TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Two issues:

1: The cell produces more voltage.

2: The cells weigh more, causing a higher load in the motor to accelerate and decellerate.

Even so, the car (at least mine anyway) is faster with the IB cells right now. So, if I am pushing more weight faster than with the GP, that means more total watts are passing through the motor. Even if the percentage of energy converted to heat stays the same, with more energy comes more heat. Thats why they get hotter.

As far as de-tuning, not too sure about that. Why de-tune the motor so overall your car now acts like it has 3300's in it? I haven't de-tuned my motor, but I did gear down one tooth.
Mostly what I have heard is to file a small amount off the leading edge to reduce amp draw abit but i'm not exactly sure if this what they are still doing. I'm sure some of the motor tuners who participate on this site can let you know what they do.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Why are we complaning? Soon LiPo packs are going to come out and their going tobe all the rage. That is if the cost goes down. Soon GP and IB are going to be in the past. MayBe?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Legend

Ditto :

Gona pass buying anymore Nickle Metals & going full bore Orion Li-poly....

Have fun chasing me...
Old 11-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Ditto :

Gona pass buying anymore Nickle Metals & going full bore Orion Li-poly....

Have fun chasing me...
Goodluck not feeling like a cheater... Hell, why not just run 7 instead of 6 cells?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ike
Goodluck not feeling like a cheater... Hell, why not just run 7 instead of 6 cells?
GP3700s and IB3800s two cells that are in use by most racers but are not ROAR legal. Many tracks allow them anyway. I think 3700+ capacity versus 3300 (for the higest capacity legal cells) is a big difference - big enough to notice on track.

Regardless of official legality, I am sure individual tracks will make their own rulings based on the wishes of their customers/racers. I hardly think he will be able to pass of his Platinum battery as a NiMH pack.

One things is for sure, some of these smaller races better revise and/or clarify their battery rules. If not you will see many show up at races with LiPo packs and it will be hard for organizers to turn these people away.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This all happend a few years ago when we went frim NiCd to NiMh. By 2007 LiPo's will be ROAR legal becuase of popular demand as club races will start allowing them as soon as they come out.

My local track will allow LiPo in Mod right away and will allow them in other classes as soon as the racers in that class vote them in.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
GP3700s and IB3800s two cells that are in use by most racers but are not ROAR legal. Many tracks allow them anyway. I think 3700+ capacity versus 3300 (for the higest capacity legal cells) is a big difference - big enough to notice on track.

Regardless of official legality, I am sure individual tracks will make their own rulings based on the wishes of their customers/racers. I hardly think he will be able to pass of his Platinum battery as a NiMH pack.

One things is for sure, some of these smaller races better revise and/or clarify their battery rules. If not you will see many show up at races with LiPo packs and it will be hard for organizers to turn these people away.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me...

For a time my local track was allowing a couple guys to run brushless in stock class, hell they still might be but those guys don't seem to run anymore. There was one specific person that went from a B main driver to an A main driver as a result. Many people were not happy because he had a clear advantage and I think if guys started showing up with Li-pos and tracks allow them to run them it will be a similar scenario. Until there is fairly wide acceptance (not necessarily meaning ROAR legal) of Li-pos it would be a shame for track owners to allow their use.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Ike- you hit on a point when you said the thing about the local guys running brushless but now not running anymore. I worked at a hobby shop for over 3 years and I use to hear from lots of guys that when a new battery or motor or you name the Technology would come out they'd start racing (again). Very few of these guys ever did this, and the one I remeber doing so only did it for a short period.

What's my point? That it doesn't matter the regulars will still race.

As for Li-poly time will tell, but I've been hearing that brushless was supposed take over since '98 and 7 years later it's made little more than a dent.

Now let's get back to GP3700's vs. IB3800's cause that's what this thread is all about. right

Roly
Old 11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ike
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me...

For a time my local track was allowing a couple guys to run brushless in stock class, hell they still might be but those guys don't seem to run anymore. There was one specific person that went from a B main driver to an A main driver as a result. Many people were not happy because he had a clear advantage and I think if guys started showing up with Li-pos and tracks allow them to run them it will be a similar scenario. Until there is fairly wide acceptance (not necessarily meaning ROAR legal) of Li-pos it would be a shame for track owners to allow their use.
My point is that I do not think Wild Cherry would feel like a cheater if the LiPo packs were allowed to be used in the same class as NIMH. If the track allows it, he is not cheating.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PaintingRoly
Now let's get back to GP3700's vs. IB3800's cause that's what this thread is all about. right
Unfortunately it has turned into that
Old 11-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Ike
Ike ...
You already using 3700`s ?
Ooooo ! Noooo ! Guess whut ? LoL !

Rick

Already got to discuss running Li-poly at my track & have full approval as long as I only use um in the mod class....

ORION 4800 Li-Poly
Legal ......
Faster.....

Have fun chasing me with those IB3800`s..... Ha ! Ha !
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Unfortunately it has turned into that

Rick did you miss my post about you getting some packs to Josh for him to test and say what he thinks ? This could end or debate once and for all.

LiPo should be legal if they make them 7.2 volts instead of 7.4v as long as the car meets the weight specs.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Mostly what I have heard is to file a small amount off the leading edge to reduce amp draw abit but i'm not exactly sure if this what they are still doing. I'm sure some of the motor tuners who participate on this site can let you know what they do.
By taking material off the leading edge, you are basically retarding the timing. You will also get a bit longer brush life due to a reduction in brush deflection by the angle where the comm make initial contact with the brush.

I don't think de-tuning for IB's is a good thing to do unless you are looking for more overall life from the motor. Tuned the same, IMO, the IB's are faster than GP's.

At my local track, with 3300's (not brand new, but pretty decent packs) I can only turn a fastest 10.000 lap. With the IB's, I can turn 9.787 (fast lap record in stock) with 9.8-9.95 regular. Explain that, cause the 3800 weigh quite a bit more.....
Old 11-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Rick did you miss my post about you getting some packs to Josh for him to test and say what he thinks ? This could end or debate once and for all.

LiPo should be legal if they make them 7.2 volts instead of 7.4v as long as the car meets the weight specs.
That is how we utilize our team drivers now, for testing product. Although the idea sounds great for a magazine test article.

Of course a test like that has to be blind or else the results arer suspect. I remember an instance way back when I first started Peak. My partner at that time had a brother who used our motors. We were aty a race in San Jose CA and he was pretty happy but needed a little morer power. As a test, we took his motor and did nothing to it, but told him that it should be better now. Give it a try.

Sure enough, the motor was "a lot better" when in fact nothing had been changed.

I see your point about 7.2v. But capacities have increased and been legalized. Cell dimensions have been changed and incorporated into the rules. Why not raise the nominal voltage to 7.4v. I am sure the battery manufacturers can cope with the new specs. They always have.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

wouldnt changing the voltage standard basicly obsolete every battery ever sold up to then as far as being a competitive cell to race with ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.