Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
The iHobby has nothing to do with saving money, rather some other factors. People from Tamiya still went and attended the show over the weekend.

The building is not sold as of now and is still operational from the warehouse.

If you worked at Tamiya you would know more details of what is currently going on. Unfortunately, it is very easy to make assumptions based off what decisions look like and not knowing the logic behind them. Please know that things are changing in the industry and Tamiya is looking at ways to keep up with the market.

And no....Tamiya does not currently offer any F1 bodies to work on the F103GT chassis set.
or ways to stay in the market? we all know attendance is "shifting" towards offroad with onroad TC getting ridiculous.

i'll be just as happy when they post the TCS schedule for next year.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I obviously don't know the reasons for Tamiya's decisions. But, when I asked why Tamiya was not present at last year's show, I was told by the customer service rep. that it was a financial decision. I saw a Tamiya employee there this year. I work as a volunteer with a school rc club. We have received great help from Tamiya. It is a very good company and obviously successful one. I just remember a few years ago when Tamiya was there with their displays. David Jun was there demonstrating the tanks and there electronic battle capabilities. The students came back talking about that. Jacobsen was there talking about his TNX. It was great and many of the students came back to our meetings enthused. I own five Tamiya vehicles. I like Tamiya products and I would like to see them do more to promote their rc products at the grass roots level. My information about the Tamiya facility came from other forums.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tamiya wants to be at every hobby show there is, but of course, they are trying to figure out which ones make sense for there. There were some important people who went this year (oh yeah and Fred...) to look around. I wish I knew the details of why and what they are figuring out, but I don't ask, and I couldn't tell if I did know.

Like Chris said above, the industry is changing A LOT for every company and Tamiya wants to be in the industry so they have to change to keep up. I also want more ALMS style bodies (i.e. Audi, Porsche, Acura, Lola....) and from what I have heard they still want to as well!!!

By the way, feedback goes a long way in this industry. They like to hear what people want to see!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

anyone looking for one cheap with a bunch of hop-ups look here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190147
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default F103GT for silver-can class

Hi folks,

The regional indoor series around here runs a 'GT' class which is any 1/10th chassis, silver-can motors and rubber tires. It seems to me that the F103GT is the perfect car for this class (light, efficient, inexpensive).

There seems to be quite a few hop-ups available (especially from 3 Racing). My question to you is, what hop-ups would everyone recommend to get the best running version of this car. I'm looking for things that will:

a) Increase speed and handling
b) Increase durability
c) Improve tunability

I have experience with traditional 1/10th 4WD touring cars but this 'pan-like' chassis would be a new thing for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Foam bumper for touring body on F103GT chassis.

Hi.
My Courage body is very beat up and I would like to put a different Tamiya body such as the Ferrari 360. I would like to put a large foam bumper like the one shown in the post #1 of this thread. Where can I get one of those?
Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

The bumper you're referring to i similar to the stock TA05 bumper. You can also buy the Tamiya bumper block and carve your own. It works well and it's very dense
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you.

Is anyone selling the F201 wheel conversions for F103GT?
How does the F103GT drive with the wide F201 tires? Better? Worse?
Right now I am using Type A slicks in the rear and kit supplied tires in the front on my F103GT and it drives very nicely.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Do the F201 wheels not fit straight on to the F103GT?
or is it a wheel diameter problem? 'cos I'm sure Touring (foam) wheels fit direct on to the F201 like they do on the 103GT.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r56mini
Thank you.

Is anyone selling the F201 wheel conversions for F103GT?
How does the F103GT drive with the wide F201 tires? Better? Worse?
Right now I am using Type A slicks in the rear and kit supplied tires in the front on my F103GT and it drives very nicely.
Originally Posted by NiMo
Do the F201 wheels not fit straight on to the F103GT?
or is it a wheel diameter problem? 'cos I'm sure Touring (foam) wheels fit direct on to the F201 like they do on the 103GT.
I dont know if the wheels fit direct on the F103GT,but one of my friends went to the point of mounting F201 tires on his F103. For all the effort the F201 tire and wheels combo just stunk. A standard F103 with foams,or rubber,had way more grip all around than the F201 tire combo. The tires looked better scale wise but they are just not up to it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by magerp
That is sad to hear. In my opinion, this doesn't make business sense because the Courage seams to be popular, thus making money for Tamiya. I would think Tamiya would want to expand this product line to make more money.

P.S. If Tamiya is only making kits for fun, maybe I should spend my hard earned money on a different company, for fun.
Hi magerp,

There is obviously a racing side to Tamiya. It seems focused on world domination at the 4wd touring level. Off-road is now another project that is on the rise. So I wouldn't give up yet at the enthusiast level yet. The GT is a fun and easy car to own and run. We run ours in 30 min. races with a mandatory battery change. So I believe it's perfect for that.

I love how the Ferrari 360 fits on the chassis. We've figured out how to make the Porsche 911 from HPI to look good with option parts and off-set tires. Plus the Courage looks killer. I think if you look back several guys did a really cool job making other cars just by using the courage body set.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
I dont know if the wheels fit direct on the F103GT,but one of my friends went to the point of mounting F201 tires on his F103. For all the effort the F201 tire and wheels combo just stunk. A standard F103 with foams,or rubber,had way more grip all around than the F201 tire combo. The tires looked better scale wise but they are just not up to it.
Our very own Troy Kendall deserves the kudos for this one:

Kendall F201 Wheel Conversion
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

wats d best shell to use on a GT?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone dropped a Novak 17.5 in Tamiya's DDTC? If so, what did you gear it? Thanks, Don
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

How hard are one of these cars to drive under the TCS Rules?
Just kicking around the idea of one this year.
Thank you for the input
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.