Like Tree102Likes

Atomic RC AMZ MiniZ Brushless 4wd Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does this spring set work for the AMZ?
http://atomicmods.com/atomic-awd216-...ng-spring-set/

Are there any other optional spring sets for the AMZ?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure about those ones. The AMZ uses the I.A.S. springs.

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/index....oducts_id=5181

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/index....oducts_id=5180
Old 11-23-2015, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you! I will get a set of the springs you posted.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Just after an opinion from someone with an AMZ... I'm looing at Kyosho Mini-Z's should I be buying an AMZ instead? I must say it looks a good little racing machine, but Kyosho come with the pedigree surely? Or am I being stupid? I had a Kyosho Mini-Z ages ago and fully modded it, what's the AMZ like for mod-ability?
Old 11-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by James_Dean
Just after an opinion from someone with an AMZ... I'm looing at Kyosho Mini-Z's should I be buying an AMZ instead? I must say it looks a good little racing machine, but Kyosho come with the pedigree surely? Or am I being stupid? I had a Kyosho Mini-Z ages ago and fully modded it, what's the AMZ like for mod-ability?
It's just another good competition for the AWD miniz's!
Any of them are good and have parts to play around with the "upgrade dease" thing!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

The last Mini Z I have experience with is an MR-02 with the stock radio. I haven't driven any of the newer models. Back then, I remember not being satisfied with it because there was a delay in response in comparison to my 1/10 scale cars.

With my AMZ I don't notice any delay. But then again, I'm using an Airtronics setup in my car rather than a stock radio. The car actually feels like driving a scaled down touring car to me. The AMZ has a good selection of upgrades and tunability to it. But then so does the Mini Z.

I would be curious to hear how a modern Mini Z compares to the AMZ. For sure the AWD Mini Z would cost a little more than the AMZ.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by golgi
The last Mini Z I have experience with is an MR-02 with the stock radio. I haven't driven any of the newer models. Back then, I remember not being satisfied with it because there was a delay in response in comparison to my 1/10 scale cars.

With my AMZ I don't notice any delay. But then again, I'm using an Airtronics setup in my car rather than a stock radio. The car actually feels like driving a scaled down touring car to me. The AMZ has a good selection of upgrades and tunability to it. But then so does the Mini Z.

I would be curious to hear how a modern Mini Z compares to the AMZ. For sure the AWD Mini Z would cost a little more than the AMZ.
I had an MR01! Had serious steering issues, it kept spinning out on me, probably because I was a bit too trigger happy with the throtle. See the newest model, the MR03, is meant to have a slower but more accurate servo, or so the sales pitch goes.

Another thing I wondered, with the 4WD AMZ, the battery appears to be set to the side? Ok its 4 wheel drive so should have better handling but isn't that shifting the centre of gravity off centre a bit? Compared to MR03 where the batteries are relatively central. Mind you AMZ has the 2WD option with the battery much more central.

I'm so torn! Also the big sales point for the AMZ was that it was 20% lighter. But thats not so against an MR03 as Kyosho reduced the weight so its now only 10 grams heavier... about 6%
Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

I had an MR01! Had serious steering issues, it kept spinning out on me, probably because I was a bit too trigger happy with the throtle. See the newest model, the MR03, is meant to have a slower but more accurate servo, or so the sales pitch goes.

Another thing I wondered, with the 4WD AMZ, the battery appears to be set to the side? Ok its 4 wheel drive so should have better handling but isn't that shifting the centre of gravity off centre a bit? Compared to MR03 where the batteries are relatively central. Mind you AMZ has the 2WD option with the battery much more central.

I'm so torn! Also the big sales point for the AMZ was that it was 20% lighter. But thats not so against an MR03 as Kyosho reduced the weight so its now only 10 grams heavier... about 6%
There are no tracks close to me that race this scale of cars. So I bought mine with the intent that I would run it at my convenience on my own RCP track on the days when I'm not racing 1/10 scale. If you have racing in mind, I would go with whatever your local tracks race and support.

