Search
Like Tree20Likes

Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I've heard a few different people confirm that the most recent Kratons going out have fixed the front wheel bearing issue by beefing up the front knuckles so they don't crack and destroy the bearings. Also, Arrma has beefed up the stock wing mounts as well.
Mine is brand new, arrived at the LHS last week. Wing mount didn't cause any problems, although I didn't bash it too hard in the first 10 minutes.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I've heard a few different people confirm that the most recent Kratons going out have fixed the front wheel bearing issue by beefing up the front knuckles so they don't crack and destroy the bearings. Also, Arrma has beefed up the stock wing mounts as well.
That would explain why my bearings and wing mount are holding up despite some decent abuse. Would be nice if someone could post pics of original and revised parts to confirm. I wonder if the ESC has been improved as well.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Tech Initiate

thats great news, hopefully when i order mine its the new revision and yes photos would help so i can determine that
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

It appears mine was built mid-switch. I have replaced all the wheel bearings with some quality sealed bearings, but kept the 3 intact original bearings for emergency use. One bearing (with the smooth edge) spins smoothly, the other 2 (with notched edges) are almost impossible to turn. Seems I got 1 updated bearing and 3 bad ones.

All 4 outer wheel bearings are notched, 2 are locked up. Luckily, they were replaced as well.
Attached Thumbnails Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-img_20150206_233546.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I just received my Kraton 8-9 days ago and all of my wheel bearings are the "smooth edge" ones. This thread inspired me to go take a look at them lol. I didn't even know that ARRMA came out with new versions of certain parts for the Kraton until i stumbled upon the posts in here.

Well, it does seem like ARRMA is actually listening to what people want and are actually trying to fix some of the issues that people have been vocal about. Though i will say i think a lot of the people who said they "hated" it were just looking for any excuse to complain and/or were most likely trolling because a lot of the people i noticed always trashing on it had only a couple of posts, just signed up and were posting the same stuff at several of the other big RC forum sites.

Personally, i love mine so far and honestly it's above and beyond what i could of hoped for. I mean, it's not 100% perfect (because nothing is) but there are only a few small upgrades and accessories that i want to get for it. I might eventually make up an excuse so i can upgrade to a CC 2200KV Motor and an MM2, Tekin RX8 Gen2, or Hobbywing Xerun 150A ESC so i can make it even more of a beast than it already is but i probably won't do any big upgrades for awhile.

The only other "big" upgrade i can think of that i will probably get for it someday is a higher end Servo, but i'll fine with the stock one for now until i actually need to replace it.

I'd like to also try and find a picture of the new wing mount, so i can check to see if i have the new version of that on my Kraton as well.

Is there anything else that has been rumored to have been fixed/upgraded by ARRMA recently?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Delmrus
I'd like to also try and find a picture of the new wing mount, so i can check to see if i have the new version of that on my Kraton as well.

Is there anything else that has been rumored to have been fixed/upgraded by ARRMA recently?
Post up a pic of your mount . we can then compare to an old mount .
Heard they upgraded front knuckles also .
Old 02-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any word if they updated the esc? I want to get a roller at this point if not.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by maslin
It appears mine was built mid-switch. I have replaced all the wheel bearings with some quality sealed bearings, but kept the 3 intact original bearings for emergency use. One bearing (with the smooth edge) spins smoothly, the other 2 (with notched edges) are almost impossible to turn. Seems I got 1 updated bearing and 3 bad ones.

All 4 outer wheel bearings are notched, 2 are locked up. Luckily, they were replaced as well.
My Kraton is among the first shipped after they became available again in January. The outer wheel bearings on mine are all like the segmented one in your photo. All four still spin smoothly and have been through nothing but wet, dirty terrain with no service since I received it. Not refuting your suggestion, but wondering if perhaps it was something to do with assembly, e.g., maybe a lack of grease on the older Kraton wheel bearings.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxbraketorque
My Kraton is among the first shipped after they became available again in January. The outer wheel bearings on mine are all like the segmented one in your photo. All four still spin smoothly and have been through nothing but wet, dirty terrain with no service since I received it. Not refuting your suggestion, but wondering if perhaps it was something to do with assembly, e.g., maybe a lack of grease on the older Kraton wheel bearings.
Who knows, mine is about as new as it gets, arrived last Monday. I wonder if the serial numbers go in order or anything.

