Associated Reflex 14B/14T >

Associated Reflex 14B/14T

Like Tree58Likes

Associated Reflex 14B/14T

Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Singletracksean View Post
Anyone get one yet? I just ordered a T.
Not yet but I see there available on ebay now.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

I had a chance to check out both the Truggy and Buggy Version.

The Buggy and Truggy version differ only in basically the body and the front wheels on the buggy being narrower. It is the same dimensions from what I can tell as the LC Racing EMB-1 Buggy.

The tires are fairly hard. The pins almost feeling harder than the other rubber. The shocks have a similar kind of look to the LC Racing ones. I think with some eyelet changes it would be possible to mount the shocks to the vehicle. I do feel you could mount LC Racing springs as a tuning option.

The vehicle also has droop screws that are kind of hidden in the chassis. we didn't notice them till the center diff was pulled to put different fluid in it.

The a-arms appear to have mounts for sway bars which would be useful for higher traction conditions.

The ESC is non-programmable. We tried a few different HW style programming cards but it would not drop into a mode that could be programmed. I called Reedy about this to find out if a programmer would be available but, it won't be. It also has a feel to it like there is a lot of current limiting or a very curved throttle curve. The ESC looks like a HW quicrun ESC, which from a few places is like $25.

The motor looks to be similar in size to the stock EMB-1 motor, so I don't see an issue with that.

All in all I think its a good first offering, with a few things namely that ESC I feel could have been done better.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

this is my first rc truck since a losi xxt that i used to race circa 2002. next video will be way better i promise. i usually use adope premier but i did this in windows photo editor lol. I also shot this in 120 fps for slo mo but again, windows photo editor. cheers. who else has one of these?

://yo utu . be/l4w9LtrwF0M

edit ^^ had to hax the link because im new

Last edited by sal the salmon; 11-17-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: hax
Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Legend

Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Picked up my Reflex last Friday, threw in a Futaba receiver and 2000mah Lectron pack, and hit the track with it on Saturday. Fun little truck, minus the very hard tires. After swapping out the stock shock oils for 20w front/10w rear, and several applications of Liquid Wrench on the tires to soften them up a bit, things were much better.

The tires were still not great even after the LW applications, but it was managing to get around the Tox Box track in New Richmond, WI fairly well. The diffs come with just a coating of grease in them, so it was diff'ing out bad to the front...tore the truck apart on Sunday, and installed 10k/10k/4k in the diffs, which should help as well.

The esc has a significant ramp up to the throttle, and doesn't seem to be adjustable at all. I have a Hobbywing 16BL30 esc on the way, which I hope will eliminate the laggy throttle.

Amazon Amazon

I also have some LS Racing truggy wheels coming, which should have the appropriate offset (10th buggy rears do not have enough offset to work properly), and will let me use 10th buggy tires for better grip.

LC Racing 1/14 Truggy Rim Pair of 2 White

Hopefully it wasn't a mistake to buy the Reflex over the LC truggy or Mini-8...I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Tech Legend

you find yourself in the Felton MN area we race mini's actively here. (vid of 1/10 vehicles but mini is our primary focus)

https://www.facebook.com/fmminiracers/

the LC Racing Rally tires are our go to tire here as they provide excellent grip, are relatively cheap for a mounted set, and need no sauce, just glue the front tire edges to give a bit more drift. They get better as they wear.
soSincerious likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Just got mine this week. One thing I can say is it handles amazing compared to my mini 8. I took the diffs apart last night to check for wear after 10packs and they seem to show no wear so far. Really liking this thing so far. As mentioned the stock tires are super stiff, I didn't bother with them so we threw on some EMB1 tires. The stock motor runs hot, and there is very little room for a bigger motor. Going to try to fit a 28mm, hopefully we can squeeze it in, but I doubt it. Worth a try though. Stock ESC feels like an on and off switch on throttle and the LVC is set a bit high. Swapped it out for a 35amp and problem solved. Stock radio wasn't for me as well, quickly swapped in my Futaba. Other than that it's a solid car overall.
soSincerious likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopone View Post
Just got mine this week. One thing I can say is it handles amazing compared to my mini 8.

The stock motor runs hot, and there is very little room for a bigger motor. Going to try to fit a 28mm, hopefully we can squeeze it in, but I doubt it. Worth a try though.
These are two of the biggest questions I have. I had a mini 8 for many years (all forms - buggy truggy DB) and really liked the platform overall (despite some weaknesses).

