idea and avoid spending money on a tranny just to test and fail. I will keep my old setup. It's fun exploring ideas though.
Brainstorming and exploring ideas is actually one of my favorite things. That and custom fabrication to try and implement those ideas.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Fixing tire foam.

Got home today from work and cleaned up some stuff.
Then in the back room my girlfriend had a mattress pad rolled up. I sqeezed it and it was semi firm.
I thought hum. Went and measured tires. I could could cut it ti width. Yup. Thickness it was thin. Then I thought I'll double it up. And use duct tape to hold it. So I did 1 tire. It actually felt good. Seems like it would work really good. So I did all 4. I think it is better foam than what was there. I hope to get to run it on sunday. Tomorrow I got to split some wood and stack it.
Just don't tell the girlfriend where her Xtra bed foam went. Lol.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Got my parts today. Rain came through so stopped splitting wood. Fixed the xxl2e and ran it. The new tire foams work great. Turning is better. Landing is better. I think I can turn shocks down a little now. Even the balooning seemed to be less. Even got a full 360 degree spin out of it on wet blacktop.
Almost got 720 but not quite. I think it dried to much till I got the nerve up. Next time.
Have fun everyone.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Default Excellent first rc.

Just wanted to update.
Losi's xxl2e is an excellent first rc. I've had not 1 problem with design or toughness. Not 1.

Just to recap. And remember I'm new to this.
Bent or broke 6 sets of steer tierods.
It's comes up on things faster than you think. Or the rocks and oak trees moved. Either way I'm getting better.
Bent 2 front axles.
From aforementioned oak trees.
On the 2nd frt bumper, again oak trees.

On some impacts I was amazed. I thought diffs and frame and everything else in between. Nothing but minor stuff.

Still have not broken a stock diff. That by itself is awesome.

The losi xxl2e is the best. Tough strong and we'll engineered. It's the best teacher. Not to mention a lot of fun.

I still have new parts I haven't needed.
OK you get the idea.
Till something major breaks. See ya.
Run em hard.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds good! My experience is like yours, but instead of tie rods, I haven't broke or bent any, I broke two shock shafts, and bent one more. I have bent a front drive shaft, bought a new one and bent old one back for a spare, and ground down my body mounts. No diff issues at all. I agree . My jumping is tough on the suspension I think. Kraton is my answer to the jumping, and will use LST for more general bashing. I'm going on a road trip to Mt. Rushmore in an RV with the whole family tomorrow, taking the LST, going to bash along the way. Goal is to somehow bash in the bad lands on the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.