Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree30Likes

Losi XXL2-E

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I didn't realize those were discontinued. I just bought some yesterday at my LHS...
Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Slipper solutions?

Hi guys.
I've had my XXL2-E out about 10 times , and have replaced the Slipper twice already. Is there an upgrade that doesn't melt like the stock one?
Other than that, The truck is awesome.

I'm running on 5S, and haven't been thrashing it too bad.
The slipper on my LST aftershock with a .28 lasts for years...
BR Jerry
Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by witman69
Hi guys.
I've had my XXL2-E out about 10 times , and have replaced the Slipper twice already. Is there an upgrade that doesn't melt like the stock one?
Other than that, The truck is awesome.

I'm running on 5S, and haven't been thrashing it too bad.
The slipper on my LST aftershock with a .28 lasts for years...
BR Jerry
you got your slipper set too loose. Tighten it up all the way, then back it off a quarter turn and locktite the nut. your good to go.

trout
Old 08-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

and use a bit locktide.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

I just bought a lst (1) wich i am going to convert to brushless. I already have a new xxl 2e. So thinking about to keep the short wheelbase instead of going the xxl route. What do you folks advice. Will a short wheelbase handle the brushless as good as the xxl. I am thinking about short wheelbase, beetle body and some truggy tyres. So it will fit in between my losi xxl and kyosho mad force. However i have all the stuff to convert to xxl if that is better for brushless power.
I would not use a lot of the second hand lst in that case. Bought it for 80 euro complete rtr limited edition aftershock version. What do you think
Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

what kind of motor are you going to use?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wesleyroy
I just bought a lst (1) wich i am going to convert to brushless. I already have a new xxl 2e. So thinking about to keep the short wheelbase instead of going the xxl route. What do you folks advice. Will a short wheelbase handle the brushless as good as the xxl. I am thinking about short wheelbase, beetle body and some truggy tyres. So it will fit in between my losi xxl and kyosho mad force. However i have all the stuff to convert to xxl if that is better for brushless power.
I would not use a lot of the second hand lst in that case. Bought it for 80 euro complete rtr limited edition aftershock version. What do you think
At one point I had both a LST2 and XXL at the same time, both with Castle 1717 on 6s. Personally I like the XXL length, in part because of the amount of power I had. The XXL is a little more stable overall and doesn't wheely quite as easily. Plus if you have good servos you don't notice the steering being any slower or less responsive like you might expect with a longer chassis. But if you have the parts to try both long and short chassis why not see for yourself? Only thing you'll lose is some wrenching time.

You mention the new truck being a LST1 and there are some concerns with that. As you probably know the LST2 (and later XXL trucks) have stronger suspension arms, knuckles and axles. The LST1 versions of these are fine for brushless but the standard 14mm hex is not. You will strip the hex inside the wheel in minutes. Then if you're like me you'll glue the hex in the wheel and then spin the drive pin inside the hex, again within minutes. In my opinion it's not worth it to go through the hassle of getting 17mm hex on the LST1 as there aren't any made specifically for the LST1. Better to just spend the time and money to upgrade to LST2 spec where everything is stronger and just bolts together without fuss.

The only other drawback to the LST1 is the diffs. Early LST1's have plastic outer diff cases and these can flex shredding ring and pinions. The other thing is from the factory only XXL trucks have the HD diff cups with the steel inserts for the spider gear cross pins. Properly shimmed a non HD diff will hold up really well, just not as long as a HD. Btw the only difference between HD and non HD is the diff cup, the rest of the components are the same.

Last edited by Overdriven; 08-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

I finally took a short video to show the finished steering upgrade. Here is a link to view the "No servo saver MOD" for my XXL2E - It's turning absolutely amazing now... Running dual Spektrum S6290 servos - NO SERVO SAVERS with Integy 16mm horn - 2 washers increasing the height to mate perfectly with the standard linkage. Also running a Mamba X so I could run high voltage 8V to the servos (or you could use a BEC with standard ESC and achieve the same or better results).
overview of mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_4uly15gY
showing turning on the ground:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3q05hvZCtY
and finally an overview of the trucks mods thus far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zsUXCBev9k

Thanks Overdriven for the guidance.

Last edited by RhinoC; 08-30-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: incorrect link
Old 08-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rhino and OVerdriven for the reply. I am going to change the arms to the xxl version. Already have a set complete ready. (arms, hubs, spindles, axles).