Out of 8 wheel bearings 7 are notched. One blew up, 3 are seized, 3 are crunchy and 1 is perfectly smooth. The smooth one is the one with a solid race.

As far as I'm concerned, all the bearings should be replaced, the complete kit from fast eddy is $22. I've had this thing for a week and only run it for 10 minutes, due to a $1 bearing.

Last edited by maslin; 02-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chipmonk
Any word if they updated the esc? I want to get a roller at this point if not.
I would get a roller. That is what I did and I updated all the discussed weak points. I made my own roller pins in the diffs updated all bearings I ordered the new front hubs with the thicker ends shimmed all the diffs and used the mamba monster 2 and 2200kv motor. I kept the stock servo (came with roller) and I bought badlands and the stock Kraton wheels and tires. It cost me about $650 to build it. Yes it is more than the rtr but when I bought jt there was no talks of an updated Kraton coming out and I didn't want to risk getting a bad one. I like putting my rc's together myself anyways.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Ran through a pair of 5200mah 2s lipos, no wheel bearing issues. No problems at all actually, I'm pretty impressed.

Gotta learn to ease off the throttle, it traction rolls hard if you let off mid drift.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

A little off topic and kind of a dumb question but I am going to run 5s and I will have to stack the batteries because they just can't fit side by side in the tray. But I need a Velcro strap to go around the Batteries the long way. Can someone point me to where I can get a strap that long? It will need to be pretty long probably 24-26 inches long. I saw this battery lock fastener stuff on amain but I can't tell if thT is Velcro or what that is. Can I use that?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I would get a roller. That is what I did and I updated all the discussed weak points. I made my own roller pins in the diffs updated all bearings I ordered the new front hubs with the thicker ends shimmed all the diffs and used the mamba monster 2 and 2200kv motor. I kept the stock servo (came with roller) and I bought badlands and the stock Kraton wheels and tires. It cost me about $650 to build it. Yes it is more than the rtr but when I bought jt there was no talks of an updated Kraton coming out and I didn't want to risk getting a bad one. I like putting my rc's together myself anyways.
That's what I want to do. I'm pretty much sold on a truggy so now it's down to either the kraton or a losi eight t. I'm leaning kraton but will have to get a roller.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chipmonk
That's what I want to do. I'm pretty much sold on a truggy so now it's down to either the kraton or a losi eight t. I'm leaning kraton but will have to get a roller.
There is a Roller on eBay right now for 240 with shipping incl. Obo. I paid 220 for mine about a month ago. The one on there now is the newer one so it will already have the updated axle carriers and I think I saw the wing mount was updated on the newer released model as well. And I'm sure you can get the electronics on the for sale forum here. There is a brand new mamba monster 2 or 120 just posted today.
Does anyone know if the updated wing mount is worth buying? I haven't busted the original one yet because I haven't driven the truck yet but I don't want to waste money on something that is just as poor of a design asthe original.

Last edited by Slapjack; 02-09-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapjack
There is a Roller on eBay right now for 240 with shipping incl. Obo. I paid 220 for mine about a month ago. The one on there now is the newer one so it will already have the updated axle carriers and I think I saw the wing mount was updated on the newer released model as well. And I'm sure you can get the electronics on the for sale forum here. There is a brand new mamba monster 2 or 120 just posted today.
Does anyone know if the updated wing mount is worth buying? I haven't busted the original one yet because I haven't driven the truck yet but I don't want to waste money on something that is just as poor of a design asthe original.
Thanks for the heads up, i probably cant swing it until friday but if it is still there im all over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.