Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

MrBlack (or someone in-the-know),
I accidentally ran one of my platinums below the 6V cutoff...I rushed it to the charger right away and it showed 5.3V at the start of the charge.

It still took a 4787mah charge (same as it normally would take) and the cells still show a perfect balance with a multimeter...are there any other symptoms that could tell me whether or not I damaged the pack?

Also, what actually suffers when the "irreversible chemical reaction" takes place? run-time? avg voltage?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
I accidentally ran one of my platinums below the 6V cutoff...I rushed it to the charger right away and it showed 5.3V at the start of the charge.

It still took a 4787mah charge (same as it normally would take) and the cells still show a perfect balance with a multimeter...are there any other symptoms that could tell me whether or not I damaged the pack?

Also, what actually suffers when the "irreversible chemical reaction" takes place? run-time? avg voltage?
Charge with the balancer at a very low amp rate around .3 amp to allow it to charge/balance real slow.

If something is wrong it will swell up! Do not charge and in fact get the energy down in the battery to send back to manufacturer for inspection.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing

Hello Nexus,

Based on the specs given it sounds like you are OK , lucky but OK.

I have actually taken then down to as low as 4V ans been able to recover then this is rare and also very lucky.

5.3V is just below the 5.4V low spot that we recommend with our cells.

If the the cells are damaged symptoms are a loss of performance ( ie. capacity, voltage) in extreme damage conditions they will even swell.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by swopemike
[ edited : I put this question in the Advantage thread where it belongs .... ]

Question for Orion:

Hypothetically, if you made a 6000+ maH LIPO pack... would the Orion Advantage Carbon charge it OK?

Also, what happens if you had a NIMH2 battery require more than 5400 on a charge?
Of course.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

how do you balance these packs? i havent seen one in person and i cant sem to find whose balancer the ports are made for..?

thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

2mm bullet connector on the bottom of the pack, but as stated in many other posts here by Orion guys, these packs will rarely, if ever, need to be balanced. It isn't something I would worry about, really.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM

When the charger switches from CC to CV charging the battery is ~80% fully charged and it is fine to run it. However, you will get more power if you let it completely charge.
I think this statement is only true if you use 1C charging. At 2C rate you are nowhere close to 80% when the charger swithces to CV.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racer34v
how do you balance these packs? i havent seen one in person and i cant sem to find whose balancer the ports are made for..?

thanks
http://www.teamorion.com/FAQ/Balancing+LiPo

Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

...if you made a 6000+ maH LIPO pack... would the Orion Advantage Carbon charge it OK?
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Of course.
What I meant to ask was, could you fully charge a >5400 mAh pack on a single charge cycle. I was told that all battery types were limited to 5400 mAh on the Advantage. So I assume for a big LIPO pack you would have to restart the charging (no big deal, just adds another step).

Is there indeed a mAh limit for a single LIPO charge cycle?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Apex, I thought that name/car combination was familar. Are you running one in anything??

Thanks mr black, thats what i was after, looks too simple not to be using one of these packs, will be ordering one this afternoon!!

Thanks
Alan
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

What I meant to ask was, could you fully charge a >5400 mAh pack on a single charge cycle. I was told that all battery types were limited to 5400 mAh on the Advantage. So I assume for a big LIPO pack you would have to restart the charging (no big deal, just adds another step).

Is there indeed a mAh limit for a single LIPO charge cycle?
The Mah limit is the same for all batteries 5400mAh.

This is the amount put in not the limit on the size it can charge for instance many times when you recharge say a 3200mAh LiPo when you are done charging it does not take 3200mAh to fill it as you are only putting back into it what you took out.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer34v
Apex, I thought that name/car combination was familar. Are you running one in anything??
I have two, and they fit in all of my cars except my BJ4WE. They fit perfect in the oval cars, though few places around will allow them yet. The fit in the off road cars is great, too, and my new JRXS-R seems to have been designed around one, so it fits like a glove.

The future is here.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Anybody working on a quick-change for platinum lipo?

With Team Orion setting the standards for lipo dimensions and electrical connections, it seems there is now a greater opportunity for RC car makers like Associated, Losi, Tamiya, XRay, etc to provide quick-change battery mechanisms in their car designs. Electric main events could be longer, comparable to gas main events. I think this would be popular, especially with the hardcore racer types who are early adopters of lipo. Obviously it would benefit Team Orion by selling more lipos!

Is this something that Team Orion is actively promoting, with sample designs, etc?

Perhaps Kyosho can lead the way in this area with their car designs?

--mark
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im not sure why my motors have been running so hot lately but I have noticed that the heat from the motor is transferring heat to the battery. The battery is coming off warm now after every run. Im about 99% sure its due to the motor and not the battery.

Would this harm the battery in any way?

Theres no visible swelling, the performance of the battery doesnt seem to be affected, its charging normal as usual.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any update on the "heavy" lipo?

Would it be appropriate to go ahead and make a thread about it in the electric off-road section?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.