Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,
What is servo saver and what it can do to rc cars?
By the way im using tt-01 car
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

A servo saver saves you from wrecking your servo when your front wheels hit something hard. The backlash is taken up by the spring action of the servo saver. Downside is that there could be some slop in the servo saver.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by brrrrm
A servo saver saves you from wrecking your servo when your front wheels hit something hard. The backlash is taken up by the spring action of the servo saver. Downside is that there could be some slop in the servo saver.
What slop are you referring?
Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey Mooshu,
Got those chasis pics for you, still waiting on my oil filled shocks though

Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by best of blue
What slop are you referring?
Thanks
Steering slop
Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey dfiantii,

Fantastic car you've got. very neat braiding of the wiring. I like it. What is that long extension jutting out from your servo saver?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Its just a piece of rubber that is screwed on to the screw that holding the the seering collar to the servo saver. I jut put it there so the screw would not cut me. eventually i will upgrade the steering to aluminum parts I can see already that the car is not running straight. Is a little off right now.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use the alloy steering parts with ball bearings. They make the steering very precise. I have also installed the carbon stiffeners at the front which gives more support for the screws that hold the bearings for the steering arms.
What gearing do you run?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Steering slop
any remedy to avoid it?
Lately I read about the steering set, can this hop-ups help improve the slop cause by servo saver?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Steering slop is caused mainly by the play in all the hinges of the steering gear and the flexibility of the steering gear components including the play in your king pins and wheel axles. To reduce slop it you will have to remove the play, but not too much otherwise you cause too much friction. To remove play you can use ball bearings that fit tightly. Another way is to use thin sticky tape that you wind onto the outside of the pins or screws that make up the hinge. Don't use oil to lubricate the hinges that have been treated with sticky tape. The oil dissolves the glue and you end up with a mess. Use graphite powder instead.

The flexibility of the steering gear components also contribute to steering slop. Using metal components that are more rigid than plastic will eliminate that kind of slop.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Steering slop is caused mainly by the play in all the hinges of the steering gear and the flexibility of the steering gear components including the play in your king pins and wheel axles. To reduce slop it you will have to remove the play, but not too much otherwise you cause too much friction. To remove play you can use ball bearings that fit tightly. Another way is to use thin sticky tape that you wind onto the outside of the pins or screws that make up the hinge. Don't use oil to lubricate the hinges that have been treated with sticky tape. The oil dissolves the glue and you end up with a mess. Use graphite powder instead.

The flexibility of the steering gear components also contribute to steering slop. Using metal components that are more rigid than plastic will eliminate that kind of slop.

You explained it nice and precise
But I must admit, I have to read more post in this thread, and do some experimentations to my car, bcoz to be honest i didn't understand some terms and parts of the car you mentioned. (king pins, wheel axles etc )
Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Always good to read up

I don't want to confuse you with my attempts at an explanation, so I'll wait for someone else to help you out.

That setup is very,very clean! I am rather envious of the Spektrum there. Is your motor getting hot already? Again, I would suggest getting another motor such as in the C0-27. of course, it'll still run on your ESC.

So have you done much RC before this? You seem like you're just switching from something...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

I have never RC'd before. Always wanted to get into it as a kid but never could afford it. This is my first car. I have a Tamiya Sport Tuned motor but I am getting my legs wet with the stock motor first. Right now its set with a 58/23 setup. I replaced the propshaft and joints but the shaft seems to be to short. I also replaced all the bushings to teflon ball bearings. So I ordered the shaft from a TB Evo IV today. For now small o-rings inside each propellar joint is making it work until I get the new shaft in. My new Yeah Racing shocks are waiting for me at the Post Office to pick up on monday then I will install them. I am looking at getting a Super Stock RZ or TZ but not sure yet. The ESC gets a little warm but thats about it not hot at all. I read that you need to brake in the motor but hell if I know how to do that. So I have been running it a little full speed once in a while nothing major. Hd my first crash yesterday bent the body but it poped right back out then I did some fine tuning on the steering to try and have it go as straight as possible. Definately getting the Aluminum steering upgrades next month.

Last edited by dfiantii; 10-21-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dfiantii
I read that you need to brake in the motor but hell if I know how to do that.
A properly run-in brushed motor will make a big difference in top speed and acelleration. I connect up to 4 AA batteries and a switch to a new motor. Then I submerge the motor under water (in a sink or saucepan) and turn on the switch. Let the motor run for 10 - 20 seconds while you keep it under water. This runs in the new brushes and shapes them almost perfectly around the commutator (I think that is what it's called) so that there is very little sparking when you run it under full power. I then take out the motor, remove all the wires and batteries and shake it to remove excess water. I then use a hairdryer to dry it (you can never dry it for too long). Then I spray the internals generously with WD40 until it runs freely out of the motor. Then I put a drop of light oil in both bearings at the ends of the shaft and turn the shaft by hand a couple of times before installing it in my car. You will be amazed what difference it makes Don't try this with brushless motors
Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by best of blue

You explained it nice and precise
But I must admit, I have to read more post in this thread, and do some experimentations to my car, bcoz to be honest i didn't understand some terms and parts of the car you mentioned. (king pins, wheel axles etc )
Thanks
Thanks

Try http://www.rctek.com/handling/index.html and http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

These are great sites for reading .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.