Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

does anyone sell deep-dish rims?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

I've been racing for about 4 years now and its less and less fun. I'm gonna probably convert my car to drift. I run a TC3 with a Warpspeed demon chassis. What things should I get to go drifting (Tires, motors, etc.) Also could anyone give me a good setup for the TC3?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

anthony390 nice rims

Serandin do you have any close ups of the rims I ran at DTP?

Now that I've had a chance to test it, new (no asphalt runs) abs tires seem to work best on a ozite (ish) carpet track also being used for regular racing. Taped rubber tires are ok, but a bit on the sticky side. The guys who had rubber drift tires found the as to be better.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
does anyone sell deep-dish rims?

hpi, yokomo, kawada, tamiya, practicly everyone...just some may be hard to find
Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HK Racing Joe
I've been racing for about 4 years now and its less and less fun. I'm gonna probably convert my car to drift. I run a TC3 with a Warpspeed demon chassis. What things should I get to go drifting (Tires, motors, etc.) Also could anyone give me a good setup for the TC3?
oh yea another tc3 drifter ...(not down grading the other chassis its just more friends i can talk to about the tc3 chassis)

i belive paz runs the same warpspeed chassis or that might be for his carpet and he as another tub chassis for drifting...

get abs tires, gat any stock motor but if you can get a p2k2 or a monster... usually stock motors with higher tourqe is what you want for drifting.

as for a basic set-up to get you going, run both open diffs with the rear around .75 of a turn tighter than the front, the spring have the rear a set stiffer than the front but you want to stay on the softest set you can get for the drifting aplication..i would use green up front and silver in the back (green is the softer one right?)

and that should get you going
Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

oh yes i did run the blue warpspeed TC3 for one season and it was my worst season ever i just couldnt get it to work i had to shim the diff case up just to get the main shaft to line up with the spur outdrive thats y i got me a Evo 4MS looks like a warpspeed, its blue but, it works

wow i run my TC3 with hard springs yellow front and red on rear and 70wt all round but i am running a 7 single im running 0 degree of camber and toe in, full diffs, rubber tyres or yokomo drifts when im running the 19turn
Old 06-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by anthony390
well update on my car

check out my rear diff case, rear arms, and my rear hubs as well

tell me what u notice

Pictures Removed To Save Room...

im thinking of going back and fine shaping it
Just one quick question, was that so you could maintain the gears/keep an eye on wear, or was that to save weight? I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to find out for sure.

Also, does that mod make the rear shock tower any less rigid on the diff casing? It looks like it would flex the whole rear diff housing, but you're the one who did the mod so you tell me. Either way it looks sick, keep it up if it works good for you! I might have to do it just because I can't be anal enough with my diff gears...... they STILL strip out!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Manila drifters on youtube. No rehearsing and practicing for the camera. Just plain drifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tkKAbGNhpQ
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
Just one quick question, was that so you could maintain the gears/keep an eye on wear, or was that to save weight? I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to find out for sure.

Also, does that mod make the rear shock tower any less rigid on the diff casing? It looks like it would flex the whole rear diff housing, but you're the one who did the mod so you tell me. Either way it looks sick, keep it up if it works good for you! I might have to do it just because I can't be anal enough with my diff gears...... they STILL strip out!

well the real answer is for looks, weight saves, wear look, meshing, and it doesnt change the rigidy of it

when you said they still strip out do they actually get striped?...are you meshing them correct
Old 06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

can you drift with just rims and no tires>?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
yes you can
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default Not a good idea

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
Well, technically yes. However there are a few big problems with this.

1) Rims are a fairly soft thin plastic and will get destroyed quickly, once you've got a few cracks or chips in the edge your drift will suck (the gaps will catch on stuff and be a very inconsistent surface)

2) If you're running on carpet you'll probably slice lots of nice holes into it. Asphalt shouldn't be a problem other than issue 1).

ABS is cheap, provides long life, won't damage carpet (make sure the edges are rounded off both for carpet safety and for consistent drifts, a sharp edge will catch on asphalt or carper when cornering), and provides a nice flat and consistent surface area.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anthony,
Great job with the ABS! Looks good!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aries326
Anthony,
Great job with the ABS! Looks good!

thanks..i actually tried something new on the rear tires but after 3 runs i didnt like it anymore

what i did was shave the sidewall untill its constantly angled and after a nick the thinest area od the side wall (closest to the rim) would crack off and then show part of the rim

well now i know the best way...dont go over board on rounding your sidewall..if you ever need to round them again after it wears down just take of the whole wheel and then put it on a lathe
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys

I just finished my first racing season on carpet. Need something to have fun with after the races indoors - or at lunch outdoors.

I got a RS4 Rally (Electric) and a old 19T that I can refresh. Its a rally car - so its sits a little high.

Any recommendations for setup to start with.

Stiff or soft springs? Caster (not sure if its adjustable on this car)? Camber? Droop?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.