With my AMZ, I mount the receiver on the top of the battery and then it balances it out pretty close. So, I haven't noticed any issues around balance.

If you decide to go with the AMZ 4wd or the AMR 2wd, then TinyRC.com has some great deals on these cars over this weekend. I'm not affiliated with them but did purchase mine (AMZ kit export version) from this shop about a year ago.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...137#post459137
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

I started with an MR01 in 2002 and have had dozens of Mini Zs. I still have some but, since I got the AMZ they've been shelf queens. I've always had a DIY track and have little run time on RCP so, It's not a factor for me.
I had an AWD Mini Z, tried to race it, tried to drift it, pulled the board and sold the parts, lol. I didn't like it compared to my MR02 at the time.
I loved all my years of running the Mini Z but, if the AMZ holds up as good as it has been and the parts support stays strong I believe my Zs will stay on the shelf. I will not miss stacking Fets, poor quality TXs and AAA batteries.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Sounds more and more like the AMZ is the way to go. Has anyone raced and MR03 and AMZ side by side? As in at the same time, obviously different driver skill levels, but for turns and speed do they compare? Is there any difference?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Had a chance to paint and try out a lexan body. It's much lighter than an autoscale but, doesn't offer the same level of protection during a side impact for my liking. Only have a small amount of run time so, we'll see how it goes.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default 10 month AMZ review

I’ve had the AMZ for several months and have tried different setups, bodies, and tires. Overall, I’m very happy with it. The speed, accuracy, and durability are great! The only mandatory upgrade was the metal motor mount. I also bought the pinion set, spur set, front tie rod set, and camber arm set for tuning. Other than that, I’ve not felt any need to buy the shiny metal upgrades as the stock stuff works very well.

I run my car primarily on my RCP track at home. I’ve got one friend who also is in the process of setting up his new AMZ and two others that recently got brushless Mini Z’s. So, I’m looking forward to actually racing rather than just practicing on my own. My home RCP track currently covers an area roughly 17’ x 12’. I just need to buy a few more blank tiles as I have plenty of the other pieces to increase track length by another 5 feet. I also take it with me sometimes to the big 1/10 scale carpet track I race at. It handles very well on both surfaces.

I started with a box stock setup and Atomic Lexan body. Most recently, I decided to try an autoscale body. I got the Audi R8 LMS and wow does it look cool! I also prefer how it drives with the additional weight of the autoscale body. One just has to be a little more careful about ride height, droop, and shock preload to avoid traction rolling tendency with the heavier body. But once adjusted, it’s very well planted and won’t traction roll. I now have no desire to go back to the lexan body. I’ll probably buy a couple more autoscale ones to try. Besides they look gorgeous just displayed in the case so if nothing else, the extras will look nice on the desk.

After trying some different tires, I’ve settled on the new PN Racing KS compound tires for RCP tracks. I use firm narrow fronts and soft wide rear tires. I’m running the default offset wheels for the R8 body.

Beyond tires, I’ve found the car also responds very well to setup changes such as camber, ride height, droop, shock dampening (grease or diff oil), shock angle, shock preload, and differential tightness. I’ve done a good amount of experimentation on the setup and believe it’s now very close to ideal for my driving style. Next, I’m going to buy a set of the new Atomic progressive rate springs for the AMZ so I can see how those affect the handling.

Searches for setup sheets for the AMZ have not yielded any results. Does anyone have any?

Here is a short video of it on my RCP track- https://youtu.be/JdyBzC5yr2E
Attached Thumbnails Atomic RC AMZ MiniZ Brushless 4wd Competitor-dsc04891.jpg  

Last edited by golgi; 12-23-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Atomic AMR

Not a 4wd but this is the AMZ AMR 2wd vs. the Mini-Z Sports Series
https://youtu.be/IPIqlSih3dM
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Golgi

Anymore updates on the Atomic amz?..
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Guys
I ordered the alu esc and a receiver (conpatible tot my Ko EX1fhss) from Banggood but now my servo had burned out. What is the best servo for the AMZ? Don't know if the receiver or esc have BEC onboard. Anyone can help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.