Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by boza
Unfortunately not many drifters in Calgary... Although I keep hearing rumors that there is a group of people that get together in parkades to drift. But it can only happen during spring/summer when the parkades are clean. if you havent been to calgaryrc.com then maybe try there.
cool thanks for the info. i will keep an eye out for them, or just get a group to gether and start somthing haha
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Lostinkorea
Hey guys,

Im looking for a drift LED kit. I would like to put it on a TT-01 but I know that really doesnt matter. What does matter is finding the right one. I like the kits bye the SD hobby guys but can only find the videos, the store link is down. Let me know if you know a good place to get a great under-body kit and a great headlight taillight combo with a bunch of fancy flashing!

Thanks!

LIK
here is what im running!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Thanks Josh!

Thanks for the response Josh nice car!

Brandon
Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Thanks you should see my other cars!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys. I've decided to revive my old tub tc4 for some drifting fun. The Tc4 doesn't have different size diff gears, so it looks like I'll just be doing 50/50. What would be a good starting set up(springs, shock oil, ride height, FDR, diff type) for this? Gotta get it fixed up first, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dan

Last edited by TC4Racer123; 03-26-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Well I got my car fixed and set up from information here except for the diffs so far. Still need to clean those out. Few questions. What tires are you all running? Will they fit on normql 26 mm wheels? Is there a procedure for putting them on? And around what turn motor should I be looking at? Just want something smooth and not too fast. thanks, Dan.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Peep it!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here are my drift body's
Green S15 ( Body of the month on rcdrift.nl )

little vid of my first time rc drifting
+ YouTube Video

And my latest creation ( under construction )
Hiace crewcab

Need more offset wheels and some details.
Hope you like them
Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

All of the drift cars I have seen in this forum are awesome!

I am new to RC anything and am mostly running a Traxxas Slash 4x4 on off road dirt tracks, but this drifting thing is really appealing to me.

Ever since I attended Formula-D at our local track I have been amazed by the seemingly chaotic style of driving on the edge and getting sideways with these cars that are in most cases, very scale looking.

I would like to get in to this, but I am not sure what I should be looking into buying. So naturally I have a few questions:

1. Is belt drive or shaft drive more suited for this?
2. I hate the look of the antenna sticking through the roof, so is there a reason drifters are only AM radio?
3. Are HPI and Yokomo the only names in the game when it comes to drifting?
4. Would I be better off to buy an RTR or spend the time building a drifter?

Thanks for your replies. I know only what I have read here and am still left with questions.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC4Racer123
Well I got my car fixed and set up from information here except for the diffs so far. Still need to clean those out. Few questions. What tires are you all running? Will they fit on normql 26 mm wheels? Is there a procedure for putting them on? And around what turn motor should I be looking at? Just want something smooth and not too fast. thanks, Dan.
HPI T-Drifts are the most common drift tyres to find, also they are 26mm and relatively easy to install (check you tube for visual how to's). As for motor, run anything between 12T - 20T would work very well. Just adjust gearing when it comes to more torque if necessary.

Originally Posted by Violent-J
I would like to get in to this, but I am not sure what I should be looking into buying. So naturally I have a few questions:

1. Is belt drive or shaft drive more suited for this?
2. I hate the look of the antenna sticking through the roof, so is there a reason drifters are only AM radio?
3. Are HPI and Yokomo the only names in the game when it comes to drifting?
4. Would I be better off to buy an RTR or spend the time building a drifter?

Thanks for your replies. I know only what I have read here and am still left with questions.
1. its an age old debate for drifters... shaft = easy to maintain and great for bashing (especially in parking lots)
2. no reason at all, most people are changing over to 2.4 so antennas sticking out are a thing of the past
3. Yokomo, Tamiya, HPI are the most popular ones, but there are many others...
4. depends on your budget really.... building one can be quite costly, but will be full custom .... RTR gives you everything you need, but usually basement line electronics and parts. It will cost more to hop up a RTR fyi!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

HPI T-Drifts are the most common drift tyres to find, also they are 26mm and relatively easy to install (check you tube for visual how to's). As for motor, run anything between 12T - 20T would work very well. Just adjust gearing when it comes to more torque if necessary.
Thanks! Whats a good ball park for FDR for say, a 17.5?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Price check guys- im looking to get into the scene but without killing the wallet on a car- electronics I dont mind spending the extra cash on to get a decent brushless setup.

Ive found a "like new" TC5, its missing the battery tie down, and the blue servo posts- No body either straight up roller. The guy is asking $150, im waiting to see if he will sell it for any less- Its on consignment at the LHS so the owner of the shop has to ask the kid selling it if he will come down. Am I lowballing him by asking to see if he will come down? Or is he asking too much at that price?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by beenaround
Price check guys- im looking to get into the scene but without killing the wallet on a car- electronics I dont mind spending the extra cash on to get a decent brushless setup.

Ive found a "like new" TC5, its missing the battery tie down, and the blue servo posts- No body either straight up roller. The guy is asking $150, im waiting to see if he will sell it for any less- Its on consignment at the LHS so the owner of the shop has to ask the kid selling it if he will come down. Am I lowballing him by asking to see if he will come down? Or is he asking too much at that price?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tuff-sale.html

Heres a roller. Doesn't say theres anything missings, so you wouldn't have to look for parts. And it comes with a decent motor. Just good for reference if nothing else. If your interested, message the guy and see if its complete and all.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks- ill send that guy a message. Looks like he has included a Vortex 17.5 which runs close to $100 new. Maybe the local is asking a little too much.

The shop has a brand new never run TA03 and one other rolling chassis which I could not tell what it was- but same time frame. I asked about buying them but the owner was like "you dont want those you cant get parts anymore for them". I didnt want to get too much into it with them about shopping online, I still like to go there and run the off road car.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

1. its an age old debate for drifters... shaft = easy to maintain and great for bashing (especially in parking lots)
2. no reason at all, most people are changing over to 2.4 so antennas sticking out are a thing of the past
3. Yokomo, Tamiya, HPI are the most popular ones, but there are many others...
4. depends on your budget really.... building one can be quite costly, but will be full custom .... RTR gives you everything you need, but usually basement line electronics and parts. It will cost more to hop up a RTR fyi!
Thank you for the reply. I just ordered an HPI Sprint 2 Drift. I am hoping to learn on this car then upgrade to the Flux Brushless instead of hopping up the Sprint 2. Maybe I can pass the Sprint down to my oldest boy if he takes an interest in this stuff. Right now it pales in comparison to video games I think. So until then it's off to enjoy the Sprint 2 when it comes in on Friday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.