Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly, the only things I would do to this truck a second time out of the box is stiffen the front suspension and shoe-goo or fiberglass the stock body. The shock tower can simply be hammered back into shape as far as I can see, mine is bent but not by much, just enough to move the body posts a bit and have a noticeable curve. Not sure if its worth it to double the tower up yet, you'll also need longer screws and everything.

Misfit: The stock mounting option are few and mostly based around truggy bodies. I'll let you know on Monday or Tuesday if my body fits or not.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Parts finally in .
Real easy to change out the bearings all around , changed the shock oil
put associated 80wt up front 70wt in the rear . took out and ran a 4c 5800 pack thru and truck ran great .Put in a 2nd pack and 5 minutes in I landed on back completely flat and snapped the wing mount Had to be the softest crash of the run . Think I'll just get some flat stock and bolt it on either side and see how that works .
Attached Thumbnails Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-wing-break.jpg   Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-wing-mount.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I still haven't snapped the wing off yet. But I did notice if you let the inner front knuckle bearings blow out. It will split the knuckle on top of the outer bearings from the pressure. Only parts I need to get now is 2 front knuckles and a upper arm. Because the ball keep pulling out on bad landings. Not to bad for 17 packs through it.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Had my first casualty today. Blew out the inner front knuckle bearings which also took out the knuckle from the bearing blowing up as others have stated. going to swap out all the bearings and order new knuckles. Anyone know who has the front knuckles in stock?

Last edited by Misfit138; 11-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Pretty much the three confirmed weak points on the truck are the wing mount, knuckle bearings, and the ESC for the unlucky ones.

With the wing, I left the center horizontal support piece out since that is where it snapped at last time, we'll see if we have better luck there. Other than that, maybe it would be good to make some kind of magnet based wing mount? Something that could hold under normal circumstances but on a crash that would really break it, it just pops off. it might get annoying, but it would be better than replacing it every time.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Whats the deal with the knuckle bearings? Are they crap bearings or just too small for the application?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Definitely an upgrade area . Not sealed so lets lots of crap into em if you don't keep on top of em . My sealed replacements holding up great . For the amount of abuse this machine can handle its amazing how little needs to be upgraded to keep it going .
My Revo has hundreds in upgrade parts(only replaced as broken) just to keep it together as well as a basically stock kraton . Will soon see how the proline mt holds up to the abuse compared to these two .
Old 11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Oh ok, well that's an easy fix then if its just crap bearings. For the price i'll just upgrade them after 4-5 packs to avoid any problems.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Shawner85
Oh ok, well that's an easy fix then if its just crap bearings. For the price i'll just upgrade them after 4-5 packs to avoid any problems.
The bearing measures 15x21x4, so they're a bit on the thin side, but lots of vehicles use that size as well. Honestly, If you just pick some spares up then it shouldn't be a problem, you'll just pull the knuckle off and toss them in.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Crap bearings for sure. Mine didn't just fall apart the outer race split.
Attached Thumbnails Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-005.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah i think i'll just throw some new bearings in it and call it a day. Looks like it uses the same bearings as my rc8.2e which i assume is the same as the rc8t so quality bearings should hold up fine. Getting my avid order together now
Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Brace yourselves for the 11-5 driving report:
I took the truck out for 10 mins and did some small jumps, just around 4 ft high and 15-20 feet long. Either way, you can't win them all I guess.

Stock wing mount broken off in the SAME EXACT place as last time.

Time to mess with the center diff and check everything. I opened it and cleaned up everything.

Hmmm…

Both pins on both sides just exploded

All the gears are fine.

To stop that from happening, some hardened tool bits would probably work. My Traxxas pins were small and had a lot of play, so I fear the same would happen if I was to replace them right this second.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's always the diffs! My MT4 eats diff gears when I run 6s through it. Guys will post on forums that their MT4 can handle 6s. I think those people are just easy on the throttle. What fun is 6s if you gotta drive easy? For me the amazing part of running 6s in my MT4 is backflips from a dead stop and doing a backflip when moving forward. On 6s I can be rolling along at a pretty good clip and mash the throttle and do a backflip and land on the wheels and keep going. The bad part is doing this destroys the diffs. I've built and shimmed and rebuilt my diffs countless times. I've given up on it. I ran 4s for almost a year before buying a 6s battery and never had diff problems. Bought the 6s pack and found out it can't really handle it. Maybe some day someone will make a truck that can actually handle 6s without babying it.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Micah78
It's always the diffs! My MT4 eats diff gears when I run 6s through it. Guys will post on forums that their MT4 can handle 6s. I think those people are just easy on the throttle. What fun is 6s if you gotta drive easy? For me the amazing part of running 6s in my MT4 is backflips from a dead stop and doing a backflip when moving forward. On 6s I can be rolling along at a pretty good clip and mash the throttle and do a backflip and land on the wheels and keep going. The bad part is doing this destroys the diffs. I've built and shimmed and rebuilt my diffs countless times. I've given up on it. I ran 4s for almost a year before buying a 6s battery and never had diff problems. Bought the 6s pack and found out it can't really handle it. Maybe some day someone will make a truck that can actually handle 6s without babying it.
What about 5s? Also in this case, I've only checked the center diff, the front and rear are still unopened. Hopefully the gears do hold up, but those pins definitely couldn't handle it.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sneetches
What about 5s? Also in this case, I've only checked the center diff, the front and rear are still unopened. Hopefully the gears do hold up, but those pins definitely couldn't handle it.
I never bought a 5s pack. I went from 4s to 6s. To be honest my MT4 has been sitting at the end of my workbench all summer with broken diffs. I got tired of fixing it and running 4s just wasn't nearly as fun after running 6s. Basically the 6s spoiled me with power! I've been running my nitro powered RC8T all summer and plan on getting the MT4 back together soon with the weather turning crappy. Does the Kraton have the power to do backflips from a stand still? So far I haven't seen any in anyone's videos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.