With this reflex 1/14, I am really curious to hear from folks that know the Losi platform about how this compares. Having a center diff should make a big difference. Can you share more on the handling compared to a mini 8?

The next big question is the motor. These rigs are always a bit underpowered. Where do you think the 28mm can will have the most interference?

Does it look like there might be an easy way to make room for a longer motor? The chassis does look a bit tight and the fact that they released a “truggy” that has the same dimensions as the buggy probably means no longer chassis is on the way.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by smirkracing View Post

These are two of the biggest questions I have. I had a mini 8 for many years (all forms - buggy truggy DB) and really liked the platform overall (despite some weaknesses).

With this reflex 1/14, I am really curious to hear from folks that know the Losi platform about how this compares. Having a center diff should make a big difference. Can you share more on the handling compared to a mini 8?

The next big question is the motor. These rigs are always a bit underpowered. Where do you think the 28mm can will have the most interference?

Does it look like there might be an easy way to make room for a longer motor? The chassis does look a bit tight and the fact that they released a “truggy” that has the same dimensions as the buggy probably means no longer chassis is on the way.

Handling wise, the 14b has alot more aggressive steering, while keeping the rear end planted. I did fill the diffs up with oil right out the box, with 7/5/3 though. I have not played with shock oils but the rear end does "chassis slap" every now and then but I'm sure with some more time we will get rid of that. I drive both cars back to back and the M8 felt very numb and understeered. I can never find the right set up to get the m8 to corner well and stay planted, it was either or. The 14b feels very balanced and handles much better Imo.
As far as the motor goes, you can fit a longer can, but a wider can looks like it might not fit. The stock motor and mount sit really close to the center drive shaft cover. I still haven't tried fitting the 28mm can, really doubt it will fit but I'll try it anyway. Hope this helps, cheers!

​​​​​​
Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

can someone link me some new mounted tires that will work well on my 14t? i did some wide open driving on asphalt and wore the fronts down pretty heavy but the LHS didnt have any options. id like to get a set of tires for tarmac and a set for loose dirt. also, i notice you guys are adding oil to the diffs. does that make it slip less? what type of oil should i get. thanks. i just got a maxamps 2250 100c (grade a fresh cell) pack for it.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

also, another video of my truck. i needed an excuse to do a low light test on this camera anyways. i couldnt help myself, ive been shoveling like a mad man to turn my garden into a dirt track for the winter. its about half done but its gonna snow soon and freeze up. htt ps://yo utu.be/8M_A9oGqU5k

maybe one of you kind folks can put a proper video link
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
can someone link me some new mounted tires that will work well on my 14t? i did some wide open driving on asphalt and wore the fronts down pretty heavy but the LHS didnt have any options. id like to get a set of tires for tarmac and a set for loose dirt. also, i notice you guys are adding oil to the diffs. does that make it slip less? what type of oil should i get. thanks. i just got a maxamps 2250 100c (grade a fresh cell) pack for it.
Im running LC Racing tires on an outdoor dusty track. They're a direct fit. As far as diff oil, yes it makes the car alot more stable. 7k Front 5k center 3k rear has been working well for me. Heres link for the LC Racing tires
Front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LC-Racing-12mm-Mounted-Front-Tire-Set-Yellow-for-EMB-1-EP-1-14-RC-Buggy-L6002Y-/202262591411?txnId=1724859802010
Rear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LC-Racing-12mm-Mounted-Rear-Tire-Set-Yellow-for-EMB-1-EP-1-14-RC-Buggy-L6001Y-/202262580720?txnId=1724859803010
Old 11-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 28mm motor fits!

So I stripped the stock spur gear today and grabbed the spare 70t out the parts bag. Figured I'll try fitting the 28mm and as you can see fits perfect! Going to order some spare 58t spur gears and try that next. Should run alot cooler and a bit more torque never hurts, I hope lol.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by snoopone View Post
Im running LC Racing tires on an outdoor dusty track. They're a direct fit. As far as diff oil, yes it makes the car alot more stable. 7k Front 5k center 3k rear has been working well for me. Heres link for the LC Racing tires
so i wanrt the buggy wheels? are they not narrower then the TA truggy stock wheel?

ill have to find some not on ebay, at least i know what i need now. ty

do u recommend a brand of diff oil?
Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Legend

you can find LC Racing parts at the warren RC site.

You can also use sedan wheels and the tire type you like from there too. LC Racing Rally tire sets work great.
I'd be curious if the LC Racing truggy motor would fit. pretty nice motor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service