Also have a set of (only two) red aluminium shockbodys laying around wich i am going to change also.

That 1717 was a bit expensive for me, (i already feel i have more then enough power in my stock losi lst2e). So going for something like that.

I am considering this combo. Hobbywing EzRun Max8 V3 150A Brushless ESC w/ T-Plug / 4274 2200KV Motor / LED | eBay

I have a stock lst2 xxl motor mount as a spare laying around, saves me to buy some expensive body mount. Last year i bought a big lot of losi lst parts of somebody who sold is lst.

So as far as i know i still need for the conversion, the single speed hub, batterytray, spurgear, pinion gear. And from what i understand the Aftershock already has the FOC installed. But going to check it out.

Found out its a Aftershock limited editon. WIch have some cast aluminium diff cases. Losi: Aftershock Monster Truck RTR Limited Edition: Losi (LOSB0012LE). But also have one used red casing laying around also.

Also have some yellow losi springs for it. Going to use 4s. I like the 4s in my lst 2e. and its easy because i also use 4s in my Kyosho Mad Force (2x 2s)

Also need to look for some nice wheels and tyres. Like the new MT Sweep wheels, but i guess these are more onroad oriented.

For my xxl 2e i went with Louise RC

Next to my Kyosho.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Overdriven, by hd diff cups do you mean these? Are the bevel gears oke of the lst1?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-he...osb3528/p22791
Old 08-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Rhino, nice servo mod you have there, thats some serious servo power. Do you have trenchers on your lst? How do they run compared to stock?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the 17mm hex I used a set from a revo 1.5mm spacer and they fit perfect no wiggle wobble or any play. I'm running trencher X's with a 1500kv motor

If I I had all the xxl gear to swap I would though
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have 2 extra red shocks if you need them to complete the build let me know. Ill hook you up super cheap.

Yea I have the trenchers (not trencher X) and I really like them. They are narrower than stock and they handle really well. I switched to them because I run a small tight short course very close to the house and they along with the servo upgrade have made it very achievable where as before my truck really struggled to stay on the track. I have the trencher X for just bashing and they are nice too, just not quite as nimble. but for bashing I like the way they feel maybe softer feel? They are also noticeably heavier and makes for better flips and air maneuverability... I like the look of the Louis RC tires kind of like Badlands from proline... I have yet to try them but I run the smaller ones on my losi SCTE ten. good luck with the build, sounds like you have a good grip on things.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wesleyroy
Overdriven, by hd diff cups do you mean these? Are the bevel gears oke of the lst1?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-he...osb3528/p22791
Yes those are the HD (Heavy duty) diff cups. The rest of the differential parts are the same across all LST's. So as long as all your LST1 gears are in good shape you can use them in the HD diff cups. Also all diff cases are cast aluminum and the same dimensionally, Aftershock got natural finish other models got anodized blue or red.

The Aftershock does have the Forward only conversion installed already. The transmission also has the same internal gearing as the XXL2e. The stock Aftershock 2nd gear spur is 63T so unless it's chewed up you don't need a new spur gear.

I'm a little confused by the wording in your previous post, what motor mount do you have? The XXL2e mount only works on the XXL2e chassis due to the different bolt pattern and positioning relative to the spur gear. The only other motor mount made by Losi is the Blue anodized Conversion Kit mount. Ever had Hobbywing products myself but I hear good things, I think you'll be happy with that combo.

Little tip for mounting the battery tray on a shorter chassis. Leave the throttle/brake and reverse servo mounts in place and mount the tray to them. This will help you clear the back of the steering servo(s). There really isn't enough room up front for the battery tray to sit directly on the chassis it needs to be raised up slightly.

Final note. I didn't mean that you should run a 1717 or a particular battery voltage. I mentioned my power combo in the interest of full disclosure as it did influence my impression of the short chassis vs the longer chassis.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grabbem88
On the 17mm hex I used a set from a revo 1.5mm spacer and they fit perfect no wiggle wobble or any play. I'm running trencher X's with a 1500kv motor

If I I had all the xxl gear to swap I would though
I did a test fit of Traxxas 17mm hex on the LST1 stub axle as well. If you have or are willing to make the spacer then there is no reason it won't work just fine. Otherwise you're stacking a whole lot of shims and or washers, trying to make sure they only touches the inner race of the bearing, etc. I love fab work and tinkering but I didn't feel it worth persuing.

All depends on the boat you're in and what is best for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.