Wiki Posts
Search

best monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by jfc_tech
pinifarina...nice savage...well done. i noticed the pictures are in Singapore website...are u a singaporean??
Yes, they're
Old 03-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

with hpi's savage rims....

Old 03-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

I've seen one of those 1/5 scale m/t's at the lhs.........I do like the size of them but thats about all I like. They wouldn't be any good for racing at all though. They're heavy as heck, there is no class for racing them, and I seriously wouldn't jump one like I jump my Savage or LST. I am sure something would break!!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Default LST Super Truck RTR w/XS3 & .26

bad ass LST
Old 03-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Horatio, I agree. Thats why I have a Savage and a LST. I'm going to be dipping into 1/5 on road racing this season, and if you checked cost, I don't think it will allow you to do any other form of racing.

Mike M, I disagree with your opinion on the durability of the MT-5. The damn thing is pretty solid, and I haven't broke anything yet. I don't know if it is as stout as my Savage yet, but it definitely is tougher than my LST.

Back to the LST vs. Savage issue. They are both great trucks. The LST being the newer design, is more fancy and advanced, and will have its quirks. It will kill a stock Savage on the track, and driving them both is a day and night different, but LST's are not as solid as the Savage. A tire change on the Savage will turn it into a different monster.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by VictionOne
Horatio, I agree. Thats why I have a Savage and a LST. I'm going to be dipping into 1/5 on road racing this season, and if you checked cost, I don't think it will allow you to do any other form of racing.

Mike M, I disagree with your opinion on the durability of the MT-5. The damn thing is pretty solid, and I haven't broke anything yet. I don't know if it is as stout as my Savage yet, but it definitely is tougher than my LST.

Back to the LST vs. Savage issue. They are both great trucks. The LST being the newer design, is more fancy and advanced, and will have its quirks. It will kill a stock Savage on the track, and driving them both is a day and night different, but LST's are not as solid as the Savage. A tire change on the Savage will turn it into a different monster.
FG monsters are nice, healthy, thing to lust after!! My mate has one but due to restrictions at our venue, he is unable to even demonstrate it between rounds Those marders have got a fair turn of speed too! Sound nice too - you get a good rasp from those new engines.

The LST certainly seems a more nimble truck, despite it's size, and the Mach .26 gives the LST more straight line performance too. And those shocks are just awesome!!

What you said about the tyre change - it's so true!! A lowered Savage, with modified steering, brakes and driveshafts along with 40 series wheels and tyres certainly is a far cry from the handling you get out of the box with a .25 RTR or .25 SS. The new SS 4.6 addresses all these issues and offers a killer little engine too...........

Mike:

For what it's worth - those FG Trucks are darned heavy and they seem to have a mind of their own. That's probably why people don't even attempt to race them....yet!! Just find a wide open space and set them free - it's a different ball game.

Regards

Horatio
Old 03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Your both right. Thats one of the first things I changed on both (the Savage and LST) were the tires..........they should come with lower profile tires outta tha box! The 2nd thing I changed was the engines! LOL, I'm a male and can never have enough or too much horsepower! LMAO!!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mike m
.....LOL, I'm a male and can never have enough or too much horsepower! LMAO!!
Exactly right!! More BHP = More Fun!!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mike m
Your both right. Thats one of the first things I changed on both (the Savage and LST) were the tires..........they should come with lower profile tires outta tha box! The 2nd thing I changed was the engines! LOL, I'm a male and can never have enough or too much horsepower! LMAO!!
bro comparing the LST,savage and mgt... which would be better to perform in a track without having too much modification? i'm thinking to buy a new monster truck, reading forums as of the moment.. as of now, want to buy an mgt or savage because of their durability... from the looks of its chassis seems it is very durable... considering also the newer LST..
Old 03-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

The MGT handles pretty good and is reputed to be very well made. From my point of view, the MGT just seemed a little uninspiring and too similar to the Tmaxx in appearance.

The LST is certainly faster than the Savage .25 in a straight line. It is also slightly bigger yet remains a similar weight to the Savage. The LST's gearbox is quite clever, with high and low ranges. Generally it would seem the LST handles pretty good. But all the local LSTs where I live have had minor technical issues where in each case, the LHS has had to get stuff under warranty. Hopefully, newer versions will have had revisions made.

If Savage is on your list, make sure it's the 4.6 version. Although it costs a little more, you get many uprated parts - better steering, driveline, diffs, brakes, wheels/tyres, hi-flow airfilter - plus a .28 size engine that should kill all other trucks in a straight line. Should be a good all-rounder. One thing remains unchanged - the high CoG - just to keep you on your toes!!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

I've got a Savage, didn't bash it as hard as Dom... but I'm sure if I had the .28 it will sure be a power house
Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by pininfarina
I've got a Savage, didn't bash it as hard as Dom... but I'm sure if I had the .28 it will sure be a power house
Definitely!

I'm looking at dropping an STS .28 into my modified Savage SS. I reckon it would kick major butt on grass then!!

I'll have to keep my ported S 25 engine as a back up when I do. It's still running great after 10 Gallons!!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Horatio
Definitely!

I'm looking at dropping an STS .28 into my modified Savage SS. I reckon it would kick major butt on grass then!!

I'll have to keep my ported S 25 engine as a back up when I do. It's still running great after 10 Gallons!!
Nice, I would luv to get my hands on the STS.28.... anyone have a field report of STS on Savage?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Default I just dropped in the RB

I just dropped in the RB TM323 today, can't wait to break it in.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: I just dropped in the RB

Originally posted by Nitro_Crash
I just dropped in the RB TM323 today, can't wait to break it in.
Cool, heard RB are one of the best engine around... can't wait to hear your report