Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini "M" Spec / Mini Modified

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are all silver can motors the same speed? Or do I have to buy 3, 4, 5 or 10 to find a good one? That $30 HK Trakstar motor is looking better and better.

It will be difficult for me to "invest" in a (or several) brushed silver can. I also really have no intention of running mod-mini.

And of course there's the problem of splitting up a 10 person class.

And of course there's the problem of summer coming and lower turnouts will be the norm for 3 or 4 months. I see 3 3 person classes coming soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
I don't have to bet and this isn't a pissing contest.....I have had my ass handed to me by guys running silvercan powered minis. Just talk to Eric at Harbor Hobbies, he has tested minis with both and agrees that silvercans are faster.
If there is a silver can out there that is faster than Stan's 21.5 in a straight line and it is TCS legal than I want to buy it.

Why are you guys still talking? If three guys get together and want to race a three wet rugs around the track they can do so.

If you can get three guys you can start what ever class you want. There is nothing wrong with that.

Like I said before there is no discourse here.

Count me in for mod mini.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Order your Red Dot Silver Cans, faster than a Johnson.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Elliott
Order your Red Dot Silver Cans, faster than a Johnson.
Sorry Jason, those are not TCS legal.

I'm not arguing, but:

I do agree with John. There should be a club stock 21.5 blinky mini class instead of Mod and a box stock class if we have to have a split. Oshkosh runs 2 and 4wd cars together, 21.5 or silver can and any tire with a diameter of the 60D or smaller. Mod is just not a good idea. These cars aren't designed for higher speed. We can argue up and down about parity between 21.5 and silver can. Honestly, there isn't with a 21.5 with the timing cranked up. As an example: The Integy Trackstar is the current hot ticket and when fully timed blows everything out of the water. So don't crank the timing! In its defense, that motor is inexpensive, runs cool and has excellent performance for it's $32.00 price tag. Pair that motor with a Justock, Cirtix or Reventon Club ESC and you have a $100 or less set that will last for years of club racing and put everyone on a level playing field. We can see the mini cars are getting too fast, so lets work on slowing them down instead. That can be managed with gearing and timing reductions regardless of chassis. Our skills may be different, but if we swapped cars with the new guys, would we still be able to be competitive with our own car's lap times in this class? They should be.

My apologies for another dissertation on sportsmanship. I understand the sentiment of those drivers who feel as if they can't win as the field is already skewed before they walk in the door.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
That can be managed with gearing and timing reductions regardless of chassis.
Who is going to manage everyone's gearing and timing reduction?

Two weeks ago I was a full lap off pace due to the "timing increases" of others. This week, I had a ballistic mini that wasn't fun to drive.

When you have no rules, or rules that aren't reasonably easy to enforce, rules that are too nebulous - any chassis, tires that are so big, timing about here, gearing that no one checks - it's the same as having no rules at all.

Who is going to be the person to marshall this stuff? No one has bothered since that first day, and yet everyone "magically" is getting faster?

There is no earthly reason why guys that have a desire to run a true spec class, should they have enough for a class, be permitted to do so. Why do you insist on denying them that? If you want little or no rules, run in an open/mod class.

So....anyone wnat to step up and be that guy who spends the afternoon checking/calculating gearing. rollout, weight, timing etc...?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

We tried the 'play nice and everyone limit themselves' way. It didn't work.

There will be 2 mini classes. Its done. Chose spec or mod and race.

I think the first person to show up with a reddot motor in spec has to where a skirt or a dunce cap.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Can't we all just get along and race on the honor system that no one is doing anything shady??? I'll have my mini ready with a silver can, and my 25.5 VTA. Get it together and let's race.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
So don't crank the timing!
Quote of the year!

Something something Pandora's box something...

"Mod" answers many questions in life:
Over drive gear set? no problem.
Boosted? no problem.
Double decker Fiber Glass/Carbon chassis? no problem.
Uber-sticky tires? no problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by celt
Who is going to manage everyone's gearing and timing reduction?

Two weeks ago I was a full lap off pace due to the "timing increases" of others. This week, I had a ballistic mini that wasn't fun to drive.

When you have no rules, or rules that aren't reasonably easy to enforce, rules that are too nebulous - any chassis, tires that are so big, timing about here, gearing that no one checks - it's the same as having no rules at all.

Who is going to be the person to marshall this stuff? No one has bothered since that first day, and yet everyone "magically" is getting faster?

There is no earthly reason why guys that have a desire to run a true spec class, should they have enough for a class, be permitted to do so. Why do you insist on denying them that? If you want little or no rules, run in an open/mod class.

So....anyone want to step up and be that guy who spends the afternoon checking/calculating gearing. rollout, weight, timing etc...?
I guess I'm idealistic and a bit naive when it comes to others policing themselves for the betterment of the race program. I have no issue with any class, but I had hoped that we had enough integrity as a group to handle tech on a personal level to grow the class regardless. If there must be a spec class, so be it, but the spec needs even more detail.

Not to be devisive, but as legitimate questions for the spec:

What upgrades will be allowed? My M06 currently has non kit screws, a 3Racing bearing set, steering rack and ball diff.

Do I have to run the ESC that came with the car or can I put in my LRP Quantum Sport?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Stock will just be a Tire/Motor/Chassis limit.
I have old $25 Novak Cyclones that (on paper) blow spec ESC's out of the water... They don't have reverse so I don't usually use them.
Regardless, that is not one of the uber-speed concerns.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GLwagon
Quote of the year!

Something something Pandora's box something...

"Mod" answers many questions in life:
Over drive gear set? no problem.
Boosted? no problem.
Double decker Fiber Glass/Carbon chassis? no problem.
Uber-sticky tires? no problem.
I'm sad it has come to this too. I will wear my catchers mask and softball glove to marshal, or do I need my goal keepers gloves?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Suspended

I believe a silver can m-chassis won last Sunday. Is this really a huge problem? Or is somebody having a bad day or something? Was this splitting of classes decision made by a vote? Who voted?

Perhaps taking the "1.5 lap oval" out of the track would fix this?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Suspended

I would say only durability parts be allowed in the spec class. No ball diff or items that can change suspension geometry for example.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JordanCatalano
I believe a silver can m-chassis won last Sunday. Is this really a huge problem? Or is somebody having a bad day or something? Was this splitting of classes decision made by a vote? Who voted?

Perhaps taking the "1.5 lap oval" out of the track would fix this?
Take away the long sections of track that allow higher speeds will take the top speed out of it....

Change the layout for this weekend, split the classes, and see what lap times look like

Then reevaluate if needed....
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I found it funny and very interesting that after Sunday's race and with just a few people remaining, a couple of people try to make a decision for the rest of the group.
Most of the people do not want to race mod mini... including myself.
It would be a bad idea to split the class- it's the end of the year.
The issue is about speed not about tires or a kit roller.
I need to know which motor I should get for my mini car. How about we have a vote on Sunday to see which motor we should all use. Then we can all race in the mini stock class.
Somebody should stop telling people that the decision has been made. Again, this is not tcs or tamiya only. I thought this problem was fixed a long time ago so can you please stop your bickering and let's just have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.