Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mdoc
wouldnt changing the voltage standard basicly obsolete every battery ever sold up to then as far as being a competitive cell to race with ?
In a sense, yes. But look at modified class racing for instance. Didn't the introduction of 3700 mAh and 3800 mAh cells make anything with less capacity obsolete?

And look at SMC's point of view regaridng IB3800s. Their superiority over any other cell makes every other cell obsolete, right?. I guess that is only if you must run IB3800s to be competitive. Which you do according to some.

We are making cells bigger so they can carry more capacity and they are being improved all the time to produce more power and are more efficient due to lower internal resistance. Why not allow a little more voltage. It is really no different than allowing any other changes.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

didn't the latest pentium make all other previous pentium processors obsolete?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyP
didn't the latest pentium make all other previous pentium processors obsolete?

probably, if we raced them every weekend
Old 11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't think the voltage is as big of deal as the size....they honestly need to get them as close to being like a normal 6 cell as possible......way too many cars would have to be completely redesigned......costing racers big bucks...

Lithium of some sorts, has a bright future in RC.....just don't be blinded by it....companies like Orion, SMC, etc will all figure out how to optimize the performance of the cells just like they did with NicD and NiMH....

Later EddieO
Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
In a sense, yes. But look at modified class racing for instance. Didn't the introduction of 3700 mAh and 3800 mAh cells make anything with less capacity obsolete?
We are making cells bigger so they can carry more capacity and they are being improved all the time to produce more power and are more efficient due to lower internal resistance. Why not allow a little more voltage. It is really no different than allowing any other changes.

good point, it seemed the voltage change was more drastic but in the end better batteries of any kind do the same thing
Old 11-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
I don't think the voltage is as big of deal as the size....they honestly need to get them as close to being like a normal 6 cell as possible......way too many cars would have to be completely redesigned......costing racers big bucks...

Lithium of some sorts, has a bright future in RC.....just don't be blinded by it....companies like Orion, SMC, etc will all figure out how to optimize the performance of the cells just like they did with NicD and NiMH....

Later EddieO
Racers usually get a new car every year anyways. Redesigning the chassis in no big deal as most of the top cars are carbon plate not molded tubs anymore.

LiPo's can be made really small and any shape you want so that really frees the car designers to make real performance improvements.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=EddieO

Lithium of some sorts, has a bright future in RC.....

Later EddieO[/QUOTE]

Yes Li-Poly has a very bright future & the Nickle Metals ?
Not so bright .....

And

That new Orion Li-Poly 4800 ?

Fits all my AE just fine ,cept the 1/12th`s.....

Imagine that , the battery matcher`s don`t even have a clue how to zap Li-poly`s battery`s....

Is`nt that a good thing ?

Even cell voltage for everyone !!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Why not allow a little more voltage. It is really no different than allowing any other changes.
Rick is right. Besides what does 7.2v nominal actually mean? Is the 7.2v pack of Sanyo 1200SCR's I used to race back in 1988 the same as a 7.2v pack of GP3700SP2's...nope!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

7.2V Nominal is every bit as accurate as 7.4V nominal....

my 3-cell VXR LiPo pack is only 11.1V nominal...but I have many hours of use on it before it drops down anywhere near 11.1V on my 3PK voltage readout...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So... how did the GPs do in Cleveland?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well... IB won mod TC I believe... and with a Trinity motor
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ottoman
well... IB won mod TC I believe... and with a Trinity motor
I think Paul won with a Truespeed wound/tuned by Dieter (both of which work at custom works) and SMC cells...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Well, a fully charged IB3800, while racing stock or 19t, probably doesn't even get down to 7.2 volts. I know when I take my car off the track and start discharging, it still takes a minute for it to get to 7.2 volts on about a 17 amp discharge......

The first minute or so, the pack is around 7.6+...ish

So, if LiPo were only 7.4 volts, then it wouldn't be an advantage really. But I am sure the voltage is rated under load, as NiMH are. 1.2 nominal under load. (but not 40 amps) But the IB's are at 35!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm kind of scared to post this info as I have been very active lately and been accused of bashing Orion. The fact is that LiPo can't withstand to the high amp draw we place on these cells in RC car racing. They will not hold up as long as NiMh cells. I was told this info from a leading LiPo manufacturer. Our IB3806E packs have a street price of 45-50 bucks what is the cost of LiPo pack ?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I'm kind of scared to post this info as I have been very active lately and been accused of bashing Orion. The fact is that LiPo can't withstand to the high amp draw we place on these cells in RC car racing. They will not hold up as long as NiMh cells. I was told this info from a leading LiPo manufacturer. Our IB3806E packs have a street price of 45-50 bucks what is the cost of LiPo pack ?
wouldn`t worry about sticking up for your self ,defend yourself by all means
this does not make you a bad person

takes 2 to tango & oscar is fighting the GP corner anyways
so if they bash you, you bash them back

why do you think this thread has a good following (human nature)

li-po is the future though, orion are closest yet to the size thing & amp draw

if it went brushless motors & li-po batts there be no tinckering to make your cars go faster (how boring) yes/no ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.